well, that is interesting!
could it be the same then?
I hate to admit it but maybe kim is right eye rolling smiley

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another stroll through Time
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: May 28, 2010 02:50PM

You know how stuborn I am..LOL grinning smiley I think I will find some time this sunday to go to mullet and Maho to take some picture under different angles... and see! eye rolling smileyangry smileygrinning smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 30, 2010 09:43AM

I say it is Maho Beach because of the various towers you see in the background from left to right in the far distance and no hills whatsoever behind them nor anywhere in Barbara's photo. The taller very thin towers (maybe for the airport) seem to have been placed along the curve of a beach (maybe Simpson Bay Beach) plus back in those days, Maho Beach near the Royal Islander area, was much wider with rocks and boulders on the beach such as what is posted near the woman. I say that those larger white objects are boulders indicating the beginning of the runway. If there is a fence, it probably is just not showing up in the photo because of the angle. Also the tower would be another indication of the airport. All of course, IMHO... smiling smiley

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: jimandi (---.pbtcomm.net)
Date: May 30, 2010 07:08PM

I still do not believe it is Maho Beach. I lived on Beacon Hill during the 60's and 70's and the only tower I remember was on the very point of Beacon Hill. And that tower I do not remember being able to see from the Parker Hotel/Concord Hotel. But I could be wrong. I have been wrong once or twice in my life.

I think it is Shoal Bay on Anguilla and Pat was the first to guess that.>grinning smiley<

Date: May 30, 2010 07:14PM

One reason I would think it is not Anguilla is because the woman is topless. It is my understanding that Anguilla is totally against any nudity and so back in those days, this would have been a terrible faux pas, same as seeing photos of Bermuda back in those days, and even today.

Being that you lived in that area back then, do you remember boulders at the end of the runway closest to the water? I would assume that if you don't remember any, then truly this would not be Maho.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: Too Bad (12.16.111.---)
Date: May 30, 2010 07:25PM

This is all gone.

Posted by: jimandi (---.pbtcomm.net)
Date: May 30, 2010 08:39PM

Yes, as I have previously stated, there were boulders. They were between the road and the beach. But they were not as large as they appear in Barbara's picture. Could they have been distorted by the type of lens used on the camera? Sure they could have been. But in my mind, the curve of the beach, the additional towers and the sand/sea around the point tells me it is not Maho.

Date: May 30, 2010 08:42PM

Thanks Jimandi for your take on this.

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: May 30, 2010 09:04PM

OK...I have a question... I've placed 2 circles on the photo and I'm pretending now that it was Maho. The blue circle seems to be a small strip of low lying bushes extending out toward the water and beyond that (the red circle) looks like it's a continuation of the beach on the other side of the bushes as the beach wraps around the bend. Pretending that it was Maho, was there mostly beach where the Sunset Beach Bar was built and bolders brought in to stabilize that area for construction (Carnevarsarie) or were the bolders/rocks already there and Carnevarsarie built just within. I never saw Maho back in those days and wonder what it looked like before SSBB and Carnevarsarie. Would love to know.

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: May 31, 2010 09:51AM

Maho yesterday....

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 31, 2010 11:02AM

Thanks Phillipe for taking the time to go and get a photo. It seems like the same curving although my guess is that if it was Maho, the photographer would have been standing close to the shoreline in line with the steps of RI that lead down to the beach nearest Tortuga (not the large steps) and the rocks by Driftwood bar. Being in that position, he would be capturing more of the curve on the right but if you did that yesterday, the wall would have been obstructing your view and you wouldn't have gotten such a good photo. Thanks! Love the B&W effect as well.

I still would love to know if the area around Carnevarsarie was beachy or rocky back in those days. My guess is that it was beachy but underneath rocky with volcanic formations that maybe eventually got exposed due to bad storms eroding the land.

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2010 11:37AM

will this help? I have 2 old post cards from the 1970's.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: kim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 31, 2010 12:27PM

WOW!! Amazing difference over the years!

Date: May 31, 2010 12:42PM

More and more I am thinking that Maho is the good guess, specialy after what I saw yesterday, and now the second post card you just posted !grinning smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 31, 2010 12:43PM

That's perfect Barbara! The rocks at the tip of Carnevarsarie are showing (so no beach all the way around) and I can see that this was mostly beach where SSB&G is located now. But what you can also see in the bottom postcard are the large boulders defining the airstrip and from a distance, they do look quite large.

[www.vrbo.com]

Pages: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |