The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Electricity and Water Bills for 3-4 Bedroom House spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: Jean Paul (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 10:09AM

Hello everyone smileys with beer

Can anyone please tell me the water and electricity cost for a large 3-4 bedroom house?

Me and my wife where planing to retire in St Martin and wanted to purchase a 3-4 bdr house but wondering of the maintenance fees.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thumbs upsmileys with beer

Re: Electricity and Water Bills for 3-4 Bedroom House spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: Danes (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2011 07:30PM

Compared to the US, quite expensive. I have a 3 bedroom house on the Dutch Side, so I can only speak to that.

When vacant with only the fridge, pool pump, and a few outside lights running, my monthly electric bill is never lower than $250. When occupied, it spikes to at least double that. GEBE water, on the other hand, is much more reasonable. However, if you have a house that is not served by city water, cistern delivery is much more expensive at $150-$200 for 2,000 - 2,500 gallons.

While a great place to retire, after adding food costs, etc. is not exactly designed for retirees on fixed incomes...

Re: Electricity and Water Bills for 3-4 Bedroom House spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2011 07:30AM

Utilities are much cheaper on the French side... The electric bill come every to month and the water bill every three month. We have a three bedroom with a pool on the French side where we live full time (but really occupy one bedroom (since no children....) and use one of the bedroom as an office and the other one as a gym), and the electric is on an average of 50 euros a month and the water as well. The pool pump run 8 hours a day, and all lights are on from 6.30pm to midnight on average, (in the house, and in the garden)...
But on the other hand, if I can allow myself to give you an advice, before worrying about the cost of utilities while "retiring" in St Martin, depending on your citizenship make sure you checked the immigration laws and the possibilities to do so, and have all your paper in order...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 07:57AM by Tabba Khady.

Posted by: Kennys (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: February 01, 2011 09:55PM

Only 50 Euros per month for electric ?
Wow !

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2011 06:39AM

yeah... 50 euros!!!... I don't use Airco, though...(or rarely) I live "on the water" and the ocean breeze is good enough!

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 06:41AM by Tabba Khady.

Posted by: Jean Paul (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2011 01:45PM

Thank you all for your replies spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |