- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: I wanted to post these ones since loooong time!!! smoking smiley
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: July 01, 2010 03:52PM

Kim is pretty much right.. but names please.. names?

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 01, 2010 06:09PM

Grande and petit cayes? ARe these closer to the pinel area?

Date: July 01, 2010 06:25PM

Grande Caye is not on any of those two picture. Grande caye is a bit closer to pinel and facing Tintamarre...
You've got it right for the second picture : It's petite Caye (or little key..), closer to Marcel Cove, also known as "Anse de la pomme d'Adam" (Adam's apple cove) name after the Manchineels tree you can see in the picture.. those manchineels trees were the biggest and the oldest of the island... they were destroyed in 1995 by Luis.... the picture was taken in 1991...
THe first picture is wilderness which is in the continuation of Petite Caye
thumbs up

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 01, 2010 06:34PM

That was a tough one but good! Thanks Philippe.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: Mathieu (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: July 01, 2010 06:42PM

Cool. Thank you for posting these Philippe.

So, this is interesting in that its something new for me since I've never visited either of those places before (though it doesn't look like the first one has a beach). I've certainly heard of them but just never got there in all these years.
The second one - Petite Caye - looks really nice and I'm curious to know if it still looks like that today, minus all the trees I suppose. Anyone have a recent pic to post of it ? It looks like a place worth checking out in Sept.

Posted by: jimandi (---.pbtcomm.net)
Date: July 01, 2010 07:49PM

Very nice Philippe. Thank you for posting. So interesting when you give details, especially sorry the trees were lost.

Sylvia

Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time.

Date: July 01, 2010 08:04PM

The second one still look like that today, but like you said, minus the trees.. that's too bad because they were spectacular! Huge.. very tall... dangerous but beautiful. The first one, wilderness, doesn't really have a beach, but the shore is an compilation of broken corals and broken shells.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 01, 2010 08:20PM

Like I said previously, picture's quality is poor, but here are some other shots of the same beach... You can see better how much those trees were huge!

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 01, 2010 09:08PM

Gee, thanks again Philippe. You seem to have pictures of everything ! And nice shots too. I guess those pictures are not recent are they ?

May I ask a couple more q's - how does one get there. I'm assuming by car of course, but how far away does one park (i.e. and leave the car, is it safe ?) and is it a longish walk along a path to the beach (like Happy Bay) ? or is parking close to the beach, like Baie Rouge ? I guess theres not much shade either ...?

Thanks for any info.

M

Date: July 01, 2010 09:19PM

Picture were taken in 1991....
actually, no.. you are not accessing this beach by car! which is the reason why it is still absolutly undevelopped. This is a 45 minutes walk one way or the other... The "flat" way is to go to the "dump" in French cul de sac, and walk by passing it alongside the shore.. walk for about 40 to 45 minutes longing the water and then you will be there..
the other way, the "sportive/endurance" way, is starting at the anse Marce, and walk up to the "water station on the right of the exit of the chanle... on the right side of the water station, next to its fence you have a path going into the bushes.. you take this path and you go up an ddown the hills and mountain for 45 minuts and you will arrive there... It seems difficult, but my Mom did it when she was close to 70.. so it is not impossible for anyone.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 02, 2010 07:53AM

Ah, OK.
So a little out of the way, but still doable as a good hike with the reward of a nice beach and swim at the end. And then a hike back. Where can one park their car safely at Ance Marcel before doing the 'Sportive route' ? Its been a long time since I went there and I cannot remember how it is.
Thanks very much for all this info.

M

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2010 09:04AM

we stopped at wilderness one day on our boat and had a picnic on the beach. that was many years ago

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: July 02, 2010 09:10AM

This place is magic! It's still the way the whole St Martin was many years ago!.... I hope it will never be wasted and spoiled, but here again.. it's St Martin, so...can never be so sure when that's a matter of developpement and money making projects!

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: photofun (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2010 02:05PM

Phillipe,

We will be down in October and staying in Anse Marcel, could one reach this by kayak? and I suppose one would go out of the cove and go to the right? It looked to me on a map last year that there are some really nice reefs near the dump and was wondering about snorkeling there...any one know?

Keep the photos coming, I just love this since I never saw the island back then so this is a good history lesson...
Thanks

Lynne

Posted by: Ed (nine510) (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 05, 2010 04:28AM

Re: I wanted to post these ones since loooong time!!!
Date: July 02, 2010 07:53AM

Ah, OK.
So a little out of the way, but still doable as a good hike with the reward of a nice beach and swim at the end. And then a hike back. Where can one park their car safely at Ance Marcel before doing the 'Sportive route' ? Its been a long time since I went there and I cannot remember how it is.
Thanks very much for all this info.

M

Mathieu, you can get to the south-end of Grandes Cayes beach, which is just south of Petites Cayes beach, relatively easy. This is a nice beach with sand, and of course it's much bigger and closer than Petites Cayes beach. Once at Grandes Cayes beach, you could always walk north along the length of Grandes Cayes beach (a full half mile) to the footpath and over to Petites Cayes beach.

There was a thread about these north/east-side beaches, but it was some time ago (early 2000's). I think I startd thread but I an't remember which board.

Anyway, there were a few replies from people who had actually visited Grandes Cayes beach. From their directions, you would park near the dump (located north of Cul de Sac/Etand de la Barriere (the pond) and take the unpaved road to the dump area, and then, maybe more like a footpath to the beach. From memory, I'm pretty sure they mentioned that you have to climb down a bit to the beach from an intitial elevation as you approach the beach; but it's not "a biggie." The walk, once parked, is probably around 1/4 mile or so; it depends on how far up the "dump road" you can park.

Ed

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |