The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

The First Fix! (SXM junkies)
Posted by: BIGDENX (---.53.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2008 07:03PM

THE FIRST FIX!

SO...You know you're an SXM junkie IF.......

You’ve got 6000 AA FF miles and you go out and buy 19,000 more so you can justify a “free trip”

SSBB web cams are running in a background window 8 hrs a day when you’re at work.

Your license plate reads “ SXM-4ME

You read the DAILY HERALD online more than your hometown paper.

You negotiate a “sand gravity” clause in your health care package.

You named the twins Martin and Martine.

Only cure for your migraine is a pending airline reservation to SXM

Actually considering a YARIS or CHARADE for the family car.

Drive 4 blocks when you see smoke thinking it may be a LOLO.

Surf eBay for $99.00 a week SXM timeshare rentals.

Always read Jeff Berger’s e-mails to the finish.

Can covert Euros to $$$ in your head but have trouble determining 15 % tip on your restaurant bill.

BIGDEN

( CO- DEPENDENTS add some more! )

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The First Fix! (SXM junkies)
Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2008 07:10PM

I LOVE your enthusiasm!!!!! You have it pegged to a tee. All things in my office at work: My background image is the one of the plane shooting over the Maho beach, I play Reggae music all day, I have a mini slideshow going all day of our lastest trip to the island, I have SXM kachkees all around, and at home there are more photos of the island on my walls of the house than artwork and I'm an artist!

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 08, 2008 09:35PM

You are one if you have flown to SXM on Eastern,Air Florida ,TransAmerica,Pan Am, AA,5 Star or using a DC10,and its equal,747, AirBuss & 727's.Also if you now remember being in 3 versions of PJIA since the 70's.Or remember the $5.00 departure Tax window.

Date: June 08, 2008 09:39PM

Hey Bob!

No rehab. gonna cure you!

I thought your first trip was by Arawak canoe........

Denis

Posted by: contessa (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2008 07:25AM

Den.....how true!! Love the shot of the runway!!hot smiley
I've got paintings of Orient, Grand Case and flowers by Minguet. I can't move within my house without reminders of SXM.....nor do I want to forget! I read anything I can get my grubby paws on that took place in SXM! It's the
'feeling' that wins it's way into the very being of our souls!!

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: jimandi (206.253.145.---)
Date: June 09, 2008 11:20AM

Great picture. When was it taken? Can not tell if that is the old or new terminal.
Sylvia

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: June 09, 2008 03:48PM

iNCREDIBLE PHOTO. THANKS FOR POSTING IT.

Posted by: carolv (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 09, 2008 05:41PM

come on now-at least 20% please-easier to figure out too

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outRe: The First Fix! (SXM junkies)
Posted by: irish1223 (75.130.65.---)
Date: June 10, 2008 01:42PM

Or if you collect every great shot of SXM that's posted online! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Nice shot, Den. OMG, We're going through such withdrawal. November, November, November.

Robin & Ed

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 10, 2008 02:04PM

Hi Sylvia, this is definitely the old terminal building. If you look to the middle left of the photo, you will see a small yellow building with 2 doors and 4 windows. That was a part of the old terminal.

Date: June 12, 2008 07:35AM

Hey Denis, You got that right,HaHa.I guess both of us can't be cured of our passions. Nice photo with the new entrance road for the planes to enter the runway......Did you ever see the old DC-something that comes in from PR to deliver bread a few times a week.

Date: June 12, 2008 09:49AM

Hey Bob!

A couple for you in black and white and colour.

Less and less of the DC-3 appearing at the Princess. A SHORTS ( boxcar ) delivers the bread now in the morning.

The DC-3's are not too popular with the airport folks as they drip oil wherever they park. Also a fire in the landing gear a few years ago was an incident they didn't like.

From the tower; 2006

From the fence:

The old terminal during demolition. Got some nice souvenirs that week!

One more...sad days!

ENJOY!

Denis

Posted by: gia (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 15, 2008 10:37PM

"If loving you is wrong I don't want to be right!"spinning smiley sticking its tongue out That is my St Martin Junkie song.I love it and yes all things in my office from mouse pad to screen saver are St Martin. Itis my favorite place in the world. My bedroom is decorated like a Sonesta Maho experience!

Date: June 21, 2008 06:20PM

Hey Denis, I remember when PJIA first opened the new ticket counter section in the demo photo.As I recall the new immigration section was opened at the same time. in 82/83. I didn't mind using the original airport section because SXM wasn't discovered yet and you really felt like you were on a Carib island.Amazing how time shares & the airport both grew together with time.Funny yrs ago with Pan Am and others SXM had more daily flights and a smaller airport.Once we had to wait in a Pan Am plane for 2 hrs before we could takeoff because the ONE guy who knew how to put fuel in wasn't at work.Pan Am sent a car to his home and brought him to the airport.Those were the DAYS before cell phones. haha

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 21, 2008 10:23PM

Uh, Bob,

Just for the record, we had almost the same experience two years ago during Carnival. We were all boarded on a late departure of AA660 - and after boarding and waiting for about 45 minutes, the pilot finally announced over the speaker that he was sorry for the delay, but the plane needed to have its fuel tanks topped off and the only set of keys to the aviation fuel truck had left for the day in the pocket of the driver. They were trying to locate him at Carnival via his cell phone to come back with the keys. And so we sat and so we waited. Only in SXM.

Respectfully,

pat
:-) :-)

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |