The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

using cabs to get around
Posted by: tfx (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2008 03:10PM

i'll be staying at westin first week of march. is it practical to use cabs to get to french side for dining/shopping? for example, what could I expect to pay for round trip to grand case or marigot from dawn beach area?
I'm a first timer, trying to decide whether to rent a car or not.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: using cabs to get around
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2008 04:41PM

it really isn't practical to use cabs all the time. It can be quite expensive. Definitely rent a car especially if you are at the Westin, which isn't that close to anything.

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: February 11, 2008 08:26AM

Maybe you want to take a taxi to Westin and arrange for a car there after your therre for a day or to and get a feel of the place. That area is really easy to travel in and theres a lot less traffic say than in Marigo or Simpson Bay and it is much less expensive to drive yourself than to depend on cabs all the time but if your skepticle of driving and partying at night you can still use cabs and probly still come out ahead of the game.

Posted by: tfx (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 06:36PM

thx. great advice. decided to rent a car, if I can drive in boston ...
thanks, barbara!

Posted by: johnt (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 12:51PM

just had to add a warning here about cabs late at night-last year my daughter and a group of friends (about 20 of them male and female in their late 20s) used cabs and vans when they went out clubbing late at night (smart thing if drinking) Upon leaving Bliss they were approached by a guy asking them if they needed a cab-when they started following the guy to his van they noticed it was not marked as a taxi so they smartly told the guy no thanks and went back to Bliss and waited for a real taxi-just a warning guys

Posted by: hofstetter (---.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 01:08PM

We stayed last year at Oyster Bay which is next the the Westin and as muchas I hated driving it is the only way to go!

Posted by: Linne (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2008 01:34PM

Be careful, the cabbies will rob you blind. What I mean is that they will take you the long way, look to get stuck in traffic and I might add, don't obey traffic laws.

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 24, 2008 02:39PM

Linne,

I'm not sure I'm getting your point regarding the cabbies.

It's not like there are metered fares - aren't the fares government set? So even if they take the long way and do get stuck in traffic (which I find really hard to believe they would do intentionally since it's actually wasting their time that they might otherwise have been picking up more riders in....) they're not getting any more money for it, are they?

Respectfully,
pat
:-) :-)

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |