gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tyre Repairs
Posted by: REB (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: June 20, 2010 09:27AM

Hi All,

My wife and I are currently enjoying our holiday here on SXM (although the weather could have been better over the last two days cool smiley).

Unfortunately, we have suffered a puncture on our hire car and rather than face the hire car company's price for getting it fixed, I thought I would seek advice here as to the best place to get it sorted myself. It is possible that the puncture is in the side wall as I couldn't see anything obvious on the tread when I removed the wheel - and in the UK that would mean a new tyre. What sort of price would I looking at for a tyre? The car is a Hyundai Getz so only a smallish wheel.

So any advice on where I should go please? We are at the Divi Little Bay Resort so anywhere on this side of the island would be useful.

Thanks in advance.

REB

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tyre Repairs
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: June 20, 2010 09:57AM

I think you should just bring your tire to a tire repair place and get it fixed for $5.... you have a couple of them in madame estate on illidge road, before the bowling alley, almost next to bario latino... Ask to your activity desk how to get there, both tire place are open on sunday, and I am sure you will get it fix in few minuts for a minimum cost.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: SXMWendell (75.11.156.---)
Date: June 20, 2010 01:21PM

A sidewall puncture can't be fixed. But as Phillipe said ask at the front desk.

SXM??? Wendell

Date: June 20, 2010 03:03PM

They fix anything in sxm, including sidewall puncture, believe me, except if the hole or the tear is way too large! when you deal with santo dominicanos everything is possible... [www.4x4abc.com]

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2010 03:05PM by Tabba Khady.

Posted by: REB (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: June 20, 2010 03:41PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I found one of the places that Tabba suggested but it appeared closed at about 10:30 this morning. I'll take a drive over there in the morning.

As I said initially, a sidewall puncture certainly cannot be repaired legally in the UK but I don't know about here in SXM. Guess I'll find out the damage tomorrow.

Thanks again,

REB

Date: June 20, 2010 04:03PM

everything is legal here.... at least regarding tires!...grinning smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Ita (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 20, 2010 05:47PM

There's also a place in Cole Bay, behind Tropicana. You can't miss it.
And the Shell on Union Road also repairs tires I believe!
Cheers
irina

Posted by: SXMWendell (75.11.156.---)
Date: June 20, 2010 06:29PM

The reason it can't be legally repaired is the repair won't hold and can deflate the tire immediately causing a serious accident.

SXM??? Wendell

Posted by: Elaine (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 21, 2010 06:58AM

Reason has no meaning here.

Date: June 21, 2010 07:33AM

We repair those tires in anyway here and they hold... truly! sometime I think that only in the States people find reason to simply "change the whole" (and not only about tires but about anything...) ... it serve the purpose of the producer and the one of the reseller... and make the economy going...
Here we do a different way, and it is not necessary the wrong one...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Zebulon (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2010 08:25AM

What did you hit?

Posted by: Neil Rooney (Moderator)
Date: June 21, 2010 09:42AM

Cole Bay Tire Center will patch any tyre!

Just Another Ho Hum Day On D Planet

Posted by: ANON (---.muf122.nycm.n54ny05r18.dsl.att.net)
Date: June 21, 2010 12:23PM

reb
i DON'T know who your renting your car from but dont most of them just come and fix it for you and send you on your way? I nver had to pay for a damaged tyre on this island ever and have even had the rental co come in the later part of the evening to fix one when it was flat in the lot after dinner. Tehre were no questions and no extra charges. I mean if you did something really stupid like drove five miles on the flat or something but considering the conditions of the roads and most of the tires in the first place I would of just called the rental co and had them come out myself. Its nice of you to do this but your on vacation after all. I dont think Id waste my time myself on it.

Posted by: MarcG (---.si.cgocable.ca)
Date: June 21, 2010 03:16PM

I`m with you ANON....i would not waste any vacation time on this. Just call the rental car company, and they will come and do it. Unless you hit something and you are at fault. But even if it were that, i`m pretty sure some of the more reputable companies would change it at no charge

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 21, 2010 08:12PM

And I also agree. The rental car company should not charge you for the tire change or repair but if they do, as long as you have insurance on your rental, you could always file a claim when you get home as long as your rental company gives you the paperwork regarding the repair. For this claim, you could always say that someone slashed your tire. There have been a few discussions on this in the past but I will repeat for you.

If you charged your rental with a valid credit card that pays for international travel collision insurance, then any issues regarding a claim could be filed with your credit card company. Our CapitalOne Visa covers our collision insurance for free and there is no deductible.

But truthfully, I have never heard of a rental company charging for a tire change and this is the first place I would check. They usually come to wherever you are, change the tire, and then leave. They are used to this as the roads on the island are not the greatest and their tires are usually not the greatest either.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |