The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Marigot Market and bad traffic at what hours?
Posted by: Mikki (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 06, 2008 12:52AM

Hello! can someone please tell me is it worth going to the Marigot market ( I think Wed morning) for the fresh fish, etc? to bring back to the kitchenette to cook..

Second question: I heard the traffic can get really bad in St. Maarten, is this at all hours of the day? is the traffic worse on the French side/Dutch side?
Thank you so much smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marigot Market and bad traffic at what hours?
Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 10:16AM

It depends on where you are. I understand, though I have not purchased there, that there is a new fish market in Simpson Bay. If you're in that area, then that might be a better choice for you. As far as traffic is concerned, it's generally worse on the Dutch side because of all the overdevelopment there. Traffic through the Simpson Bay area is at a standstill whenever the bridge is open. The traffic is bad going through Marigot just about any time of day, and particularly bad around 6 PM or so. Not sure about any other time, because we only traveled through at that time. Friday nights seem to be worse than any other night. Just be prepared to spend twice as long as you think it will take to get from one point to another and relax..you're on vacation!

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: January 16, 2008 12:02PM

mIKKI, Yes it's worth going to the Marigo market on Wednesday for the market it self and for the fresh fish as long as you get there really early. Really really early. And really early the traffic usually isnt all that bad. Traffic can be bad all over the island from Gran Case to Marigot and from Sandy Ground to Cupcoy to Maho to Simpson to Cole and over the hill to Philipberg at any time of the day for any kind of reason or for no reason at all but the worse I've seen is around Marigo and from the airport through Simpson to Philipsberg. And I've seen it be easy travelling before 9am and usually after 6 or 7 pm. All depends on the day and on whats going on but generally the island traffic patterns stink unless your going from Grand Case to Orient and out that way into Philipberg and then its usually no big deal at all.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2008 12:27PM

every morning you can get fresh fish at the market. it is open every day. it is just that Wednesdays and Saturdays there are more vendors there.
but to get fish, get there early.. by 8 AM at least!
you can also get fresh fish at Oyster Pond on Friday night around 6 and I think Tuesday or Wednesday at 6 also.

Posted by: Ralph & Denise (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 26, 2008 09:58AM

Barbara1,

We will be staying at Orient Beach, where is Oyster Pond is the fish market? We are interested in buying fresh lobster several times a week and other fresh fish. What is our best bet.

Thanks, Denise

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2008 10:02AM

Denise
There really isn't a fish market but there is a boat that comes in 2X a week and has fresh fish which you buy off the boat.
It is on the water docked opposite the Quai Oest restaurant in the Captain Oliver Complex.
I know it comes in Friday night at 6 PM.
and one other time during the week, but I am not sure if it is Tuesday or Wednesday.
The folks at the restaurant or at Captain Oliver's Marina would know.

Posted by: Ralph & Denise (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 26, 2008 10:42AM

Thank you for the info, we will check it out.

Denise

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |