The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Little Divi
Posted by: MPlatt (---.144.188.173.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 28, 2010 01:59PM

We're coming to the island for the first time on 7/10 and staying for the week. Can anybody give me any info on the Little Divi Bay resort? Also, what about any restaurants insight or within walking distance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Little Divi
Posted by: ANON (---.muf122.nycm.n54ny05r18.dsl.att.net)
Date: June 28, 2010 02:16PM

First off it's either Divi Resort,Divi Divi Resort or Divi Little Bay Resort if I am not mistaken. Commonly refered to as just Divi on sxm. There are restraunts on site and down the beach next door at the Belair and your just a short drive from all the places on Front Street and not all that far from whatever else on the island strikes your mood if the traffic Gods are in your favour.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 28, 2010 02:46PM

It's Divi Little bay, affectionately called Little Bay by those of us who knew it way back when.
It is a very nice resort not far outside of philipsburg
they have a couple of restaurants on site but there is not much within walking distance. you can walk into town, which has shops, bars, restaurants, during the day time although its up over a hill.
do not walk at night though.
I hope you are going to rent a car. it s the only way to really enjoy the island.
if you want to go to dinner in philipsburg one night, I suggest Antoine's, a very nice french restaurant

[www.antoines.com]

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Mitch (12.150.45.---)
Date: June 29, 2010 11:35AM

Unless you want to spend a lot of money on cabs I would think a rental car is essential. I have stayed at Divi Little Bay several times. It is a wonderful resort but very 'stand-alone'. It is situated almost entirely on a point of land so it has two water fronts (only one swimable) and several pools. There are several special dinner nights at the resort that are good but the wonderful thing about SXM is the restaurants. All kinds of places from very informal to fancy. Not to mention the beaches. Bottom line...rent a car.

Posted by: drdoug (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2010 12:09PM

Hi Barbara1,

I agree that Antoines is a very good restaurant near the Divi. The one that popped up from your link is very historic and the time I went there seemed a bit pricy and maybe living off the old days reputation. It was a tad bit closer going to our French city in the states rather than P-burg.

Maybe this one for the Divi folks.

www.antoinerestaurant.com

Dr Doug

Posted by: Augie (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 29, 2010 01:12PM

>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<

Augie;

I am an agnostic dyslexic who questions if there really is a dog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 01:13PM by Augie.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2010 01:52PM

oops. sorry
thanks Dr. Doug

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 01:52PM by Barbara1.

Posted by: MPlatt (---.106.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 29, 2010 09:19PM

Thanks all for the information. Antoine's looks great. We definitely planned to rent a car and explore the island. Anybody have any insight into Happy Hour(s) at Divi or anywhere within walking distance?

Posted by: Augie (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 29, 2010 10:11PM

Next door at Belair, happy hour is 4:00-6:00
2 for 1 pricing

Augie;

I am an agnostic dyslexic who questions if there really is a dog.

Date: June 30, 2010 06:39AM

Divi has 3 bars. There are happy hours daily at two of them, however it is just one hour at one bar then shifts to the other bar for another hour. I'm sure the SeaBreeze is first.

You might discover another one, as your balcony overlooking the sunset if you are on the little bay side. Nothing beats a glass of chilled crisp white wine, or a rum and Ting as you see the sunset and green flash. Booze, wine and beer are so cheap on the island most Divi folks stock up their rooms. Rooms even have blenders for the frozen stuff.

Do walk the beach westward to the Belair, can't miss it as it's next door and check out their cafe and bar. Drop in to Jodi's and get some Etna ice cream and you'll really be happy. Warning, it must be 40% butterfat. I like the coconut, but many others savor the rum raisin.

I know you'll enjoy your stay.

Dr Doug

Posted by: Sharyn (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 30, 2010 07:21PM

Hi, My husband & I stayed at the Divi Little Bay Beach Resort the last week of April & we returned home on 5/2. We did not have a time share, we had a regular hotel room on the second floor. The grounds were immaculate & beautiful. The beach is clean & quiet. There is a water sports shop right on the beach, you can get your beach towels there each day also. You should not be over run by people constantly trying to sell you things. The water is usually calm. Our room, while old, was clean & everything worked. The bed was very comfortable. The resort staff was fine. The housekeeping on our room was usually done in the late afternoon but this was not an issue since we had a rental car (a must on the island) and were away for most of each day. The outside bars were nice, Really nothing there for night life, they had Karaoke on Fri while we were there & that was it. The 3 pools are awesome. While the prices on the menu at the on site restaurant may seem a little steep to some people, do try it at least once for dinner. We ate there for breakfast & for dinner 3-4 times for each and were completely satisfied & full afterward. We recommend the fried Grouper,the Rasta Pasta Bowl, when looking for something without meat, and the Fettuccine Al Fresco-delicious & full of awesome seafood. The wait staff may seem a little slow but remember that they are on "island time" but they are very nice & hard working. There is a coffee shop on site, good coffee & fresh made pastry around 7:30-8:00am. There is a Small store on site but it is very expensive. That is where the Internet cafe is. They do sell liquor & beer in the on site Jewelry store & it is very cheap. The views out onto either Little or Great Bay are just incredible. Be sure to locate the infinity pool if just to watch the sun set. We felt completely safe there, security walks the grounds at night. What I didn't like: the balcony faces the beach, of course, but the cool trade winds blow in from the other side so the breezes hit the doors to the rooms. Often our balcony was too hot to sit out on. The other, and more important thing, was the stray cat population in residence on the resort. The cats stay near the time shares mostly. It was very sad. The resort tells guests not to feed the cats and that the resort feeds them and spays/neuters them. I'm not saying that is a lie but the cats look like aliens-their heads are bigger than their emaciated bodies, they are starving (will even eat pasta!) and there are kittens running around. I bought cat food & fed them twice per day each day that we were there. We also never went anywhere on the island without dog bones & cat food in our backpacks. The island has a problem with strays of both types. Sad. Do try to make it to the french side, especially Marigot, and to the beaches on the east side of the island (Dawn Beach at the Westin Resort is my favorite) to see the beautiful sand, incredible water & cool breezes. While the beach at the Divi is very nice, the sand there is sort of grayish so it makes the water look different. Get out & see the other beaches for a true eye full! I hope that you will find some of this helpful. Enjoy your trip/stay.

Posted by: Kimbere (---.lightspeed.livnmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 30, 2010 09:57AM

Was there a coffee pot in your room? We will be staying in a Studio...and I have my fingers crossed. I'd like to be able to have our coffee on the balcony every morning. smiling smiley

Date: July 30, 2010 03:13PM

Kimbere,

I have a 1 BR ts and there has always been a coffee maker in it. When we used to drink it, we always took some filters and our special blend just to be ready from the gitgo.

Not that I would recommend it to a stranger, but a Dutch coffee on vacation isn't so bad.

Enjoy your stay.

DrD

Posted by: Kimbere (---.lightspeed.livnmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 03, 2010 04:14PM

Thanks!! I'm packing our little cups of vanilla creamer and some coffee. Almost forgot about filters. LOL!

Posted by: Karin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 03, 2010 10:16PM

Kimbere,

I stayed in the 2br unit there once (which was comprised of a 1BR connecting with a Studio) and I remember my brother making coffee in his unit (he was in the studio portion). So I'm 99.99% sure there's a coffee pot in those as well. If not, you can always try contacting housekeeping..

When are you going?.. I'm heading down there this Saturday for 2 weeks.. woohoo..

Karin.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |