Trip Report – May 19 to June 6, 2011
This was our 18th trip to SXM since 1998. Every time has been more enjoyable than the last. #19 is scheduled for the end of January.
Booked FF tickets in early January on AA
. St Louis to SXM with a stop in Miami. No problems either way. Slightly ahead of schedule on all segments.
Originally confirmed with Lucky Rental
, who we had used at least three times in the past. This trip they were a no show. After several trips around and through the lobby of the airport, the man at the Paradise
] ) booth asked if I wanted a car. He matched my price, $399.60 w/ tax and we were finally off in the shuttle to their office on Airport Road, next to Taco Macho. The 45 minutes it took was an indication of how terribly slow traffic would move from the airport to Cole Bay Hill roundabout for the entire trip and at almost all hours. Got a light blue Getz, slightly dented with current French plates, which served us well. No problem.
Phone was from Sharon's Queen of SXM
(www.queenofsxm.com) $34.00 for 18 days. Worked fine. Bought $10. of time and still had a couple minutes left. Convenient to pickup and drop off. Got to personally say “hello” and thank her for her “favorite number” phone before she left the Island to go back to States for a visit.
A real stay around SXM this trip.
First three nights at Tijon's
Villa in Grand Case.
I won't tell you about the place because Donna and Pascal from Piazza Pascal's have rented it for the next year. However, I will say that Cyndi and John used to have a very fine Bed and Breakfast in Minnesota and they keep a very first class place in SXM. They do have a small one bedroom bungalow in the back of their property which they rent out. However it is already rented for high season 2012. See their web site for more details.(www.tijon.com)
Here's a couple pics of the bungalow. [i1047.photobucket.com
Here's the back yard -
The next week we moved into a 2 bedroom at the Royal Palm
on Welfare Rd. This was through a trade with Interval International. Love the view from the rooms. They all overlook Simpson Bay.
We wanted a two bedroom unit because our son, Chris and his Jennifer, would be staying with us during the middle part on this trip.
The following week we traded for a 2 bedroom at our home resort, Oyster Pond Beach Resort
. Great room overlooking the pool and St Barths. Same view you get on OBBR Web Cam.
The last couple days we prepared for departure with a couple day stay with old friends, Carter and Marcus, at Turquoise Shell Inn
. Love this little place. Close to airport, walking distance to many eating places, and easy access to Simpson Bay Beach.
– across from the Grand Marche store on Airport Rd. An assortment of Almond and Chocolate Almond Croissants, Cinnamon, Raisin Pastries.
Vesna Taverna and Bagel House (2)
– Airport Rd – The ever efficient and friendly Sally served the Bagel House special French Toast. French bread cut on the diagonal, dipped and fried, and served with a dollop of whipped cream on each piece with syrup on the side. [i1047.photobucket.com
] We were told they surgically remove any fat from this item. An order of French Toast with or without is $6.00. There is no service charge added to bills.
Cafe on the Bay (3)
– In a wonderful, peaceful setting overlooking Simpson Bay Lagoon, [i1047.photobucket.com
the always cheerful Georgian, Marilyn(owner) warmly greets us on every visit. Cafe's French Toast is also another favorite and entirely different from Bagel House. Four slices Caribbean French Toast are covered with fresh cut pineapple, banana, mango chunks, and a sprinkle of coconut. It's $9.25. Wonderful. [i1047.photobucket.com
We also sampled their two scrambled eggs(which must be the size of Dinosaur eggs), [i1047.photobucket.com
] their pancakes, [i1047.photobucket.com
] ,and a orange, lime, and grapefruit smoothie [i1047.photobucket.com
] . Again there is no service charge on their bill. $25. is minimum charge card purchase. They serve breakfast menu till 7-11am.[i1047.photobucket.com
– We still consider this place to be the best bakery on SXM. Apricot, Apple, Guava, Chocolate Croissants, Chocolate Chip Twists. So rich in butter that the bags leave marks on the car seat in the 10 minutes it takes to get back to OBBR.
Aux Pains d'Epices
– Located in Oyster Pond on Rue de l'Escale(same road as Captain Olivers, but closer to ocean). Bacon Quiche was tasty.
They were experiencing power failure the morning I visited. Along with an Orgina and chocolate twist( to take back for Betty) and E to $ conversion - $8.80.
- Located in Oyster Bay Beach Resort
. Paid for my breakfast rather than get the free one and be subjected to a time share talk. 2 eggs with toast is $4.95.
Their French Toast is $7.95.
Side of Bacon is $2.50. Service charge is added to bill.
Sugar Cane Cafe (2)
- One of our favorites. French Dip w/cheese and fries. Add a tea and Ting and it's $17.50. They're really nice about splitting the sandwich and fries onto two plates. No service charge here.
Buccaneer Beach Bar(3)
– The visit to SXM doesn't officially start till we have our BBC at BBB. [i1047.photobucket.com
First meal there has always been a cheeseburger. A simple, but favorite meal of ours. Cheeseburger with two BBC's is $21.00 No service charge. No credit cards. Another time we had their Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad with Cheese Sticks. [i1047.photobucket.com
] With two cokes it's $21.00. A cheeseburger and 2 cokes is only $13.00.
] After a walk around the Marigot Market, we love going here for their salad [i1047.photobucket.com
] and croissant. With a coke and Orgina it's $20.25. They're giving 1E=1$ Always a picturesque view. [i1047.photobucket.com
– We stopped here for a couple reasons. First they have a nice lunch menu. Chris had the pulled pork sandwich. [i1047.photobucket.com
] Jennifer had the grilled chicken avocado salad. [i1047.photobucket.com
Betty the BLT. [i1047.photobucket.com
] And I had the Chicken Quesadillas. [i1047.photobucket.com
Betty and my meals w/cokes were $22.50.
The other reason we stopped at Bonita's
is that co-owner Bryan used to work at Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas city. Chris and Jennifer live in the KC area and have been to Bryan's old place several times.
Beau Beau's (4)
– We have lunch here a lot, when we stay at OBBR
. It's convenient to the beach. We can charge our meals to our room so we don't have to carry cash or credit card on the beach. The food is good and reasonable. The staff is very friendly. Our favorite waitress is Jennifer. Please tell her hello for us if you stop. [i1047.photobucket.com
With the increase in food costs their “lunch special” has increased from $6. to $7.00. For that $7.00, you can have a 1/4# burger, chicken breast or fish sandwich along with ranch fries, slaw, and a coke or Carib.
We also had their Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad with a coke and tea for $16.00. This was a great salad.
We tried their 8” hotdog which came with fries. Add 2 sodas for $12.00.
Service charge is added to all Beau Beau's items.
Sunset beach Bar and Grill
- After an early check in of luggage for Chris and Jennifer, we took them to Sunset Beach Bar and Grill to watch their plane land and get something to eat before the trip home. [i1047.photobucket.com
] Betty and I each had a cheeseburger and soda which totaled $17.00.
part 2 to follow