- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10
Re: Another stroll through Time
Posted by: jimandi (---.pbtcomm.net)
Date: May 27, 2010 07:13PM

confused smileyconfused smiley I can somewhat see Maho and that may be the best guess Philippe, but the 'little white' whatevers still leaves me puzzled.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2010 07:14PM

No, you can't see Beacon hill tower from Baie Longue, and La Samana is at the end of Baie Longue (or begining.. it depends from which direction you are looking at..) very close to and partially attached to the cliff (cliff which is turning into cupecoye further away)... so , it cannot be Baie Longue.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 27, 2010 07:40PM

Could they be boulders? to protect the runway... does someone remember the configuration of this part of the beach in 1984?...
Plus, it really look like the surf of Maho...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2010 08:33PM

Philippe,

As I remember Maho Beach in 1984 there really wasn't all that much difference as far as the airport was concerned - still a fence at the end of the runway, the road, the inclined beach and the water. Of Course, the boat bar and the SSB&G weren't even thought of and the road itself was not divided. I don't remember any boulders and I definitely don't recall any greenery in that amount, but then, sometimes I have a hard time remembering if I had my coffee yet!! confused smileyconfused smiley

Another thought that crossed my mind was Baie Rouge looking from 'my house' by the rocks at the end of the beach down the beach as far as you can see, but there's that darned radio tower to be explained.

I really don't think it's Maho or Mullet and I'm still leaning on the side of Simpson Bay Beach but if there was any chance at all it might have been taken somewhere other than on St. Maarten, Kim has a good point about Anguilla. It could easily be one end of Shoal Bay looking the length of the beach.

I can't wait to find out the answer to this one.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: andrea (38.106.242.---)
Date: May 27, 2010 08:38PM

Oh geez this is driving me nuts. I'm not @ home rt now. I have mullet & maho pics. I'll look for them & post. Don't think its maho either IMO. Don't remember that much vegetation ever along the beach.

Anguilla kim? Too funny- I was thinking the same thing!

peace smiling smiley

Date: May 27, 2010 08:45PM

It cannot be Baie Rouge since the beach end up at the bottom of a very steep and high cliff called Falaise des Oiseaux.
I am still uneased with the idea of Simpson Bay, because I beleive that with any angle the photography would be taken, we should see the hills of the ilsand on the background.
Nowadays, we do have boulders bellow the sand on Maho beach as retaining wall for the road. We do not see them often, but once in a while when we have high swale taking away part of the sand. Could those boulders exist then since the 80's?
We have to realise also that the antena is VERY VERY high according to the distance from the photographer, and I am not sure either that the one on Beacon hill is that high, except if it was replaced since 84...
I can't see any radio antena right now on Anguila, it is still so "back in the time" so I do have hard time that there was one back in the 80's, and I do not think either that anguila beaches were "already" developped with buildings at that time either.
But it could be on another island, which would be "stupid" in my mind, if you want to promote St Martin... but nothing surprise me anymore, so.. LOL

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: andrea (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 27, 2010 09:54PM

Mullet Bay 1987

Barbs pic is definitely NOT Mullet. Besides the arc of the beach not being right, the structures we see on the beach don't match even 1987 (which IMO would be the same as 1984), and you can't see Maho Hotel in the background in Barb's pic - but you can see it above.

peace smiling smiley

Posted by: SXMWendell (---.dsl.covlil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2010 09:54PM

Just looked at some '85 pics I had of Mullet and it is very similar. But I think this pic could be a few years earlier. So I am going with Neil.

SXM??? Wendell

Posted by: kim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 27, 2010 10:17PM

Andrea is that you, me and one of our sisters trolling the beach???winking smiley

Posted by: jimandi (---.pbtcomm.net)
Date: May 27, 2010 10:22PM

Try as I may, I can not make Maho fit either. There were rocks between the road and beach but certainly not that large. Other points that bother me: Besides the signal tower, there are five other towers that seem to be in a straight line. The third tower seems to be in the water as if marking a channel. And finally, the water/beach seems to extend around the point.

I too am starting the think, maybe this is not St. Maarten.

Date: May 27, 2010 10:36PM

delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2010 10:44PM by kim.

Date: May 27, 2010 10:42PM

found the towers, still not convinced the original is SXM, but this could be it from a different angle? Should add, found when googled Anguilla Beaches

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2010 10:07AM by kim.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 28, 2010 08:06AM

maybe i should put the picture on facebook and see if any of the st maarteneres there can identify it

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.8.---)
Date: May 28, 2010 08:11AM

I think someone photoshopped the tower just to drive you all crazy! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 28, 2010 08:41AM

just put out an S.O.S. to Denis cool smiley

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Pages: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |