The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

First Timer
Posted by: Heather (---.royalbank.com)
Date: September 21, 2006 01:57PM

Good afternoon, we will going on first trip to St Martin Oct 4-8th. We are staying at Hotel l'Esplanade. Can anyone give me some suggestions about activities in the area and any insight into the hotel? Thanks, I can't wait to get there!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Timer
Posted by: Allie (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2006 02:33PM

Make sure that you rent a car....this is the best way to see and get around on the island.
Best beaches (I think) are in the Lowlands...Baie Rouge & Longe Baie, beautiful and quite. Don't miss Orient Baie
Best resturants are in Grande Case
Make sure you hit Phillsburg and Marigot for shopping
Day trip to Pinel Island (via speed boat, 3 minute ride!)
Day trip to Anguilla (via Ferry)
Sat AM Marigot open air Market

These are just a FEW of the things that we do everytime we visit.
You have picked a wonderful island to visit!!

Posted by: Heather (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2006 06:42PM

Thank you very much for the information!

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 21, 2006 07:18PM

Heather,

I haven't personally stayed at L'Esplanade but I have never heard a bad word about it and in fact, most who stay there rave about how good it is so I'm thinking you won't be disappointed.

Rent that car and get out and around the island and see as much of it as you can squeeze in and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

pat
:-)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 22, 2006 10:33PM

Allie..please tell us all about the "speed boat" to Pinel Island you mentioned above. From where does it launch...what's the $$...ETC?? We're used to sitting in a flat bottomed John boat that putts along at maybe 3 knots (a little better than a snail's pace and it gets you there in 5 minutes (or so)...fast enough for us. spike

Posted by: RockGoddess (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 27, 2006 08:06AM

Hey all...first post here, but I have been visiting St Maarten for 13 years now. Due to "life" circumstances, my yearly (and sometimes twice yearly) visits haven't occured since 2002. I noticed on that last trip that the big modern grocery store that was at the circle (near Burger King?) was closed.

Where is there to shop now? I read something about Grand Marche in another post, but am unsure as to where that is?

Also, what is the latest/best place to rent a car from? And what are the current going rates?

Any and all help is appreciated!

I'll be returning "home" the end of October (watch out Halloween! LOL), and stay at The Towers.

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2006 02:13PM

The grocery store that you referred to as closed is now Le Grand Marche and it is a very nice, modern store. We rent from Kenny's Car all the time...great guy, great cars and good rate. His email is bruce@sintmaarten.net.

Annie

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 27, 2006 05:27PM

Rock Goddess,

We also rent from Lesley Bruce/Kennys Car Rentals. He's a great guy to do business with but prices depend on model of car, time of trip, etc., and can vary depending on these factors. Best thing to do is e-mail him:

Bruce@sintmaarten.net

Give him your dates and tell him what you're looking for and he'll get back to you. There are many car rental agencies on the island with all kinds of cars and all kinds of numbers, and all levels of service. We've rented from Lesley for the past few years and can only say good things about him.

Respectfully,

pat
:-)

Posted by: sandy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 27, 2006 07:31PM

It isn't the size of Grand Marche but there's grocery store in Maho now that has just about everything you would probably need. It'll be on the right just as you enter the 'new' roundabout heading from the airport into Maho toward the Towers.

Posted by: BrendaB (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 30, 2006 07:47PM

And, - they carry Etna ice cream !!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 01, 2006 10:28PM

So...about the "speed boat" to Pinel...???

Posted by: Susan (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 04:56PM

Hi - we are planning a trip to St. Maartin in June '07. It will be our first time there but in reading through some of the postings the talk of crime on the island has me a little apprehensive about the visit. Can anyone that has been there or lives there give me some information on this?

Thanks - Susan

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |