- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
CLUE : where is this?
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2010 05:15PM

Didn't did that since a long time, but this one is interesting.. so anyone can tell where is this , where this picture was taken and when? smoking smiley

copyright©Ph.Milovidoff

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2010 07:06PM by Tabba Khady.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CLUE : where is this?
Posted by: jimandi (---.pbtcomm.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 06:42PM

Little Bay in the 50's ?

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 07:14PM

I don't know and I'm thinking jimandi are probably correct but my guess was going to be about late 50's early 60's in the old, old Marigot harbor market area long before it evolved into what most of us are familiar with today.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2010 07:44PM

I know! I know! smiling smiley

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2010 08:07PM

I think it's Marigot harbor as well.

Date: February 10, 2010 08:22PM

Yes it is... Pat and Georgia, and Barbara as well I assume are right.. but it was not in the 50's or 60's... it was 1987... not so long ago eye rolling smiley
Here bellow is a different angle of the exact same place on the Marigot Market you can see and reconised the little tree with the branch sticking out... ahhhh memories.. those are good! some people today have no idea of what it was then...

copyright©Ph.Milovidoff

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2010 07:07PM by Tabba Khady.

Date: February 10, 2010 10:39PM

Wow. Beautiful picture.

Posted by: mikentara (---.153.5.129.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 11:46AM

Wow!
Awesome photos!

Posted by: photofun (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 02:41PM

I love the dresses and the outfits...is the woman in the middle wearing a tshirt with a playboy bunny on it?? hahaha I love these old photos and love that it is the natural event and not put on!
Thanks!!!

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 03:49PM

I remember when the Marigot Maket looked like this in the 80's. Wish it still did...more fun then. Ah progress.............

Annie

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 05:59PM

Ah, Philippe,

Those of us who are fortunate enough to have visited the island before the rebuilding of Marigot for that infamous Sandra Bullock movie would have had a better shot at remembering this view than those who came afterwards.

We spent many a Saturday morning back in the day wandering through the Marketplace poking through the offerings. It was interesting to see the little fishing boats come in with their colorful catches and to view the fruits and veggies offered. My first experience of an island pineapple (no clue from whence it came) was via this marketplace back in the mid to late 70's.

Another time, I think about in the mid 80's, we were walking the Marketplace with friends on a Saturday morning and saw a butchered pig (hog - perhaps - I don't know the difference) laid out on a table and the owner hacking off big chunks of meat and wrapping it in paper and tying it up with string for those who wanted to make a potential dinner purchase. (Quite truthfully, this grossed me out a bit since I'd never seen anything quite like that before, but I guess it was the island way back then.) And as we stould there checking it all out, we happened to see Frank Perdue (Perdue chicken fame) shaking his head right along with us, but you see, it really was an island marketplace in those days, as opposed to what it's morphed into over time with the current vendors and their trinkets.

It wasn't at all unusual to see the ladies walking away with a chicken for dinner and their basket (a few times seen atop their heads) over-flowing with fruits and veggies in anticipation of a special meal. Those are but a few of those wonderful colorful island experiences that we are so blessed to have our memories of today.

When we first started visiting St. Maarten/St. Martin in the early 70's it was totally out of character to see the island ladies wearing slacks, jeans or shorts (at least in public) so given the benefit of your second photo I might have been a little more accurate with the dating part of your post. By the time we started bringing our girls in the early 80's it became more common.

Two other things that were very common sights back then were the island ladies walking along the streets with their umbrellas open to protect them from the sun, and also to see so many of them out and about during the daytime with their hair done up in big colorful curlers. I always assumed this was done to protect their hairstyles from the humidity of the day but never really knew for sure.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

And OMGoodness - now that I've put it in writing, I sure do hope it really was Sandra Bullock since I'm not much of a movie buff.

Date: February 11, 2010 06:41PM

This is such a wonderful thread. Thank you Philippe for the memories.

I remember the market well. I would shop there with my now 40-year-old daughter sitting in a carrier on my back. Loved talking with the ladies about their fruits and vegetable and I felt like they were my friends. One time my daughter had a scrape on her chin that would not heal. It had to be treated by Dr. Petee (sp?) at the hospital in Marigot and required cleaning and stitches. The doctor kept her overnight in the hospital. During the middle of the night I went to find a nurse and could find none. An elderly man was sitting in the door of his room watching me run up and down looking for someone before he told me 'They go home. Be back tomorrow'. Next morning my daughter and I shared hot tea from a bowl with Laughing Cow cheese and French bread. Even now, as a Mother, she still needs tea, Laughing Cow cheese and French bread when she does not feel well.

Well the next time we went to market my daughter had a huge bandage on her face and none of the ladies would speak to me. They just sucked their teeth. When I finally asked if I had done something wrong, they told me straight forward, 'You let the baby get hurt '! When I explained what happened, word spread fast and I was soon receiving sympathy from all my friends.

Date: February 11, 2010 06:55PM

Thanks to all of you for sharing all those wonderul story and past experience! this is great.. I have a bunch of old pic that I didn't published yet, I will do it time to time grinning smiley, but except maybe one or two which could lead to a "clue search" most of the others are easilly reconisable...
the spelling for the Doctor in those years is "Dr Petit". winking smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: SXMWendell (---.dsl.covlil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 11, 2010 09:27PM

Marigot harbor was my guess too. But not even close on the date. Wonder how many island travelers remember the harbor area before it was filled in. People think parking is bad now.

SXM??? Wendell

Posted by: Neil Rooney (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2010 05:42PM

That's when Le Bar De La Mer WAS on the water!

Just Another Ho Hum Day On D Planet

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |