The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Trip Report - November 4-18, 2012 - Part 1
Posted by: SXMNorm (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 05, 2012 09:29PM

November4-18, 2012 Trip Report

Flight: St Louis to Miami to SXM on AA . Slightly early on both legs going down. Return flight was a disaster. Upon checking in at SXM we were told that our plane to Miami would leave 55 minutes late. Since we only had an hour and thirty five minutes to make our original connection, that connection was null and void before we started. SXM rebooked us on the later flight to St Louis, of course we had to enjoy Miami airport for 6+ hours. The late flight also left late so we got to waste close to 15 hours in airports or planes. We did get a comp meal in Miami which killed a little time.
The sad thing is that AA 's 9:55am flight was late in arriving to SXM on at least two other nights. That means it has to be on ground in SXM for 12 hours before it can take off. An AA pilot told me this because of work rules. You would think “the brains” at AA could figure out someway to let the AA afternoon flight crew take the early flight out on time the next day and the late night flight crew take the afternoon flight out. Oh well, Southwest and Air Trans are starting to fly to San Juan from Orlando in April. It won't be long now before they fly SXM
I bought this ticket April 30 for $646.25/pp/rt. At the time it seemed like a good price compared to what tickets had been running.

Car Rental: Horizon Car Rental (www.horizoncarrental.com) In May I was impressed by the service Angela(part owner)gives. Prices were competitive. $150./week for a Hyundai L10. Picked up at airport, picked up at Turquoise Shell for return to airport, on time. We're booked with her for January too.

Phone: Who else, Sharon (www.queenofsxm.com).

Rooms: Our first week was through an II trade. Oyster Bay Beach Resort, [i216.photobucket.com] and as most of you know, we own there also. Had a nice 1 bedroom unit in the new building on the first floor(these old knees really appreciated that). Wonderful ocean view. Really clear when we arrived. Put our stuff away, grabbed a drink, and sat down on our porch with a view of St Barts. [i216.photobucket.com] %202012/IMGP0827.jpg
The pool has been resurfaced and lighting redone.
[i216.photobucket.com]
Around the edge of pool is LED lighting that changes color.
[i216.photobucket.com]
[i216.photobucket.com]

Week 2 we stayed at Turquoise Shell Inn. Again I got to “Inn Sit” while Carter was off Island.

Groceries: We were flying on Sunday on this trip and since we arrived after the 2pm Sunday closing at Grande Marche, we made a quick stop at Fresh Market. While Betty watched the car, I ran in a grabbed the few basics like milk, soda, juice, cookies, and cheesy snacks.
Later in the week, I made a trip to Grand Marche. While at Turquoise Shell I stopped by the old Seven Alive store for a few “finish off the trip” items. Image my surprise to see my friend Sallie from Happy Island Restaurant behind the counter. She was helping out.

Breakfast:
Many breakfasts were in our room with crossiants and goodies from the Taste Factory. They have a special - 8 pastries for $6.00 after 5pm. We made use of that twice.
Le Madine France – A wonderful little place that has had many names over the years. Open for breakfast and lunch, it's located directly across from the entrance to the Captain Olivers complex. It's run by Delphine and Fred [i216.photobucket.com]
Free WiFi is available. On my first visit I had their ham and cheese omelet [i216.photobucket.com]
The second visit Betty and I had their pancake.
Here's their breakfast menu [i216.photobucket.com]
Their lunch menu is on a chaukboard
[i216.photobucket.com]
Delphine is working on an English version on the reverse side. Delphine reminded me somewhat of Disney's Snow White. Not by looks, but the way she lightly moved around the patio and store cleaning and prepping and singing, somewhat softly, as she worked.
The Bagel House - No SXM visit would be complete without some French Toast at The Bagel House. [i216.photobucket.com]
Betty enjoyed a more traditional breakfast. [i216.photobucket.com]
Always pleasant sitting on the covered porch enjoying the SXM morn. Patty (Sungoddess) was finishing her coffee as we arrived.

Lunches

Beau Beau's (2)@ Oyster Bay Beach Resort - They are now owned and managed by the Resort. Here's their new menu - [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com] We thought their Chicken Caesar Salad was outstanding. This is half serving. [i216.photobucket.com] The salad is It's hard to beat a lunch there with such a great view of Dawn Beach. [i216.photobucket.com] [i216.photobucket.com]
We also enjoyed their 1/2# Angus Burger with Cheese and fries. Service Charge and tax are added to each bill at both OBBR restaurants.
Infinity - Pool, bar, and courtyard food service is handled by the Infinity Restaurant, so we were pleased and expected our Chicken Caesar Salad poolside to taste the same as the one we enjoyed at Beau Beau's. It did.
LaCrosianterie – Located in the Marigot Marina with a enjoyable view of the marina [i216.photobucket.com] , we stopped here after a little Market Shopping. Their blackboard menu - [i216.photobucket.com] Being “creatures of habit” we had our favorite, Passianne Salad, which comes with potatoes, bacon, egg, onion, lettuce, croutons tomatoes - [i216.photobucket.com] . We also enjoyed a Ham and Cheese Croissant. [i216.photobucket.com] with two teas, bill was $26.00. No service charge. 1E = $1.
St Maarten Yacht Club(SMYC) (4) – Being that I was “Inn sitting” our second week and SMYC is close, we stopped here four times during our stay. Owner/Operator, Brian tends the bar and has a good memory of what you're drinking. It's a great place to sit and watch Lagoon happenings. [i216.photobucket.com]
We tried their Chicken Caesar Salad, [i216.photobucket.com] which we thought was also very good. Along with Cheese Sticks,
[i216.photobucket.com] , a Mango Colada, and a Coke, made for a nice lunch. $26. w/no service charge.
We also enjoyed their Chicken Caesar Wrap. With 2 teas - $15.00 no sc.
Their Commodore Club comes with fries and splits up nicely for lunch [i216.photobucket.com] with two teas which is made daily and not canned, - $15.00. No sc.
The last visit this trip we had their Cheese Burger, which also comes with fries. A soda and tea $15.00, no sc.
Buccaneer Beach Bar - Again another favorite – a BBC [i216.photobucket.com] and a Cheeseburger [i216.photobucket.com] . With the BBC and two sodas - $20.00 No sc. No credit cards.
12 Meter Bar – Located in Bobbie's Marina, next to the,... surprise!..., the 12 Meter Yacht Race office. It's owned and operated by the former Dinghy Dock guys, Matt and Flo.
Their rib plate [i216.photobucket.com] . We chose the ½ onion rings, ½ fries to go with them. With 2 sodas, $17.00, no service charge. Pretty much like you remember from DD and definitely worth the stop.
Caribbean Blend - Rarely do we go to Phillipsburg that we don't stop at Caribbean Blend for at least one of Suzette's Mango Coladas. This time we found both brothers/owners Patrick and Romaine grilling. [i216.photobucket.com] We had their rib plate this trip. [i216.photobucket.com] With two Mango Coladas - $26.. No service charge.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trip Report - November 4-18, 2012 - Part 1
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2012 12:15PM

Thanks for the trip report Norm. As always you have done things and seen things on the island that I never have. :-)
It was good to see you and Betty

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |