The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Is employment possible or should I keep dreaming?
Posted by: Kim (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 24, 2000 11:13PM

I would really love to get an answer to this so I can either find a way to somehow forget about this idea, or have something to look forward to and start saving money!

I just got back from St. Maarten on the 13th, my 3rd trip to the island in just over a year. In short, I ABSOLUTELY love this island. I love the atmosphere, the people, the weather, everything! This last trip I went by myself - I stayed with a friend there, but I rented a car and spent the days alone, and just felt like I belonged there.

I am in my mid-20's and I am ready for a change, as well as a new challenge, in my life. I am not enjoying my current job, I have dreamed of living on an island and I would love to find a job in St. Maarten. I can't express how great my desire to live and work there is. I am currently in an Accounting-type position at a promotional marketing agency - great place, and I love numbers, but the job just isn't what I expected.

Can anyone please give me ANY, and I mean ANY info., tips, suggestions on how to go about finding employment on the island? And also let me know if it's even possible or if I should just keep dreaming! I can't remember the last time I wanted something so bad! Any info. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: Is employment possible or should I keep dreami
Posted by: Mar (---.new-york-26-27rs.ny.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 25, 2000 06:45AM

If you are from the U.S. and want to work on an island you should check out Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Croix and St. John. One good thing about working outside of the U.S. is you can avoid income tax. I think that would apply to St. M but not the U.S. islands. Living on an island is our dream, which we probably will never do, but we are moving to Florida. Good Luck and go for your dream. (P.S. My husband is a computer wizard and was offered a job in Curacao. You should get into programming or something like that.)

Posted by: Vicki (---.bellatlantic.net)
Date: April 25, 2000 08:44AM

Your dream sounds exciting but remember the old phrase, the grass is greener on the other side. While we were staying in sxm we spoke to a young American woman who had the same dreams as you and had been living there for 3 years. I was shocked to hear her complaints about her life and how she has decided to leave to go back to the US. One problem she had (although she may have been quite naive) was the men. She had trouble dealing with any kind of relationship due to the different style of living there and a different type of culture. She also found that the style of living she was accustomed to had to drastically change because of her new environment. Most importantly, she found that there was no family and that is one thing that young people take for granted (especially during illness or emergency). I am certainly not telling you what to do because I think it is everyone's dream to live in a wonderful place with the ideal temperature but before you get on that plane to fly to a new life, make sure that you realize ALL the differences and make a pact with yourself to accept what will be new to you. Keep in mind that people who move to another country and actually stay there are usually people who are completely open to change and secure in their lives. If you are this type of person, go for it, good luck and enjoy!

Posted by: Lorette (196.2.44.---)
Date: April 28, 2000 03:21PM

I am also curious about employment on St.Martin. I am from South Africa and I have no idea how and where to go to find any info on the topic. I' ve been in the tourist bussiness for 6 months now and I really enjoy working with people. I would really apprecaite it if anyone who can help me with some answers can contact me. I am very flexible and like to take on a challenge.

Posted by: GerryG (---.splitrock.net)
Date: April 28, 2000 08:42PM

Hello,

Anyone interested in working outside the US may want to take a look at the web site www.escapeartist.com. The site holds all kinds of links and information about working and living abroard (including the carribean).. I would think that by contacting some of the employment resources listed there one should be able to learn a great deal.

GG

Posted by: Thanks for the link, Barb! (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 30, 2000 10:31PM

chek this out, it may help you
www.caribbeanjobfair.com

Posted by: Bob (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2000 08:42PM

if you're the same Kim that was asking about the car - check out this web sute and email me:

[www.singlesscenejunkets.com]

we might be able to work something out

Bob

Re: RE: Is employment possible or should I keep dreami
Posted by: mlb (---.7.33.242.caribserve.net)
Date: September 09, 2007 02:01AM

before taking that step it is important that you secure an employer who is willing to request the relevant work and residence permits allowing you to work and reside on the island prior to your arrival. not following the right procedures will certainly cost you much stress and frustrations at some point or the other possibly resulting in deportation back to the usa.

they are very strict where this is concerned, so that should be your first step to realizing your dreams.

hope to have been helpfull.

Re: Is employment possible or should I keep dreaming?
Posted by: SXMaholic (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 09, 2007 11:37AM

It is my understanding that there is a lot of paperwork necessary. You must be able to fill a void that the locals cannot fill first. Also, if you do get a job "off the books" you will eventually get caught and be 'deported' back home.

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 09, 2007 12:03PM

I'm not sure why this was dragged up again but just wanted everyone to note, the OP was made way back in 2000. Hopefully, the OPer has figured it out already.

Respectfully,

pat
:-) :-)

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2007 12:28PM

yep. Pat. I agree
thread closed

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |