- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Taxi vs Car Rental
Posted by: Julie (---.208.252.12)
Date: May 13, 2010 09:47AM

Hi - My boyfriend and I are traveling to St. Martin for 1 week, staying in Grand Case. We are trying to figure out whether to rent a car or just take taxi's. Some say taxi's are easy to find and the rates are set. Others say to rent a car (I'm aware parking isnt easy and there can be a lot of traffic). Can anyone tell me more about the road conditions on the island - are there lights at night, are the roads paved, etc. Do taxi's stop running at a certain time?

I this helps, we'd like to go to the Butterfly Farm, horseback riding (near each other?), explore P'Burg and Marigot, drive the coast of the island-stopping off at beaches along the way.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Taxi vs Car Rental
Posted by: Elaine (190.102.9.---)
Date: May 13, 2010 11:04AM

Taxi's are quite expensive, and rates go WAY up in the evenings. The roads are paved, but not necessarily in great condition. Better on the French than Dutch side. There are lights in higher density areas. We don't really have issues parking most of the time, unless there is a special event. I have heard of folks getting stranded later in the evening on the French side unable to get a cab. Luckily, the local folks are helpful!

If you want to see the island, rent a car. Unless you intend to drink in excess, then hire a taxi!

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 13, 2010 01:17PM

We were also apprehensive about driving on the island on our first trip there, but it really is easy. First of all, you're never going very fast, because of the traffic and the condition of the roads. Also, even though there are few stoplights, everyone is very considerate and helpful in letting you in. Learn the "beep" system: one beep means "go ahead", and two beeps means "thank you". Just be a little gutsy, and you'll be just fine. Parking isn't easy as it is in the states, but it's certainly not bad enough to make me not rent a car.

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 13, 2010 06:14PM

Julie,

One more thing to consider when renting your car is the issue of motor scooter and motor cycles riders as well as those little ATV vehicals. As long as you're aware that no normal road rules seem to apply to many who choose to drive these things you're probably going to be way better off renting a car and having the freedom to explore and do what you want when you want to. But do be prepared for the cyclists that ride on the white lines taking their lanes in the middle and sometimes seem to come out of no where to pass you by.

In honesty, I can see the advantage to occasionally making arrangements to take a taxi in the evening for those special nights out, but for over-all enjoyment of the island, I would definitely want a car.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: WOW (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2010 07:30PM

Who wants to drive around the island in the back seat of a cab. Seems like it would be hard to get a real feel for the island!!

Posted by: double-D (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: May 14, 2010 10:27AM

Car rental is always at your finger tips....but you can just relax and enjoy via Taxis.
Regarding the feel.....well the taxi driver knows more than most people...a real feel in the back of a taxi!
Go and have a blast!!

Posted by: mikentara (---.153.5.137.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: May 14, 2010 02:38PM

Many cab drivers will give you their business card with their cell #, in case you need them during your stay. That way it's like your personal chauffer.

Posted by: Jason (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2010 12:28AM

I'm going to be harsh here since many on this forum don't get out much around the island no matter what they think.

RENT A CAR!!!!!

We just left and visited 14 beaches on the Island in 10 days...the worst thing you can do is stay at your resort/hotel all day and so this requires a car. If this is a romantic trip you must visit Happy Bay/beach, Prune Bay/beach, and perhaps Pinel Island (if there isn't cruise ships ported). Stay with the French side beaches as most dutch beaches are an overdeveloped mess (besides cupecoy which we also loved which is also starting to shrink from development).

Renting a compact car (not a tiny economy box) was only $180 for 10 days from Thrifty with no coupons!. We could have gotten a rental for under $150 easily if we tried harder.

Date: May 20, 2010 07:50AM

Agree with you totally Jason, only way to experience the island is to have your own car!!! However, there are those that restrict themselves to the same 2 blocks of the island venturing out only in the back seat of a cab. sad smiley

Posted by: double-D (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: May 20, 2010 10:22AM

If you drink...it is the only responsible thing to do...take a taxi!
Don't forget about sitting in traffic when you are paying big bucks for your vacation!
The island is way too small for all the vehicles!
we can take a taxi 3 blocks if you like...it just does not matter where you go....we have been all over the island via taxi....and I bet I got way more out of that than driving myself!!
It helps out with the economy of the island also!!

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.8.---)
Date: May 20, 2010 10:32AM

Dan is absolutely correct. If you drink, don't drive. Have a designated driver or take a taxi. If you don't like to drive, take a taxi. If you don't want to drive, take a taxi. It does not restrict you in any way, except the pocketbook. But it's your choice!

It's your holiday, do what you like.

Date: May 22, 2010 09:42AM

I'm not a drinker so am always able to drive. I like the freedom of just going for a drive, discovering special places, pulling over and staying for as long as I want!!! Can't beat it IMHO!!!

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.2.---)
Date: May 22, 2010 09:45AM

We also love exploring the island by car. There are some really nice hidden gems all over the island. And stopping at the side of the road for a bite is heaven!

Date: May 22, 2010 02:02PM

Elaine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We also love exploring the island by car. There
> are some really nice hidden gems all over the
> island. And stopping at the side of the road for
> a bite is heaven!

Agreed!!!

Posted by: Janet (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 19, 2010 03:44AM

Every year we rent from Hertz and they were reasonable, but this year for a van that seats 8 people, they want $900 or more and that's crazy.. Do you know any rentals that would have better prices from March 12-20 I looked at Thrifty, but they are not that better for 8 days. Have any ideas? Thanks, Jan

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |