The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Best and worst areas in St. Martin
Posted by: johnnyforeigner (---.range81-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 15, 2011 05:02PM

Hi,
what are the best and worst areas in St.Martin?
So far I have heard Oyster Pond is the worst, and Marigot is the best.
The prices of apartment rentals appear to reflect this.
In terms of crime rate, and how safe an area is to live in.
Many thanks for your replies.
Regards, johnnyforeigner

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best and worst areas in St. Martin
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: August 15, 2011 06:37PM

LOL... Oyster Pond is the worst??? where did you were inform of that? I live in Oyster Pond and I can tell you Marigot is the worst to compare... Including about rental rate. Oyster Pond is small residential and exclusive community, with private villa and small commerce, build close to the Dutch/French Border with a Marina Resort. Marigot is a ghost town passed 6pm, and I would say it is a ghost town even at noon with the exception when the French people go to buy their baguette for lunch.. If you want to talk about worst area, then we can talk about Sandy Ground and Agrement (both in Marigot). Best Area : The French Low lands, Orient Bay residencial Park and Oyster Pond.. I wouldn't live in Marigot even if you would pay me over ten of thousands $ a month to do so!!!!!!!

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: biturbo (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2011 04:26PM

When you say "best and worst", am I correct if I assume you were referring mostly to crime? Here's my 2 cents (or Euros). Not too many places on earth can be guaranteed crime-free, not my backyard, not SXM. When on the island, we have stayed at Club O several times, and I have felt safer there than anywhere else we have stayed. Security is constantly, actively patrolling. For worst, I would have to agree with Sandy Ground. Especially near the Chinese restaurant, when the youths deliberately ride their bikes in front of your car, causing you to either stop or hit them.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: August 18, 2011 05:46PM

I think his "best or worse" included everything regarding "Living and residing"... unfortunately I don't think it is feasible to reside year round at Club O.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Neil Rooney (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2011 05:16AM

Best...on D Beach................Worst....stuck in traffic!

Just Another Ho Hum Day On D Planet

Posted by: Rastaman (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2011 09:05PM

As the regulars know, I do not often post, but I monitor this board frequently. This is one post I must respond to. On the French side, the best areas are Oyster Pond, Orient Bay, and the Lowlands. The worst, (in no particular order) are Concordia, Sandy ground, Cul-de Sac, and Marigot proper. There is no safe place, just as there is no safe place anywhere. As you have no job, nor any real prospects, I suggest you move on to another island.

Posted by: Alexander (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: August 30, 2011 11:57AM

Yesterday we just came back from our first trip to saint martin,
we´ve stayed for 3 weeks in beautiful villa near the hilltop on the french side.

I almost can´t describe it in words - i know that it´s low-season - but it was so calm & quiet, the only loud thing are dogs, when they start their concert all around oyter pond :-)
I could almost count how many cars passed through per day, but in my feeling it where 2 or 3 per hour, and 1 loud quad/bike per day max.
The loudest traffic came from the quad tours...i guess 5 minutes per day.

We had a car and went to every beach & every quartier....orinent bay, esp. beach club is perfect for a "safe" and perfect day at the beach.

I´m already checking on flights for our next visit....in Captain Oliver´s Restaurant we had the bis fish platter (captain oliver´s platter ?), and it was one of the superbest dinners we had!!! Thanks to the chef over there.

By the way, on pinel island we had our most chillaxed beach day...

We had no bad experiences at all, haven´t seen crime or heard of, i guess that it also depense on your personal sense of crime.
Here in cologne, my home town in germany the break ins are rising every year, by now it´s 20 per day during the week, and ~60 per weekend, that´s a lot, but i don´t bother at all.

Take good care everyone, till soon, yours Alexander

P.S.: It was strange - I don´t have the heart to say it was funny - to see, that electricity went down on the dutch side sometimes during the evening, and the french side was stable. (I know that everything is seperated between the two countries.)

Posted by: Desert dweller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 12:46AM

I was planning to stay in Pointe Blanche when I visit in November. I answered an ad that advertises a Large Studio for $300/week. The guy I called is named O'neal. Does anyone know this place or does anyone have anything good or bad to say about this area?

Posted by: rice (209.180.147.---)
Date: February 22, 2013 05:00PM

WHAT ABOUT THE CUPECOY AREA ??? IS IT SAFE ? ARE THERE STORES, PLACES TO EAT..BEACHES...

IS IT A GOOD PLACE/AREA TO STAY ? ??

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2013 06:31PM

yes,the cupecoy area is very nice.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Sen (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 07, 2013 08:47PM

Best is Grand Case and Orient. Worst is philipsburg

Posted by: key real estate (---.164.72.182.airtel.in)
Date: April 01, 2013 06:17AM

Simpson Bay and Maho area is where you will find the most hotels, restaurants and night life. it is a busier area and many things are within walking distance.
There are a few really nice beaches close by. Mullet Bay beach is one of my favourite ones.

Posted by: double-D (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: April 02, 2013 08:59AM

In 16 years we have never had a problem in Philipsburg....Just sayin!

Posted by: bob rob (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 03:10PM

could be your standards are lower than most

Posted by: pat (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: April 26, 2013 05:39PM

Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> could be your standards are lower than most

anon user Bob rob....

I generally don't respond to snarky comments such as yours but having just stayed three nights in Philipsberg I can only say there are some very nice places there and I'm really glad we did.

Respectfully,

pat

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |