The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

SXM ice cream
Posted by: kmp (---.testair.com)
Date: June 23, 2010 01:05PM

Hi folks,
We'll be leaving Sunday for SXM and want to thank you all for a lot of good info. I feel like i'm well prepared and can't wait.

I read somewhere about some locally made ice cream that is out of this world but can't find it again. I'm not sure but it might startwith "E". Is it available island wide and what's it called?
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SXM ice cream
Posted by: Elaine (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 01:24PM

Etna. YUMMY! Available everywhere in the grocery stores.

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.108.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2010 01:31PM

Hey!

As Elaine will confirm, ( I trust ) ETNA always seems to be in its' own smaller freezer. At FOOD EXPRESS in MAHO it used to be to the right of the cash registers as you come in....always well stocked and the RUM and RAISIN is second row from the left in the freezer.....We mix up a bit of black Guyana Demerara Rum and whipped cream as a topping....

Denis

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 06:05PM

Awe, Den, tampering with the Etna Rum Raisin? Why, that's almost sacreligious and there ought to be a law against it!! Somethings just need to be eaten au naturelle. Well, perhaps that wasn't the best choice of words but c'est la vie!! And I know you're getting my point.

My DH ate almost a full gallon of this over our last two week visit in April. Well, he might have had a little help from a friend....

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: Mathieu (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: June 24, 2010 12:41AM

Speaking of locally made ice creams, does anyone know if that sweet old lady is still selling home-made coconut ice cream out of a wooden salt ice bucket, under a tree just outside Marigot ?

Her ice cream was/is very delicious, not too creamy but full of coconut milk and bits, though a bit pricey for the amount you get. I hope shes still around.

Posted by: Elaine (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 24, 2010 06:33AM

Haven't seen her in almost a year. Boy, wasn't that just a TREAT????

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 24, 2010 06:41AM

Elaine and Mathieu,

We specifically went looking for her both in April and November past and never were able to find her. Both times we thought perhaps we'd just missed her but it sounds as though she's given up the job. For her sake I guess that's a good thing but I have to tell you, that's one island tradition for our family that truly is missed.

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: June 24, 2010 07:09AM

I believe she moved to "talk of the Town" in Gd Case!... I am pretty sure that's her, even though I wasn't sure recognizing her, but the homemade coconut ice cream coming out of her ice maker was the same great taste and quality!... Realize also that since they built the turnabout at that intersection, car don't stop anymore, they just move on around the circle, so it was maybe difficult for her business...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: kmp (---.testair.com)
Date: June 24, 2010 07:31AM

Thanks guys! Man i can't wait----rum raisin seems ton be the favorite, huh?
I might have to try them all. And the homemade coconut--wow! Hope i can find her.
Thanks and seeya in the sand!

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |