- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
penal island?
Posted by: mark (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 15, 2002 10:13PM

not sure of the spelling but does anyone have any info on this island. Heard from someone it is a nice day trip but i am not sure of my source. If anyone could expand on this it would be greatly appreciated..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: penal island?
Posted by: Elizabeth (---.san.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2002 12:04AM

It must be Pinel Island. Great day trip, either on a charter boat or you can drive to the northern end of the island (St.Martin) and take the ferry. Can't think of the name of the place where the ferry landing is, but the island is small and there is really only one road that goes all the way around, so you can't miss it. The water is wanderful at Pinel and it's perfect for snorkeling. You can get some lunch there, too, if you're not bringing your own. The most fun is to go on a charter boat. They feed you and they have all the snorkeling equipment and stop and the best spots for snorkeling. Have fun!

Re: pinel island?
Posted by: noelle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 16, 2002 08:49AM

pinel. its not really day trip in the sense that its right there off st martin- i think you could swim to it! the bost there, the "ferry", which is really an outboard, takes under 5 min and costs $5 round trip and leaves every 30 min from 9am ish to 4pm ish.

consider it as just anouther beach on st martin. we go almost every other day. calm water and shallow for a long way, its really a large sandbar. two places to eat, a couple little shops, chair rentals. it can get crowded when the ships are in.

Date: March 16, 2002 08:50AM

the ferry landing is at the french cul de sac, between grand case and orient. very easy to find. really there is no need for a charter boat at all. it goes over frequently and costs only $5

Date: March 17, 2002 10:46AM

thanks for the info- is that the best place for snorkeling at St.Martin. sounds like a great day trip cuz I love snorkeling, swimming, and being lazy around the beach. any alcohol being served at Pinel Island? Does anyone know what days the ships aren't in port? We are going this Saturday..

Posted by: vic and steph (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2002 12:36PM

No cruise ships in on 3/21 4/4 only one a day 4/5 to 4/8 and 4/11 to 4/14. Hope this helps have a nice trip.
Vic

Date: March 17, 2002 09:34PM

sure does- thanks alot

Posted by: bob (---.bucknell.edu)
Date: March 17, 2002 09:46PM

There are two beach bars on Pinel - one french and one local. The local is not open every day, but has cheaper prices and serves barbecued ribs, chicken burgers etc. There is also a neat shop that sells somehand made items and beach clothing. The best snorkeling is around the point past the french cafe where the water gets deeper - you can go to the north beach by snorkeling, however as yhou round the point you will encounter some rougher water to go through until you reach the calmer area of the north beach. you can enter that beach at the closest end since it is sandier- the upper end is more rocky. You can also reach the north beach by walking over the hill to the left behind the local bar and it is usually deserted. We usually take a cooler with drinks since it is cheaper than the beach bars. I can get crowded on Sundays and cruise ship days

Date: March 18, 2002 12:01AM

there is alcohol, but no frozen drinks- no electricity to operate a blender.

there are actually 2 shops.

and no, the best snorkelling is at creole rock off grand case.

go to www.traveltalkonline.com for a cruise schedule

Posted by: bob (---.bucknell.edu)
Date: March 18, 2002 08:28PM

I wouldn't advise swimming from Pinel to creole rock - best to take a boat to the site due to current and depth of water.

Posted by: MRB (---.waterford.indigo.ie)
Date: March 22, 2002 11:05AM

Lots to see if you snorkel at Pinel - the usual lobsters, lots of exotic fish, an occasional barracuda, and you can dive for fresh conch in the huge conch bed!! Have fun!

Posted by: Rebecca (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2007 04:46AM

This was our favorite island beach of the three islands we visited. Beautiful, calm waters, small beach. Geat fir snorkling, and there is a resturant on premises.

Posted by: cliff (---.155.212.44.conversent.net)
Date: December 19, 2007 04:37PM

I have read in some other forums that the main beach is clothing optional, while in other forums I have read it is not. Does anyone know for sure?

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2007 04:40PM

Pinel's main beach is topless but not C/O

Posted by: KZ (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: January 11, 2008 06:04AM

Pinel Island is very serene and lovely with a smooth, sandy ocean bottom around the area where the beach chairs are set up. Just don't go after it has rained heavily. From our experience the beach, already not a very big sand bar, will be reduced to a very thin strip of sand.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |