The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

French vs Dutch prices
Posted by: BigMacIain (---.cpe.mountaincable.net)
Date: June 11, 2008 09:48AM

How do prices compare between the two sides?
With the Euro trading at around 1.5 USD, if something costs $10 on the Dutch side but a comparable item or dish costs 10 Euros then the French side is going to be more expensive. However if it were $15 but only 10 Euros then the balance would be equal. How is it? Will we pay more for the ambiance on the French side?

That's a rather complicated way of putting it but I hope you get my meaning.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: French vs Dutch prices
Posted by: BIGDENX (---.53.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2008 10:37AM

Hey!

That's possibly the most difficult question to answer for locals and visitors alike.

It's a matter of personal preference as to what you really like. If you want a taste of upscale French cuisine it's certainly available.

When you're dining at Le Something for the ambiance, the right side of the menu is then unimportant perhaps.

We handle the price differences by homing in on the restaurants we really like. Seldom do we "fine dine" so the Dutch side is where we go.

I would imagine restauranteurs on the French side take into consideration the difference in prices and adjust accordingly to capture the U.S. dollar ( this is becoming more and more difficult tho. ) but remember; Americans and Canadians are not the only visitors to the Island and Euro diners find French side prices very attractive in comparison to home.

In relation to other places we visit in the Caribbean SXM is possibly the best bang for your buck. Considering the variety of choices you soon forget price and establish your comfort zone in restaurants offering what you like and in good locations.

A trip to Grand Case and Marigot "window shopping" the menus is recommended. You can be sure that Dutch side eateries are all just about the same in way of price for similar items.....competition is keen.

Bon appetit!

BIGDEN

Posted by: BigMacIain (---.cpe.mountaincable.net)
Date: June 11, 2008 10:42AM

Merci bien, Denis.

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: June 11, 2008 10:50AM

I'm not much of a gourmet eater so that need is lost on me as long as the meals are good and the setting is good so which side of the island isn't all that important. You can get some incredible food on the dutch side of the island where the US dollar will go father. If your looking for settings and ambiance try Chesterfields, Captain Olivers, Antoines and Tje French Touch for starters for very good food and all round dining experiences. If you need to dine French and want the ambiance that goes with it and higher end gourmet food experience as long as your willing to pay for it no problem mon as there are too many places to name that meet these requirements on the French side of the island but do be prepared to pay more.

Posted by: eve (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2008 03:18AM

Interesting question ... People seem to focus on the Euro vs $ but don't consider price differences. The other difference that is often ignored is the 15% service charge added to most bills on the Dutch side vs. the service charge being included IN the price on the French side.

When we were in SXM in March and wanted to go to a few of our favorite restaurants in Marigot, I did a little "comparison shopping" on things we like to eat. Now this is a very a restaurant-specific observation but we found the Euro prices to be lower than the $ prices - ex. petite filet 22 Euros vs $28, profiteroles - 8 Euros vs $12. With the current 1.5 conversion, yes, the French side is more expensive but when you add in the 15% service charge on the Dutch side, it's not as bad as it seems. From an out-of-pocket perspective, you have to look at the total cost.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |