- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What to do with teens on SXM
Posted by: Drew (---.rightminds.com)
Date: June 15, 2007 10:41AM

Heading to St. Martin at the end of June for 5 nights. This will be my third visit, but the first with my sons, ages 16 and 15.

Any suggestions for where to go and what to do to keep them entertained? We're staying in Marigot and will have a rental car. Will probably spend a fair amount of time at Orient, and will also do a trip to Pinel. Not too interested in taking a ship ride. They're both jock types -- athletic and competitive, so they're not much into the sightseeing and laying around (though they will do some of that).

Thanks~

P.S. What's the sales tax on the island these days? 8%? Is it different on the Dutch side than the French? Is it different for things like rental cars versus food?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What to do with teens on SXM
Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 15, 2007 08:14PM

Drew,

Travelling to St. Martin with your 15 and 16 year old sons is pretty cool. I have to admit, I chuckled a bit at your post the first time I read it....and then I slapped myself in the side of the head and decided to get serious here. I doubt you'll have much trouble entertaining them, particularly if you're taking them to Orient Beach.

Aside from the people watching, which I'm sure they'll find very interesting while on Orient, you have countless other activities there which they can take part in along with the obvious swimming and typical water based activities. There's a water trampoline, wave runners, and if the winds aren't too strong, there's parasailing, and I believe there's water skiing there, too, all for a fee of course and all within the immediate Orient Beach area.

And not too far from Orient there's a stable where you can arrange horseback rides along the beach and eventually swimming the horses in the water at some point.

And if you can tear them away from the beach you could always try a trip on the 12 metre racing boats located in Philipsberg and I'm willing to bet they'll never forget this one. I've never known anyone, male or female, young or older who hasn't enjoyed this particular activity. But a word to the wise if you want to do this - it's one activity you want to book almost as soon as you arrive on the island because they do limited trips and the cruise ships always get first priority if they're in port. And if they're not, in the off season they do limited trips period!

Another activity they would probably enjoy would be a trip to Loterie Farm and the zip lines. We've never done them and know nothing about them but people who've been there/done that all say they're great fun.

As far as Island prices - The French side deals in Euro's so everything there is a little more expensive than on the Dutch side because of this but many restaurants will do one for one dollar v Euro which can result in a considerable savings. This generally only will apply to cold cash and Traveler Checks and you will pay the full rate if using a credit card.

Sales taxes? Hmm, I didn't think there was one on either side beyond hotel taxes and rental cars and a three percent turn-over tax some restaurants charge on the Dutch side (although the law says, if I'm not mistaken, they're not supposed to charge it to the patron....).

I'm sure if I'm left anything out or made any errors here someone will step up and let you know and should you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Respectfully,

pat
:-) :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2007 08:16PM by pat.

Posted by: Drew (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2007 01:00AM

Great info! Thanks Pat. You're right-on with your suggestions. The boys should love those activities, assuming I can tear them away from Orient. ;-)

Never heard of the racing boats or the Loterie Farm.

Of course now I'm wondering where I can find prices on the various things you mentioned. Hopefully the brain trust here can offer some insight so I can do some preliminary budgeting.

The only reason I asked about the sales tax is because I don't remember paying it when I rented a car in 2005, but I probably did. Does 8% sound right to the Forum brain trust?

Thanks again for the detailed info.

Date: June 16, 2007 08:09AM

Drew,

The eight percent sounds about right for a car rental.

The boats are Stars and Stripes, Dennis Connors old boat from hmmmm, the late 80's, I'm thinking; True North; Canada I; and one other whose name escapes me. Everyone works after some basic instruction and you can only pray for a windy day.

Cost of the 12 metre America Cup Racing can vary between $65. to $80. per person depending on where and how you book it but again, it's an incredible day trip experience. If you choose to buy the picture of your sail it's another $20 to $25. and the perpetual tee shirts run about the same and up but we have seen people come back a year or so later and trade them in for new ones and the 12 metre crew accepted it as the norm. And lastly, the tips for the crew. It's by all means NOT an inexpensive trip but it is one you'll not forget.

No clue as to the prices for the zip lines but I do know that lunch/dinner at Loterie is supposed to be an experience in and of itself. We're eager to try it on our next trip. Also, if you're tempted to go to the top of Paradise Peak I understand there's a hiking group that may go out of the Loterie area and this is supposedly a much safer trip to the top than driving up there yourself.

Have a great trip.

pat

Posted by: Elizabeth (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 17, 2007 08:58AM

Hi everyone....

I just checked my rental car form from this past year and the tax for the rental said 5%. Not sure if this was an old form they were using because they included the tax so I cannot verify but that's what the form said.... Hope this helps.

Posted by: Michele&Terry (---.vianet.ca)
Date: June 21, 2007 09:52PM

Hey pat

Great suggestions! Our boys are both teenagers now (Aahgg!) and what we used to plan for them before is completely useless - totally boring - not worth doing - who invented teenage boys anyways??? We'll try for the old stand-bys of beach/pool/food and hope for the best.

You notice that I am not mentioning water balloons.....

Michele and Terry

Date: June 22, 2007 06:24AM

Michele,

The creator of teenage boys is probably the same fool who created teenage girls but the good news is, they do eventually grow out of it and become totally wonderful again. Eventually. Keep the faith!!

I forgot to mention the Rhino Riders to Drew but I'm betting his boys (and yours) would absolutely love this activity.

And lastly, how was Barbados and Mistress Claudia?

No water balloons in November - perhaps March?

Be happy,

pat

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: June 22, 2007 11:24AM

Can you say T R O L L ? Do you understand the word T R O L L ? Beyond your ignorance I am only surprised the modz let your post stand.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2007 12:14PM

It's gone now

Posted by: dpreston617 (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2007 10:08PM

Having survived 3 teenagers, bait or chum. smiling smiley

Posted by: mlana (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 01, 2007 07:07PM

What are Rhino Riders?

Marcy

Posted by: daisy304 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2007 07:36PM

Rhino Riders are awesome and leave out of the Simpson Bay area a couple of times a day. Rhinos are wave runners that are built into a small boat. I guess you could say it is like a jet ski bumper boat. There is a guide that takes a small group through Simpson Bay over to the French Side. Once there they stop at an area for snorkeling (they provide the gear) and then return back. I believe the whole trip was about 2 12 to 3 hours. Our guide was excellent and really gave us a great tour of one side of the French then Dutch side of SXM. Highly recommend it. Have fun!

Posted by: Michael (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 20, 2007 12:36AM

Have they changed the water trampoline at Orient Bay? We are taking kids this time. And I would trade 3 teenage boys for 3 teenage girls (out of 5 kids total) any day of the century. LOL

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 12:34PM

The water trampoline was still there in April. I'm thinking it was $5 an hour or $10 for the entire day, but don't hold me to that. I'm way past the age of water trampolines!!

Posted by: Andy (---.rightminds.com)
Date: July 20, 2007 12:36PM

Michael,

The water trampolines are still at Orient. There are at least two that I can recall from earlier this month when we were there. Cost is $5/hr or $10/day on one. Not sure about the other(s).

If your teen boys are anything like mine, suggest you hit one of the (Dutch Side) grocery stores as soon as you get to the island. The boys seldom stopped eating... especially late at night. Go figure.

Also suggest Turtle Pier near the airport for meals. Great service, fun ambiance, and kid/teen-friendly.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |