The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
12 Metre Challenge
Posted by: Kimbere (---.lightspeed.livnmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 17, 2010 07:31AM

Morning everyone! With only 4 days left till our trip...I'm bursting with excitement!! >grinning smiley< My hubby is doing the regatta challenge next Thursday morning. I'm wondering if anyone knows where this is held, and if it's on a beach, are there places to rent chairs or anything? I'm debating on whether or not to go and watch (take pics), or just hang back at the Little Divi while he's gone. Thanks for the info, as always!! grinning smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 12 Metre Challenge
Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2010 07:45AM

The 12-Metre Challenge takes place offshore, leaving from Bobby's Marina in Philipsburg. They go where the wind is best. You can see the boats leaving and returning from the beach along the boardwalk in Philipsburg, but you really can't see the actual race from there. You might even be able to see from Divi, but I don't know about the view from there, so cant say for sure.

Question: Why aren't you participating? It's really a lot of fun, and you don't need any sailing experience at all. We go every year, and it's always the highlight of our trip.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: August 17, 2010 09:07AM

I agree. you should go. It's a lot of fun and you can just sit there on the boat and do nothing if you want

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: August 17, 2010 04:46PM

Sailing is my hubby's thing. He's been racing sailboats since he was 4...so for 40 years. Racing on an America's Cup Yacht is going to be the highlight of the year for him I'm thinking. >grinning smiley< It just doesn't excite me, so I'd rather spend that money on something else. Plus, at this late date they probably wouldn't have any openings left for his time and date. cool smiley

Posted by: clarkee (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 17, 2010 05:55PM

I read about the 12 Metre race. Although I am coming to the island just for reat and quite, this si the one activity I am going to take advantage of. It looks so exciting.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: August 17, 2010 09:02PM

If there is one activity I would recommend is this one (beside other which are also very fun too even though different)

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: August 18, 2010 10:55AM

I can definitely relate to your husband's excitement about the Challenge. Our first time, we sailed on Dennis Connors' Stars and Stripes, and I actually cried when I got assigned to that yacht. Your husband will understand my emotion.

Posted by: drdoug (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2010 03:24PM

Kimbere,

You're in luck for a good view as you are at the Divi. You could start off by standing at the rock wall facing P'burg and the marina and watch for the 2 yachts to come into view and usually head to the open waters. Then, you can scurry up the steep hill to the fort ruins on the east end of the Divi and get a bird's eye view of the race regardless of where they go.

Warning, it can be a bit windy up there at times at certain places. A couple of times I've had a fourth of my Ting and rum drink in a plastic cup blown out as I climbed the hill for sightseeing.

Check out this high lookout after you get there, I think you'll like it.
A beautiful self guided tour with info boards awaits you up there.

Oh, ignore the sign as you go up the hill. Just don't get too close to the edges.

DrD

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.9.---)
Date: August 18, 2010 04:52PM

DrD, I can picture the rum flying away! LOL

I too think you will have an incredible v iew of the race from Divi.

Date: August 19, 2010 11:30AM

Well, I've taken all the good advice and booked a spot on the race with my hubby!! LOL! Since I don't have to do anything but enjoy and take some pics. Should be fun...now I'm excited about it. grinning smiley

What is a Ting and Rum? I'm looking to try new drinks!!

Posted by: drdoug (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2010 12:41PM

Kimbere,

Ting is a carbonated beverage popular in the Caribbean. It is flavored with St. Kitt's or Jamaican grapefruit juice and is both tart and sweet. Ting comes in a green glass bottle, or a green and yellow can. It is available all over the island. I don't think the little store at the Divi carries it though. I get mine at le Grande Marche or Cost U Less by the case and bring back a couple. Used to bring 3 or 4 cases back before the new baggage rules and fees. I like it better than Squirt.

My favorite way to drink it is to use a shot or 2 of white Appleton rum that I've had in the freezer to avoid using ice cubes. If the Ting is really cold to begin with, it stays cold enough for me before it's gone. At home, I've also used a dark rum and just as good in summer or winter to rekindle memories of SXM. Ting has also been known to be mixed with citrus vodka to create Ving. On St. Kitts, it is frequently mixed with lime rum or CSR rum for the local favorite "Ting 'n Sting".

There's another very local drink that is a bit harder to find. It's called Mauby, non-alcoholic (mostly). A well known tv chef said, "Tastes like sarsaparilla, smells like cheese."

Enjoy the 12 metre ride, but still take a hike up to the fort and see the cannons.

DrD

Date: August 19, 2010 01:17PM

Thanks for the info. I love Squirt...so I think I'll enjoy Ting as well. I've been hearing about the to-die-for MaDouDou Rum...so that would probably be a good combo! We are shopping for groceries at Grand Marche, so I'll have to pick some up.

I'm sure we'll be strolling up to the fort at some point during the week! All good....>grinning smiley<

Date: August 19, 2010 04:22PM

I'm so glad you decided to go with your hubby! You will absolutely love it!

As for MaDouDou...you can mix it if you like, but before you do that, taste it neat. I think you'll decide not to mix it with anything!

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.9.---)
Date: August 20, 2010 10:47AM

Mix MaDouDou? Listen to Georgia.

Date: August 20, 2010 02:32PM

I can't wait to try the Banana Vanilla rum. Sounds delish...ice cold on the rocks!! I have a feeling my liver will be ready to divorce me by the time we get back home. hot smiley

Leaving tomorrow...can't wait!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |