The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Driving map of SXM
Posted by: Doreen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 21, 2006 09:05PM

Can anyone tell me where I can find a "driving" map of SXM? I want a map with all the roads on them not just the major roads. All the maps that I can find don't even show the road that goes by the area that we stay in. I want to drive and explore the island and the basic maps that are all over the net are not enough for me to figure out where I am and where I want to go. I even paid $10.00 for a map and when it was delivered it was just the same map that is on line everywhere. Help???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Driving map of SXM
Posted by: SXMaholic (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2006 06:19AM

That is pretty much what you're going to get. I've never seen a thorough map of the island with all the street names. We've gotten lost many a time but that is part of the St Maarten experience and adventure.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2006 08:22AM

the island is pretty easy to get around on.. we don't have many side roads. If you get lost, in 5 minutes you can find your way back.
don't worry. one spin around the island and you will be oriented X 3.

Posted by: John O (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2006 08:53AM

Doreen,
Here's a thought: Take a walk through your local mall to a chain bookstore and look on a major atlas company's product for their contact information (ex: Delorme in Freeport Maine) Maybe someone there has vacationed in SXM and noted the absence of detailed maps. They might have the professional contacts needed to track down a company that covers carribean locations. A more expensive, but far more fun way would be to fly to SXM, walk in to a local gendarme station and ask how to get to 543 Godforsaken Lane. Watch what they pull out to look for it.

Posted by: Kipp&Slipp (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 23, 2006 09:05AM

There is a detailed map of St. Maarten, published in 2002, showing the names of literally every street on the Dutch side. (and many on the French)

The map was called "St. Maarten business map" and the cover jacket states that it was sponsored by the Windward Island Chamber of Commerce & Industry.

There is an e-mail listed as: coci@sintmaarten.net

Chamber of commerce has an office at #11 Cannegieter Street, Phillipsburg

We have one copy which we value dearly...........Good Luck

DONT STOP THE CARNIVAL !
KIPP n SLIPP

Posted by: Doreen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 23, 2006 10:09AM

Thanks everyone. Everyone tells us just to drive around to get the feel of the place. We know how to get from the airport to our house, to hospital (just in case) to KFC,a food store, back to Simpson's Bay to eat and party and of course the jewerly stores. But that is just about all. My hubby is the type that needs detailed directions to find anything. Me, I would just rather get into the car and go. Like everyone said, you can't get too lost!

Doreen

Posted by: bobby (---.nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: December 23, 2006 07:32PM

We ran across 2 places on the island that sold detailed maps.
One store was in Maho across from I believe the DQ. It was about $12.00
and the other was a shop across form the marina entrance on the main street in Marigot roughly for the same price.
Both maps were detailed and had all the info you need on them.

Posted by: Dr Doug (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2006 03:18PM

Doreen,

All good info.

Here's another option, but it won't work as you drive about. It is a lot of fun to play with before hand.

Download Google Earth and zoom in to your favorite spots om SXM. You might want to "print screen" a few shots of places you want to explore and take with.

Dr Doug

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |