- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Guy to Forum
Posted by: Grover (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2011 11:20AM

Yikes...logging in was brutal..."safe" looking place for info. Anyway, I realize, like most forums that I can go back thru 97 plus pages of "archives" to get the information I need, however, I'd like to ask, now, to save some time if you don't mind. I'm looking for an economical, friendly and trustworthy rental car company... any locals you's recommend? I've heard they are the best but, unfortunately I have never pursued that option? I've dealt with the standard Avis, Hertz, Thrifty (ad nauseum) and have had tough, unfriendly and discourteous experiences for the most part. Can you help me? I'm 100% certain this question has been answered thousands of times. One more time please !!! Yes, I've been to SXM over and over again...it's time for a change !!! WE "timeshare" at The Towers at Mullet Bay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Guy to Forum
Posted by: tom2 (65.55.67.---)
Date: September 15, 2011 11:44AM

no one is better than alain arnell at triple a car rental. ask him for the special rate..but to be fair, there are many locals that are good also. i would stay away from the hertz,avis,thrifty national sites. you will not be sorry with AAA

Posted by: double-D (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: September 15, 2011 12:55PM

Welcome.....You will find all your answers here!!!.....I take taxis....so have no idea on car rentals!!

Posted by: Elaine (---.caribserve.net)
Date: September 15, 2011 01:04PM

We second Alain at AAA!

Posted by: WWII (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2011 03:15PM

I think there are many good ones, we have used Tropicana for the last several years.

[www.tropical-tropicana.com]

Posted by: alex (65.55.67.---)
Date: September 15, 2011 05:23PM

I USE TRIPLE A FOR MANY MANY YEARS ..A GOOD PRICE EVEN THOUGH I RENT A JEEP. 350.00 FOR TWO WEEKS. EXCELLENT SERVICE,ALWAYS THERE WAY BEFORE YOUR FLIGHT ARRIVES AND OFFICE IS ONLY ABOUT 2 MILES FROM AIRPORT. MYRA AND ALAIN ARE GREAT.

Posted by: Jaybird (---.mycingular.net)
Date: September 16, 2011 08:45AM

We always use Michael at Unitycarrental@

Posted by: Jaybird (---.mycingular.net)
Date: September 16, 2011 08:48AM

Sorry I hit send to quick. Unitycarrental@yahoo.com

Posted by: dr doug (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2011 07:31PM

Most renters have their favorite and as you are seeing they are local folks running their own businesses. The agencies paired up with a franchise just don't seem to be on the same page. I used Thrifty for 2 years before I wised up.

I'll give a thumbs up to Leslie Bruce at Kenny's. He meets you at the airport with your car and off you go, no ride to an office. He'll even bring you a phone from Sharon, the best phone rental on the island. Once I tried him, I've never left and that covers over 10 years.

Kenny's

Sharon

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 17, 2011 11:57AM

Welcome to Go Beach, Grover.

We, too, are Towers owners and have been since pre-construction. Of course it would be nice if we could go back to those earlier days but given the history of time-sharing on St. Maarten, we are still pleased with The Towers and offer no regrets about being there.

Regarding your question regarding great LOCAL car rental agencies I would agree most heartily with Dr. Doug. We've been using Lesley Bruce of Kennys Car Rentals for more years than I can remember at this point, usually twice a year, and he's never disappointed us. His service is exactly as described above and he'll deliver your cell phone from Sharon Harris if you're using her service and you've so requested.

Have a great trip.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: Grover (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 17, 2011 02:16PM

WOW, I think I'll hang out on this forum for awile....gobeach? should be "go SXMers"...thanks so much for everyone's time.

Alaine Arnell @ AAA (3 votes), Tropicana (1), Michael @ Unity (2), and Leslie Bruce @ Kenny's.

I really like the Leslie Bruce concept of pick up and drop off in the parking lot. I'm (we...my "social chairman" and I) are sick and tired of waiting for a van which typically has no A/C followed by the excruciating line at the check in counter a la Thrifty, Avis.....etc. Excruciating because my "beach gravity" is pulling me down and the "Mah-doo-doo" beckons my taste buds.

I see Unity has a website....I'll google to check the others.

Can't thank you enough for the input...I like this place !!!!! Oh, I/we are 11 year "vets" on SXM and may help others with other needs/questions. Cheers, Grover.

Date: September 17, 2011 06:03PM

Grover,

One last thing regarding Lesley Bruce/Kennys. If I'm not mistaken, the toll free number on his website may be out of service. We generally email him at:

bruce@sintmaarten.net

and he's always very good about getting back to us.

I hear you about waiting for a van pick-up at the airport and then waiting again for the paperwork. Lesley is generally there waiting or will be within minutes if he's taking care of another patron in the lot, but he puts you in your car and on your way in no time flat and likewise on the return - You give him a time and he's there and you're on your way again.

Don't know when you're planning on going but if it's soon, let us know on your return how things are at the Towers. Are you a member of the Towers board?

www.towerstimeshare.com

Questions that are Towers specific always asked and answered there, too, when possible.

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: alex (65.55.67.---)
Date: September 17, 2011 07:50PM

pat
i know you have been to sxm many years and have a great idea of everyhing. i have only been there 21 years now and usually explore everything and take considerations into other peoples output. lesley is a good company. dont get me wrong. but just for the hell of it i e mailed him about a vehicle that i have already reserved through aaa and he was 110.. a week more. you needd to look around and not just think that everything will be the same and a great deal received. the only price i dont barter with is club o.. because they dont barter. my point is today you need to look around at everything unless you are set on staying at one particular place.
rspectufully
alex

Date: September 17, 2011 10:56PM

Alex,

I rented from AAA once. Thery're a good company for those that choose to use them - no argument there, and they certainly have a following of clientel that are very happy with the services they offer.

But unfortunately, the only time we used them they did NOT provide me with the service I had requested and which they repeatedly assured me, via emails which I had saved, they would provide.

It is not my intention to demean any rental agency - they're all out to make a living just as we are here at home in our businesses, and I won't go any further with this discussion. If you're able to save $110. a week over Lesley's best price then your only choice is to go for it.

I've never maintained Lesley was the cheapest company out there, but merely, IMO, THE BEST!! He's never mislead me; he's always provided exactly the service we've contracted for; he's always been on time; and the few times we've had problems such as our car being tampered with while parked at a beach, he's been right there to resolve them and take care of us. And beyond that, he's gone the extra mile a few times to make things work for us when problems have arisen.

In my mind, that's the service I want and I'm willing to pay for it. And I'm not saying Mr. Arnell doesn't provide this same service for his customers, but sadly he didn't for me. And I would prefer not to have to go to another location to get my car but that's a personal preference.

After almost 40 years of trips to the island, one thing I've learned is that we are all generally happy with our choices until something goes wrong and until something does in our relationship with Mr. Bruce I will continue to support him and his service both verbally and through the simple matter of recommending him as a reliable and responsible company to do business with, and I'm sure for all the same reasons you will do the same for your agency of choice.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2011 11:06PM by pat.

Posted by: double-D (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: September 18, 2011 09:53AM

Boy o Boy Pat....you are a very good writer.....is a book in the future???
It sure would be a fun read!!
Dan

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |