The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Brief trip report....
Posted by: MelissaG (---.col.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 09, 2010 07:04PM

Ok, please keep in mind that these observations are my personal opinions. And to each there own right?????

We flew down and back on US Air...great flights...no problems.....

We stayed at Royal Turtle Inn for 4 nights.....great little place except for the freakin' mosquitos in our room. Got bit the first night on the back of my left hand and the sucker swelled up huge. I must have kept itching it while I was asleep. It's a cute little place. I think if I were to do it all over again, I would stay there 2 nights in the beginning of our trip and 2 nights at the end. The people are very nice there. Wasn't crazy about the monkeys, but I survived...smiling smiley

We rented a jeep from Unity, great people there as well.

We moved over to the Belair on Saturday the 1st. We love that place as well. Just wish it was a little closer to Simpson Bay....and the reason I say that is because I ABSOLUTELY hate the drive at night. I'll talk about the driving more a little later...

A few places we ate (and again...these are my opinions)

Royal Turtle Inn....T-Bone Steak.....SUCKED.....no flavoring, tough and fatty. We had breakfast there and it was great....go figure. If you stay there, the breakfasts are free except for the steak and eggs...we learned from the first night so no worries there... Other than that all other food (Breakfast) was free.

Mark's Place...was not impressed at all with the ribs. Yes, they were fall off the bone tender,
but that's about it...We met a sweet couple, don't remember where they were from, and they asked us to join them for dinner. That was real nice. I'll talk more about that later too.

Toppers I can't really say enough about this place. We LOVE the food there. More Americanized (to me). We're not big seafood eaters, so they were right up our alley. They do have seafood though. My husband had the Red Peppercorn Snapper that he does love, and I had Chicken Parm....AWESOME! Then another night, we went to his show at Toppers by the Sea and had Prime Rib and Holy Moly....that was great too!

Buccaneer Beach Bar...Had a burger there that was good. Also one night while we were at Royal Turtle Inn, we went there and got a pizza to take back to our room. We liked that too.

Rosie's at Mullet....we had the ribs there and they Rocked!....The BEST to me....

Once we got to Belair, we made homemade spaghetti and beef tips and noodles. We also made breakfast in our room too.

We did very little traveling to the French side this trip. No particular reason. This was OUR first RELAXING vacation ever. We did go to Orient, just to say we went I guess and looked around. We drove through Grand Case. I would love to eat there. It's a quaint little place. As we drove though there, all we could smell was hoohoo...ha.

We did get to the Grand Parade. It was beautiful. Those costumes are so colorful. I don't think I've ever seen so many colors at one time. And those people are amazing for walking all that way in that heat....wow, was it hot!

I got to meet Annie too...what a sweetheart. It was a brief introduction, but I finally got to meet her.

The weather was awesome this time of year. Not too humid in the mornings or evenings. I think it rained every night. Seemed like it on the jeep seats...

We met some of the nicest people. It's funny how when you travel with just your spouse, how many people you meet. When we travel with other couples, we just don't really say much to others. We're always busy talking amongst ourselves. We met quite a few people who are familiar with this site too.

We did go to the Market in Coupecoy....what a great little Gourmet store. The new Market Garden or Garden Market in Simpson Bay by the Atrium was nice too. They both are small stores, but if your stopping in just to pick as few things up, they're perfect. When we did our main shopping, we went to the Grand Marche ummmmm....by Mark's Place. I don't know what the name of that location is. Very convenient to the Belair.

We did go into Philipsburg several times. I got my ring I wanted, and my husband got 2!....What's up with that? We bought them at AMA Jewelers.....AJ and MAC are the best. Very, very, nice and such a joy to work with.

Spent everyday at Mullet....WONDERFUL!!!!! Went to Karacters once in the morning just to look around, wasn't impressed. Maybe once they're set up it's different.

That's pretty much about our trip. Nothing major, just a wonderful relaxing vacation. Once I get my pictures downloaded, I'll post them here. Thanks for reading. I hope you all didn't get too bored!

Oh yea.....I ABSOLUTELY HATE the DRIVING down there!!!!!!! My stomach was in knots all the time. I even covered my eyes when the gentleman was taking us to the airport to leave......People drive CRAZY down there!!! So you know what I needed... HAHAHA

--------------------

Melissa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brief trip report....
Posted by: Grumpy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 12, 2010 03:42PM

Thanks for your report. How did you like Belair, or have you been there before?

Posted by: MelissaG (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2010 05:31AM

Grumpy,

We have been there before. And yes, we do like it. If I had to pick 1 thing that I didn't like about it? It's that it's away from everything. I prefer to stay close to where everything is, but it's not a big deal. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Melissa

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 14, 2010 09:26AM

Melissa
thanks for the trip report!
very nice!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: double-D (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: May 14, 2010 10:23AM

Great report....what is Hoo-Hoo?

Date: May 14, 2010 02:35PM

double D,

hoo hoo is the "funny" stuff. smiling smiley

Melissa

Date: May 14, 2010 02:38PM

[www.onetruemedia.com]

Here are some picture I took if anyone would like to see them.

Melissa

Date: May 14, 2010 05:35PM

Thank you for the kind comments. It really means a lot.
I love this forum!

Melissa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 05:36PM by MelissaG.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 14, 2010 06:45PM

Melissa
great pictures too
thanks!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: annie (200.7.38.---)
Date: May 14, 2010 07:19PM

Enjoyed your report and the pictures, Melissa. Nice meeting you at the parade.

Annie

Date: May 15, 2010 06:54AM

Thank you Annie. It was nice meeting you too. I'm sorry we didn't get together for lunch or dinner or even a cocktail. Maybe next time!

Melissa

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2010 09:11AM

Hi, Melissa.....you get around!! You talked about getting bitten by mosquitos at Belair! Reminded me of a funny story (not so funny at the time ) when we stayed there. During the wee hours my g.f. got up to go to the bathroom and while her face was feeling 'weird' decided to look into the mirror. Then the screaming began! She'd been bitten by a spider!! Her face was the size of a basketball and her eye a slit!! Weird....yup, I'd say so. So, I immediately brought her to the hospital. They put her on an IV antihistimine and antibiotic. Poor thing was so upset. Then they gave her some oral antibiotics and antihistimines to take for a couple of days. And told her to ice it down. So, when we returned to our unit my husband and his friend started singing the Rocky theme!! WRONG!! She was a Buffalo cop and could have taken them down, but instead gave them the finger and a piece of her mind and had some Baileys in her coffee!! OMG.....the poor thing had to hide behind a hat for several days. But, the treatment she received at the hospital was awesome for little $. Plus, it started a new trend for breakfast!!

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: ANON (---.muf122.nycm.n54ny05r18.dsl.att.net)
Date: May 20, 2010 11:13AM

Nice report MelissaG and pictures too.
We really like the Belair and what we likes is its away from most everything yet convenient to everything to.
Thanks for the post.
My turn soon.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |