The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Sapphire Beach Club
Posted by: sgreisman (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2010 08:58AM

Has anyone recently been to the Sapphire Beach Club? We are curious about recent conditions at the Hotel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sapphire Beach Club
Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 11, 2010 09:23AM

Based on all the trip reports I have read in the last 6 months, it doesn't sound that the Sapphire has changed much for many years. The place is still clean and offers basically the same room decor and views but the staff attitude has not changed much at all. It seems to be hit or miss with getting things corrected or questions answered. To me, if it weren't for the staff, the place would rate much better.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: Zebulon (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2010 10:21PM

The only two problems I've had over the years at Sapphire were with the bar owner and the variety store owner. Simple solution........ spent my $$$$$ elsewhere. Never a problem with the staff......ever

Posted by: rich H (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 28, 2010 12:58PM

My wife and I spent a week at the Sapphire Beach Club in October 2009. Magnificent views from the balcony, and a great location, but the hotel was in disrepair and dirty. We also had many ants and cockroaches in the room (8th floor). To the point where I would not stay there again. Had no issues with the staff though.

Posted by: Chow Family (---.bos1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: June 28, 2010 01:54PM

It has been a while, but I have enjoyed the Sapphire. Decent, enjoyable pool and landscaping, and good proximity to la Sucriere for breakfast and the restaurants around Marigot for dinner. Access also very good to Mullet beach, Maho and all of its delicious restaurants. Temptation and Rare are worth a splurge.

The waterfront views are the better units by far, but if you get stuck in the back you can see the lagoon from the bedroom. I have found that the staff can be very helpful. Your mileage may vary. I would return anytime.

Posted by: Jerry W. (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 06, 2010 03:17PM

Have owned there for 12 years and and the place has gone from highly rated 4 star to a 1 or 2 star. Mold in one tower makes you sick within days, if you can get past the stink. Restaurant has been closed by the health dept. . Staff are not motivated to help because Maintenance staff are totally unresponsive and the place is filthy and is being used as a cash cow by the developer.

Posted by: roadrunner (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2010 04:46PM

I alway wondered why anybody would want to "own"anything with these time share deals.

Posted by: Neil Rooney (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2010 07:28AM

I'm sure that they 'give' you a nifty piece of paper to frame.

Just Another Ho Hum Day On D Planet

Posted by: pasnyder (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2010 08:31PM

I'm assuming the majority of us timeshare owners on SXM are folks who went down in the early 90's. We found an island that we fell in love with. Cows were still crossing the roads when you drove over to Grand Case. It was a heaven for us hard working baby boomers. We came down on a gambling junket in 91 at Maho. We decided to take a chance at sitting through a timeshare spiel, and walk away with $100 in our pocket. But.... instead bought a week at Royal Islander. Back in those days, if you went to one per day, you could make $100 a day! And people were doing that. But many folks bought a week too.

Are we happy we did? Yes. We were fortunate to buy at Royal Islander. But many of our friends have walked away from their timeshares at other resorts on SXM. It's a different island these days and timeshares are (to me) not a good investment. But we didn't buy it as an investment. We just wanted that week every year to get away and relax.

So..... this is how we came about buying a timeshare.

Pauline

Posted by: Pajo (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2010 12:20AM

We stayed at Sapphire last November and are happy to say we will be back on November 6th for another week. I guess that about says it all on our feelings

Posted by: delorget (12.38.2.---)
Date: October 29, 2010 12:45PM

Just returned from two weeks at the Sapphire Beach Club. Have been members for more than ten years, and this has been the most disappointed we have been with the facilities. One would think the front desk would let you know at check-in that room service has been reduced to 1 day a week. It was bad enough that they put a sign up at the desk that indicated that towels were to be exchanged on Tuesday and Saturday only. When my wife asked about it, the reply was; "Can't you read?". That didn't go over well. They put us in a different room since our usual was being renovated, which was a room in need of renovation. The place was pretty empty, you would like to think they would put us in a room that was already renovated. We struggled with the A/C until Friday.. 'nuff said.

Second week we moved to a villa. This had been renovated prior to a last years visit, and already the tv in the living room was defunct. There were signs placed on the tv, iron and stove when we arrived, indicating problems. The front desk said they would replace the tv, but it never did happen.

Other than that, wonder stay in beautiful SXM and looking forward to the next one. Just wish we could ditch SBC and get into somewhere else without losing our entire investment.

Posted by: pasnyder (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2010 03:29PM

We are scheduled to arrive tomorrow at Sapphire, and RCI has us in apt A011. Which one were you in?

Also, do we need to bring our own beach towels? Thanks, hope you get to read this by tonight!

Pauline

Posted by: kathy (---.dhcp.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: October 31, 2010 02:59PM

I think that A011 is a villa that we were in for 2 weeks the first of Oct. The furnishings are new, the view is wonderful. You may have a few furry friends at your door because we fed them quite well. Housekeeping is not the best and the appliances are pretty shabby. Have a wonderful trip. Toppers is a great, inexpensive place to eat.

Posted by: pasnyder (---.232.112.74.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: November 01, 2010 12:39PM

The catd have been meowing at the front door. No wonder!!!! Cloudy today, and using WIFI at Kakoa.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |