- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10
Re: Another stroll through Time
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2010 01:12PM

so are we beginning to come to a consensus that it is maho?
but then what are all those buildings in the original picture?

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2010 01:42PM

I personally don't think they are buildings.. way to small to be buildings if you compare their size with the size of the people walking in front... maybe a mix of cars parked and boulders?...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: andrea (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 31, 2010 05:24PM

IT IS NOT MAHO!!!!! I'm telling you there is way too much beach at the Caravanserai end in B's pic. And, the arc of the bay isn't right. And, the boulders that were there were never that big... and they were dark, not white.

I'm still not giving in.... tongue sticking out smiley grinning smiley

peace smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2010 05:27PM by andrea.

Posted by: jimandi (---.pbtcomm.net)
Date: May 31, 2010 05:33PM

Nor am I.... Sorry, but nothing fits for me.eye popping smileygrinning smiley

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2010 05:53PM

Don't base the color of the boulders on the photo. Look at the color of the sand! It's pure white! Like SXM ever had pure white sand...lol... And if you look at Barbara's post card, you can see the boulders lined up just like the pure white objects in Barbara's photo.

It all depends on the angle the original photographer took the photo. He could have very easily stood where I believe he stood and omited the rock formations that began as the beach slowly disappeared.

My vote is still Maho based on so many factors, including but not limited to the thin tower, the poles in the distance that seem to follow a shoreline, the topless woman which you would never see on a British Island, the line-up of boulders that matches Barbara's postvard, the beach that curves suddenly where SSBB would have been, the jagged rocks in the foreground that Maho still has, the foliage that matches Barbara's postcard, and the people standing at the end of the runway as if waiting for the next plane to arrive, smiling smileygrinning smileywinking smiley

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: contessa (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2010 06:15PM

Vicki, my money's on you!! Personally, having been to SXM since the early 80's everything looked the same. It wasn't as built up....Mullet looking absolutely NOTHING like what it looked like in the 90's or up 'til now.....it's difficult to gain a perspective. However, I think V. has something and it could very well be Maho. It's also difficult to remember Maho the way it was.....which, btw, also NOTHING like the Maho of present!! Geesh....this is more difficult that I'd have thought.
OMG.....when I think of Maho and what it was and what it was is like speaking of different countries. Same with Mullet and Orient. Those areas have had the greatest transformation over the years.
Thanks Barbara for the brain teasers. We needed it! confused smiley I think!!

smileys with beer Contessa

Date: May 31, 2010 06:34PM

Yes, thank you Barbara! This is fun!

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Date: May 31, 2010 08:00PM

I just heard from 2 friends of mine. My girlfriend has been here as long as me and her husband grew up here. They are both convinced it is Maho.
her husband says before the road was fixed, they used to line the beach with rocks.
and she says that "the angle of the photographer is unusual.
Caravanserai was all low buildings, therefore invisible on the picture from the angle of the photographer. I imagine the photographer standing approx. where now the restaurant next to Royal Islander's pool is.
The antenna that is visible was there where now the round, wheel shaped thing on the airport terrain is. Out on Beacon hill, on the rocks, there was a radio Antenna looking like this one. "

so the consensus of opinion is:
MAHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 31, 2010 08:06PM

So I guess I have to concede to those with far more island knowledge than I'll ever posess but Wow! I can see how similar the photos arcs are, but it's just not what I remember at Maho in the 80's. We used to take the kids there all the time in the evening and watch the few night time airplanes and while the post card perspectives are similar, it just doesn't look right to me. And while I do remember some rocks, they I don't recall them being anything like the sizes shown.

How nice of you to go to all that effort, Philippe, and your picitures are excellent but I just can't accept for sure that it's Maho. So I'm guessing I'm on the Andrea/Sylvia team on this one.

And where, oh where, are all those visitors who used to stay at the original Caravanserai when it was the very elite little sister hotel to Mullet. Isn't there anyone on this forum who used to stay there 'back in the day' and might remember that walk across the beach?

Vicki,

I agree, never on AXA would you see topless bathers and particularly not back then. But there are exceptions to everything and who knows - in an isolated location for a photo shoot that no one was watching? I don't know, it just so looks like AXA to me.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: kim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 31, 2010 08:26PM

B - the second post card, when you zoom it you can see a hotel in the background, but whats interesting is it looks more like Mullet with the Concord aka Maho in the background, which you prob could have seen prior to mullet being built! But I guess it could be the Caravansari, but I don't remeber it looking like that!!

Again, the second postcard, wouldn't you see "the Point" bar or whatever it was called at the Original Caravansari???

Date: May 31, 2010 09:23PM

Hi Barbara...since you have the clear photo, could you do me a favor and look at the last supposed boulder on the left of where I believe the airport is. To me it looks more like a small prop plane as there seems to be a tail which is higher up and then a lower long white blob extending across to the right. I tried zooming but the scan is too pixelated to see accurately.

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: June 01, 2010 07:20AM

Even though I was the one guessing Maho in the first place, there are still some doubts about what are those "white stuff"... so I will try something on the original picture (the one Barbara sent me weeks ago) which is the same as the one in this post but in a much larger pixel size... the problem is I can't do it now, because the saved picture is on my computer in my office and I am home right now... If it works it will tell us what those "white stuff" are, and then it will determine further if there a possibility this is Maho or not...eye rolling smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 01, 2010 07:23AM

That's great Philippe!thumbs up And the drum roll please.... grinning smiley

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: June 01, 2010 08:37AM

great philippe
let's solve this mystery once and for all LOL

Posted by: andrea (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 01, 2010 09:26AM

on closer inspection it appears those white things are really a Walmart. smoking smiley

peace smiling smiley

Pages: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |