The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Trip Report - March25-April4, 2013(short for me).
Posted by: SXMNorm (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 09, 2013 06:17PM

Short(for me) Trip Report – March 25- April4, 2013

Got a chance to Inn Sit again for the Turquoise Shell Inn. I don't rent a car when Inn Sitting, so I pretty well stay in walking distance of Turquoise Shell for my meals and entertainment.
Air – American . STL to MIA to SXM No problem going down. Coming back, had what was to be a very close connection for the Miami/St Louis flight. Choose the wrong(really slow) Customs line(three lines). Luckily a fourth agent showed up after about a forty five minute wait. Made it to gate as they were boarding group 2. I was in group 4. I had preplanned on it being close and had carried a Ham and Cheese Croissant that I had bought from Taste Factory the night before. Of course, all the worry and power walking was for naught. Everyone was seated and ready when the Captain comes on and
announces that there is a little switch problem that they need to fix. That fixed, another one went bad. Had an extra forty five minutes waiting to take off.

Bed- Turquoise Shell Inn.

Meals –
The Bagel House(3)
– French Toast(2), once with Bill and Elaine, because Bill loves the French Toast too. A regular breakfast of eggs, potatoes, toast($6.00) with a glass of fresh squeezed Orange Juice($4.00). I forgot how good fresh squeezed OJ really is.Sooo good!
St Maarten Yacht Club(SMYC)(4) - Another favorite within walking distance. Once for breakfast with eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast and coffee, $11.00
Their cheeseburger, [www.flickr.com] with a beer. $14.00. Also got one of the new SMYC Bar and Restaurant T shirts.
Brought one of their Caesar Salads ($8.) back to room. Large enough for two meals.
Also enjoyed one of their “bar bites” - [www.flickr.com] $7.00.
Hilma's Winsor Castle(2) – Because it's ten steps from the entrance to TSI, I went here twice for a Ham and Cheese Johnny Cake.($3.) [www.flickr.com] which I brought back to my room and enjoyed with a Pepsi.
The Pizza Company(1) – [www.flickr.com]
A new place for me. Located in the same building as the Subway Shop, across from Tequilla's.
JoJo is the chef. [www.flickr.com] Shapes the crust by hand. Very thin crust. This is their small bacon pizza.($10.) [www.flickr.com] Besides the mozzarella cheese, there's also a slice of parmesan on the pizza. [www.flickr.com] For that little extra “bite” .
Buccaneer Beach Bar(1) – Stopped by for a bowl of Ribs and beer before the music at La Bamba.
Pollo2Go(1) – New little three stool and a table place located below Tequilla's. [www.flickr.com] I got two chicken tacos(2 for $7. or $4.each) [www.flickr.com]
Here's their menu. [www.flickr.com]
Pretty good. Used one for a second lunch the next day. Just cut up the shell and made it a chicken taco salad.
YOLO(1) – Went here with friends, who were driving, for Happy Hour. Nice place. It was in the middle of a downpour so couldn't see very much of the sunset, but it probably would have been very nice. Here's their appetizer menu [www.flickr.com] And their main menu.
[www.flickr.com]
Taco Macho(1) – Ran between raindrops over here from Yolo's for dinner. Haven't been here since they were a couple trailers next to the SOL gas station of Airport Rd. Here's their menu.
[www.flickr.com] Good meal. Comp shots.
[www.flickr.com]
The Palm's(5) - Again because it was only steps away from the TSI, AND because Greg and his family are such good, fun people, The Palm's got a lot of my business.
Had their Pao with a couple beers $12. [www.flickr.com] after a day in the air.
Their meat pie. [www.flickr.com] A special one night.$17. [www.flickr.com]
Greg's Lasagna. One of my favorite meals on SXM.
Turkey, an Easter special. [www.flickr.com]
The garlic mashed potatos were too strong though for the wonderful turkey gravy.
Pholouire - [www.flickr.com] which is Split Pea flour with spices, deep fried, and served with a home-made Tamanrid sauce.
Here's their appetizer menu. [www.flickr.com]
Putting the REAL sour in Amaretto Sour. [www.flickr.com]
WARNING – I sent a couple TSI guests to The Palm's for a drink. This is their second Palm's Special Punch. [www.flickr.com]

Other Things and Thoughts -
Island is very dry.

One of favorite places to be is La Bamba on Sunday evening when Categoy 5 band plays. [www.flickr.com] This number included a harmonica player from Chicago. The Band now starts at 7pm instead of 8pm.

Bought one of the new SXM Pride t shirts. They're available at ShipWreck Shops in various colors and supports a good cause. [www.flickr.com]
$21.00

Got to see a helicopter land on it's yacht. [www.flickr.com]
[www.flickr.com]

Because Easter Monday fell during my stay, there was a lot of beach activities. Someone rented this toy for a small birthday party.
[www.flickr.com]
[www.flickr.com]
[www.flickr.com] After dropping off his passenger, the operator did some pretty amazing stunts, including dives and flips.
[www.flickr.com]

For my cat loving friends – here's one of the TSI “Guard Cats” refreshing theirselves from the rain barrel.
[www.flickr.com]
[www.flickr.com]

A lot of boats in Simpson Bay during this trip.
[www.flickr.com]

BEST moment of trip was getting to have a short visit with Deepti.
[www.flickr.com]

The Causeway is getting done. November is the talked about opening.
[www.flickr.com]

Just another picture of that SXM blue water and a few boats. [www.flickr.com]

One of the sailing yachts coming into the Lagoon.
[www.flickr.com]

Always enjoy taking pics as we take off.
[www.flickr.com]
[www.flickr.com]
[www.flickr.com]
[www.flickr.com]
Last look - [www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2013 08:08PM by SXMNorm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trip Report - March25-April4, 2013(short for me).
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2013 06:26PM

Ok, I just can't read your trip reports any more, Norm. MY mouth is watering.
I want to go everywhere you did and eat everything you did.
and the pictures..I'm drooling LOL
and how do you stay so thin? smiling smiley
Thanks , as always, for posting here.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Re: Trip Report - March25-April4, 2013(short for me).
Posted by: JuliusLTU (---.itsa.net.pl)
Date: June 19, 2013 06:35PM

Thanks for the report smiling smiley

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |