The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Combined Trip Reports - since the board is so dead!! eye rolling smiley
Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: April 26, 2013 11:19AM

We were just down December 15,2012 for a week, (banked week from April 2012) very sad week because of what took place the day prior in my hometown, Newtown, CT. But we made the best of it, had a great trip, it was the 4 of us and my daughters boyfriend - stayed at our timeshare at The Towers in the unit we actually own, 803, sweet we can actually utilize the third bedroom. Didn't notice the traffic being an issue, kind of stayed in the Mullet Bay area, trip to Friars, kids went hiking at Loterie farm, very uneventful but somewhat relaxing trip, weather very nice, hung out a few nights at SMYC, BBB and Sunset. Great meal at Antiones.

On 3/9/13 we headed down for 2 weeks of sunshine, this was a crazy trip!! Arrived with my son (13), friend and her daughter (20), and my daughter(20) flew in from Boston, had a great 4 nights, eating drinking and sunning! Visited Mullet, Friars, and Orient (Bikini), Friends left and the three of us did something we had never done in all the trips (50+), kayaked and paddle boarded over at LeGalion, had many laughs - the waves were crazy all over the island this week,even on LeGalion!!!! Thursday of that week, husband and another couple arrived, then daughter left on Friday. we mostly walked over to Mullet and spent another day at Bikini. Then they left on Tuesday, and just the three of us until 3/22. Did a lot of nothing! More sun and sand. Restaurants in no particular order: LeBatau (Porto Cupecoy - prob butchered the spelling), ate there 2 times very good. Bahjatzu, Ocean Club rib night, sunset, BBB(met up with Barbara and Dee, Sheila and Bill and Elaine), Skipjacks, Tahoma for lunch one day, Fashion Cafe (fun night with Sheila and Susan!). This was the first time we had our groceries delivered by Jeanne of Shop and Drop, love the service!! Car was rented through Lesley Bruce, Kenny's Car Rental, always great service as well. Can't think of anything else. Heading back down in June for our anniversary (just Ken and I) will report back then!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Combined Trip Reports - since the board is so dead!! eye rolling smiley
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2013 02:03PM

Thanks Kim
nice to see a trip report here.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: April 26, 2013 10:53PM

Yeah, don't quite have my moms flare of writing though!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out. But at least it is A little more than "I came, I saw, I conquered!!"

Posted by: SXMNorm (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 10:56PM

Thanks for the report. Always fun to read SXM experiences, especially when you have a long time till your next trip.

Posted by: pat (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 11:12AM

SXMNorm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the report. Always fun to read SXM
> experiences, especially when you have a long time
> till your next trip.

Awe, c'mon, Norm - every time I open a web-site you're back on St. Maarten - and then you try to tell us you're working.....even JD and Wendell aren't here that often.........!! At least, I don't think they are!

Kidding with you - but you know that, I'm sure.smiling smileysmiling smiley

pat

Posted by: double-D (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: April 30, 2013 05:14PM

Thanks Kim....Antoine's....love that place....what did you have??

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 05, 2013 12:25PM

Well, I don't know if this will liven the site up or not, probably not, but we just returned Friday from two and a half wonderful weeks on St. Maarten. Carnival time is always an interesting time to be in St. Maarten and this year the added excitement of the 'swing bridge span' and it's arrival only heightened the excitement. We had strong breezes and nice temps and rain off and on for one day out of 17 but even on that day, we were still able to get in some enjoyable pool time, if not as much beach time as we might otherwise have liked.

We flew Jet Blue round trip this trip - good flights and early arrivals on both ends - no complaints at all with the flights, the planes or anything else with regard to travel. We were through the airport and in the parking lot in no time flat, even being a half hour early and Lesley Bruce of Kennys Car Rentals was already there waiting for us. Can't beat that for service, can you!! We were actually in our rental car and on the road to P'berg at the exact moment we were due to have arrived. It was a great beginning to a really good trip.

We stayed in the new section of Pasanggrahan Hotel on Front St., Philipsberg, for the first three nights - had a lovely upper room with a great view of the Front St. Boardwalk area along with the cruise ships. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. While in town we ate at Pasanggrahan's Restaurant, Chesterfields, and of course, at Antoines along with lunch along the Boardwalk one day and we got to visit with our long-time friends and aquaintances in town, too so it was all good....

For those who would condemn Philipsberg, I would disagree heartily. We exercised a reasonable amount of good sense in choosing to drive to some of our destinations while there - not because we felt unsafe walking (though we did question the judgement in walking the Boardwalk back from late dinners and chose not to do it) - but because it was just easier to drive at night and some of our plans included walks that were just a lot longer than we chose to take. And for those who wonder about it, we were able to park in front of Pasanggrahan in their area out front the entire time we were there, but they do have their own gated underground parking for their guests only.

On the 20th we relocated to our timeshare at The Towers and had a wonderful two weeks there as well. Beautiful room high up so we were able to take full advantage of the views and the breezes the entire two weeks, and we didn't have to change rooms midstay which is always a plus so that just added to our enjoyment. It really doesn't get much better than that.

We ate, in no particular order, at the St. Maarten Yacht Club, Skipjacks, Rosie's, Friars Bay Beach Club, Toppers, Dreams Beach, La Rosa Too, Moulin Fou, Antoine's for the second time, as well as at the home of a friend along the way, and possibly a few places I've already forgotten about, too. Food was all good and the time shared with friends was delightful, particularly our evenings on Tamarind Hill, at Skipjacks and at LaRosa Too. And thanks to Jeannie, the grocery lady of Shop n Drop, we were well-stocked in our room provisions including delicious breakfast pastries for much of our stay. (for those who haven't tried it, most of them freeze beautifully and when reheated in the oven for about 5 minutes, they're just as good as freshly baked.

The day we were leaving, we checked in early at the airport because we didn't want to chance any potential traffic tie-ups due to the arrival of the bridge span. We were actually hoping to be able to snap a photo of it as we departed SXM and the plane made the big climb over the mountain, but wouldn't you know it, this was one of two times in 40 years worth of trips that we took off over the water!! We didn't get to see the barge through the drawbridge, but as we were taxiing down the runway, we did see it all lined up in place at the causeway where it will ultimately see the swing span off-loaded and installed.

All in all, we had a wonderful time and now we're home again, and back to the real world with chores and responsibilities to be met and handled, but trust me on this, I'm already counting down the days until the next trip.

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2013 05:09PM

welcome home Pat.. the island misses you.. Thanks for the trip report... sounds like you had a great time..glad you could squeeze us in your busy schedule. smiling smiley
always fun to see you and John.. ask John about the joke he told Dee when we weren't listening spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 05, 2013 06:10PM

Barbara1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> welcome home Pat.. the island misses you.. Thanks
> for the trip report... sounds like you had a great
> time..glad you could squeeze us in your busy
> schedule. smiling smiley
> always fun to see you and John.. ask John about
> the joke he told Dee when we weren't listening

> spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

B,

J told me about telling Dee the joke but he still won't tell it to me....that about says it all, doesn't it?!!

It was a lovely trip and made even better by sharing memories and time with friends old and new. Thank you for squeezing US into YOUR busy schedule...and until Nov/Dec., enjoy your company, your travels and the rest of your summer, and hopefully we'll see you then.

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |