The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Car Rental vs. Hiring a Car
Posted by: Island Cindy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2013 06:12PM

Sorry to add another message about car rental, but I have a different sort of question. DH and I will be there in May. We have been going to SXM for over 15 years and always rent a car. We'll be staying at Club O, and most likely will only need transportation from and to the airport (arriving at SXM but departing from Grand Case), and out to dinner 5 or 6 nights. Would it be economically feasible to have a driver to just take us out as needed (airport transfers and dinner)? If so, any recommendations? We're looking into this because the car rental company that we have used for our last four visits have provided us with vehicles that are not mechanically sound (2 visits, 3 different vehicles), and one time we waited at the airport for over an hour for our pick up. Needless to say, we have not been impressed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car Rental vs. Hiring a Car
Posted by: jimnjudy (---.telnetcommunications.com)
Date: January 13, 2013 09:52AM

It sounds as though you have had the wrong rental agency. We have dealt with Michael Unity of Unity car rental and he has been on time picking us up and the cars are worry free. Unity rental is not the cheapest but they are reliable and dependable. We also rented a car from Maryse Gachot when we rented a unit from her at Blue Beach near Captain Olivers...Oyster Bay.. and it was an almost new car and was only $20 a day. We found having our own car meant we could come and go as we pleased and not have to sit around and wait and watch for a taxi. The disadvantage of driving yourself is if you go out at night and have too many drinks as well as navigating dark unfamiliar roads to get back home. For us that was the only disadvantage and the advantages far out weighed the disadvantages. On our recent trip we were able to pick up my brother and his wife off a cruise ship and spend the day showing them around "our" island and they were thrilled. We stopped when we wanted to, we went where we wanted to when we wanted to and as the Ozzies say" no worry".If you need info about Unity or Maryse send me a private message.

Posted by: contessa (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2013 08:43AM

I agree that you had the wrong rental company....although one I had for many years turned into a nightmare and I stopped using them. That being said, for every dud there are 20 good ones. I've used Lesley Bruce of Kenny's and he's a peach....also Winston Blythe who doesn't have a website but is as honest as the day is long (can sent email addy if wanted). But, the choice realy is yours. We rent a car because we like to explore and drive everywhere....plus, my husband doesn't drink so we're designated drivers for many. If you plan on drinking heavily then I'd say forego the rental and take a car. You can hire someone and use them for the entire trip and perhaps negotiate for a price.
Hopefully, that helps!
smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: Suzanne (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 30, 2013 03:39PM

How can we get a hold of Winston Blythe? We used him before, but can't find an email. Thanks

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |