- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10
Re: Another stroll through Time
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: June 02, 2010 08:45PM

And I was saying that the reason why we were almost ready to conclude that it was burgeaux bay was... also to get a reaction out of her!!! LOOL....>grinning smiley< DONE !!!

No otherwise we almost conclude it is Maho.. but not in the 80's... I beleive the picture was taken much before that! First, the bathing suit Andrea is wearing (eye rolling smiley) is not a bathing suit from the 80's but (after some research on my side..smoking smiley) it is more from the late 60's early 70's...
second, it is confirmed that the white stuff are boulders! It is very clear on the original (I will post tomorow morning some detail from the original pic so you can see...).
The 5 other smaller antenas are not antenas.. they are electric poles.
at the location where Vicky earlier traced a blue circle and the red one and said (I quote) "The blue circle seems to be a small strip of low lying bushes extending out toward the water and beyond that (the red circle) looks like it's a continuation of the beach on the other side of the bushes as the beach wraps around the bend", there are effectively some bushes and the begining of what seems to be a wall.. a sea wall maybe? allight, there is some sand in front of it, a lot of sand, but why not in the late 60's or early 70's Maho would have had, a one time more sand in that direction? I remember that years ago, early 90's you could walk all along Cupecoye, almost up to Mullet without walking on rock! It could be the same at one time at Maho....
Also, far away there are two buildings... one look strangely like the Ferier's residence before they re-did the roof, and the other one remind me the first villa close to the runway chainlink at the entrance of Beacon Hill...
So many signs pointing at Maho...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2010 08:51PM by Tabba Khady.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 02, 2010 09:26PM

All I can say is WOW! You both did a terrific job of investigating and so thorough too. I have to say that I learned so much more from your meeting than I could have ever done just looking at the photo and I am so impressed.

I remember years ago when we first visited the island with our friends who introduced it to us. They told us that Maho beach had so much more sand on it than what we were seeing. Unfortunately, the major hurricanes that had hit the island prior to our arrival destroyed all that and so what we were seeing now was only a fraction of what the beach actually looked like. So sad.

But the thing that convinced me it was Maho was simply the rock formations in the foreground. The curve of the beach as well as the thin tower as a beacon for planes coming in at night helped but truthfully, everything else was secondary. We own at Royal Islander and I have spent many a day just looking at the rocks along the shoreline from the same viewpoint as the photographer and so that is why I believe that the photographer was standing in front of where the Tortuga Restaurant is now. I can't see how those rocks that are usually under water now could have budged an inch for many a year.

And finally, I have to commend Philippe for going a step further and investigating the age of the photo! Simply awesome detective you are! Thanks to both.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: andrea (---.edward.org)
Date: June 03, 2010 11:09AM

60s or 70s?!?! Well geez sillies, that can make a difference! Um... I have maho pics from both those times. However I'm unable to get them anytime soon.

Btw, I think it's Colonel Mustard, with the candlestick, in the conservatory.

peace smiling smiley

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 03, 2010 11:13AM

I would think though that they would not be YOUR photos but those of your great grandmothers....hint..hint...lol

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Date: June 03, 2010 12:53PM

All right... as promise here are some details of the original picture...

as you can see, those white stuff are boulders!!!

as you can see, those little antenas are electric poles (enlarge the pic, it will be more evident, specially with the one one the extreme right of the picture..) and you can see the wall also on the right with sand in front of it...

Those two building in the background look familiar.. don't they?

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2010 04:23PM

those buildings are what is making me nuts Philippe.
they look so familiar.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: June 03, 2010 07:16PM

The Ferier's Residence, I am sure.... Now it has a zinc roof but before 95 it had a flat roof.. I am sure of that!

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: jimandi (---.pbtcomm.net)
Date: June 03, 2010 07:51PM

You have certainly presented a strong case Philippe. When you have time, on PJIA web site, in the history there are old pictures of the airport. One early 1960's one about 1974. Both show Maho Bay from the air as it was.

Thank you both for your time. This has been really fun.

Date: June 03, 2010 08:45PM

Then I have NO DOUBT anymore !!! It was certainly between 1964 and 1974, like the bathing suit "said"... Thank you Sylvia for pinting at those archives pics of PJIA!

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2010 07:09AM

wow, great pictures
who knew they were there? oh yea, Sylvia knew. thanks!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Zebulon (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2010 08:25AM

Now that this is settled can we get back to the important stuff like: which rental car company?; rental car insurance; where to buy ice; weather;crime;
airfares ...... oops.......sorry wrong forum...... yawning smiley

Really,informative and fun thread, thanks to all that contributed.

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 04, 2010 09:10AM

While I haven't been visiting the island long enough to have the slightest clue where this was, I thoroughly enjoyed following the thread and seeing the lengths that everyone went to in order to solve the mystery. It's easy to see that you all have a great passion for St. Maarten/St. Martin! Thanks for the great entertainment!

Date: June 04, 2010 09:26AM

If you look closely to the first of the two PJIA picture you can see the boulders and how big they were at that time...

This thread certainly was interesting and entertaining, and at least it forced me to come out of my office...LOL Barbara certainly knows how to get my interest going! ;

So... what's the next clue?? smoking smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: June 04, 2010 11:09AM

what I find even more amazing is how large the lagoon was, and if you look you can see the large salt pond!!

Posted by: mikentara (---.153.5.248.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 04, 2010 11:38AM

great fun!
Let's do another one!???????

Pages: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |