The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Sunset Beach Bar
Posted by: Karin (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 31, 2010 06:49PM

Is the Sunset Beach Bar still closed?.. I just saw on the History Channel the 10 Most Extreme Airports (St Maarten was #4 by the way), and the show lists a production date of 2010 yet has the Sunset Beach Bar. I thought it closed?

Thanks!
Karin.

Re: Sunset Beach Bar
Posted by: BIGDENX (---.100.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2010 07:34PM

The new renters of the space originally called SUNSET BEACH BAR don't seem to object to using the old iconic name; however it is now SUNSET BAR AND GRILL.

The planes still land in close proximity and the beer ice cold.

Cruise ship passengers are taxied in numbers and the beach is filled daily.....come nightfall it quiets down and attempts to provide the excitement originally evident at the old SSBB.

What was once a party waiting to happen is now vanilla with mushy fries, no PRESIDENTE and nameless wait staff with little time to interact with the customers. Women still drink free if topless but it's rare to see and "tolerated"

The menu is similar to the original and all reports suggest it is good value and that the service is adequate.

IMHO the life has gone out of the spot over the last 2 years and my buds and I usually frequent the DRIFTWOOD at the other end ( North) of Maho Beach.

Percy Rankin and the Bonfire Band were in attendance on Friday and Sunday nights in March, appearing early and providing great reggae, rap and hip hop tunes.

Re: Sunset Beach Bar
Posted by: Neil Rooney (Moderator)
Date: July 31, 2010 08:43PM

The production crew was on Island in January 2010. I spoke with them for a while and there may be additional footage of Caribbean Bars to come..

The name Sunset Beach Bar is/was registered to the N.V. (corporation), which started the bar, at the Chamber of Commerce. If the company, West Indies Dive Bar N.V. still exists, it may have the rights to the name..............

Just Another Ho Hum Day On D Planet

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |