The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Want to move to St.Maarten/St.Martin from Curacao help!
Posted by: Panamahat (---.rev.onenet.an)
Date: March 18, 2012 11:15AM

Hi All
We currently reside in Curacao but want to move to St.Maarten/St.Martin'. We have a residency permit here in Curacao. We were wondering what the residency situation is in either St.Maarten/St.Martin. We are Canadian.

It was quite a hassle and expensive to get residency in Curacao we really would like the avoid that process again!

I have read on the net that you get a 3 month tourist permit on arrival and you only have to leave the island for one day to get another one. (would Anguilla count ha ha)

Sounds simple but experience from living in Curacao 4 years has taught me the devil are in the details. I would really appreciate the straight goods from someone who knows. You can send me a private email if you prefer.

That said I would also love to hear the in and out of the residency process for a retirees on either the French or Dutch side and which one is easier to get. What are the income requirements?

Also how much is a carton of smokes on the island and how is the cost of living compared to the states. lastly anyone know what the boat slippage fees are on the island. I was contemplating doing the live aboard a boat thing.

Lot of questions but I will be eternally grateful for the scoop from any expats like myself.

I have visited St. martin since the late 1980's always loved the place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Want to move to St.Maarten/St.Martin from Curacao help!
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2012 05:18PM

relocating to SXM and getting a residency is a long complicated expensive process., probably similar to what you experienced on Curacao.
Probably Elaine can tell you more abotu the process for retirees. I know it wasn't easy for her.
send her a PM if she doesn'tsee this thread.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: March 26, 2012 11:59AM

Thanks
I was hoping to avoid that process by staying on a 3 month tourist visa, and then reentering. I was wondering how loose their policies are in that regard. Can you do it once or year round?

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2012 03:26PM

I don;t know about Canadians but they recently put into place a policy that states Americans can only stay 3 months.
I don't know how strictly that is enforced though.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 03:27PM by Barbara1.

Posted by: DavidK (12.111.54.---)
Date: March 27, 2012 01:55PM

How is Curacao? Why is it that you want to move out of that beautiful island? Especially after going through all that hard work to get in there. I ask because I am thinking of an investment property down there to rent out for now, then in a few years trying for my residency. I'm from the USA

Date: March 27, 2012 05:21PM

As far as investing in a income property, the Central Bank has recently decided that all banks suspend any kind of credit, or make loans for a minimum of the next 6 months, including mortgages.

There is a problem with a rapid depletion of foreign reserves, which may mean a devaluation of the guilder, which is presently fixed to the us dollar.

A very unsettling development in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 07:26PM by Panamahat.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |