The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

SXM
Posted by: sunshinegirl (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 20, 2007 08:21PM

I have been traveling to St. Maarten since 1992 - we visit at least 3 times per year. I've always felt safe here, although I have noticed that crime on the island has risen. I've noticed (in my opinion) that most of the crime related issues come from people from other Islands. I noticed about 5 years ago the influx of people from other carribean islands seem to be the ones bringing the crime in. I think St. Maarten needs to focus on illegal's and get rid of them. My husband and son were in St. Maarten in June 2007, they were shopping in a store and my husband noticed this young lady whose arms were all banadaged. He couldnt help but ask her what happened. She said her and her girlfriend were haning out at the Sunset beach bar and her girlfriend wanted to go home. She didn't feel like going home so she stayed. When she started walking back to her hotel (which was nearby) she was mugged - she wouldnt give up her purse so the attacker started slashing her with a knife. When she started screaming a car pulled up the guy jumped in and off they went. As far as I know they never caught the guy. I've see busboys steal waiters tips, I had stuff stolen out of the trunck of my car - but I learned really quick. Never get me on that one again. Just like anywhere else in the world, you have to be street smart and be aware of your surroundings. St. Maarten is still our favorite place in the world and we are going next month.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SXM
Posted by: JTR (208.123.22.---)
Date: September 21, 2007 07:55AM

Welcome to the Carribean!

It will only get worse. There is a huge flight of people from many countries in the region, Haiti, Dominican Rep., Venezuela. Tourists are easy pick for these thugs. Government too small and corrupt to do much of anything. Nice place to visit though. travel in large groups, lock all up, do NOT invest in real estate,unless you don't care if you lose what you are investing.

It's too bad that these things are happening. But it is becoming class war fare as the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. This is the sign of things to come for the United States.

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |