The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Safety tips.....my view.
Posted by: the blade (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 20, 2010 10:06PM

my wife and i have been visiting SXM every year since 1998. this march is our last trip. what the SXM 'defenders' don't understand is that there appears to be little (if any) crime prevention (on both sides),,,,,both police forces react. Haven't they ever heard of a 'sting'???? I have read posts where tourists go to the french police and are basically ignored. But if you are nude past Pedros - they sure show up!!!!

Tourists beware - YOU are on your own in SXM - the police are NO HELP - on either side. So you have to be on guard at all times....at the beach watching your stuff, locking/or not locking your car, leaving nothing in your car, etc. to ad nauseum (sp?)....that's a vacation? not for me. I'll spend my 2k _ airfare elsewhere next year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: papa_smoke (---.woh.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2010 10:36PM

Now, see folks? THAT's what I am talking about. I see posts like the one by the blade all the time. It IS disconcerting to a "newby".

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2010 08:22AM

Papa...

I don't know the Blade (at least I don't think I do), but I DO know Pat. Pat's post was based on years of experience and gave real examples of the reasons for her views on the island. Blade's, on the other hand, cited no real examples for his or her feelings. I'm not criticizing him or her, but I would tend to place more value on the opinions and statements of someone who gives concrete examples for their views rather than just ranting.

We too visit the island every year, although we have not been visiting for nearly as long as Pat and her family. We just spent three weeks there in November/December, and never once did we feel unsafe. We drive all over the island, frequent different beaches, go out to dinner nearly every night, and thoroughly enjoy ourselves. Sure, we don't ever leave anything in our rental car, we don't wear lots of jewelry or flash wads of cash. Other than the car thing, that's the same way we behave at home, in suburban Richmond, VA.

I wouldn't leave valuables unattended at my beach chair at Virginia Beach; why would I think I could do that in St. Martin? I wouldn't walk down a deserted street at 2 AM in Richmond; why would I think I could do that in St. Martin?

Only you can decide whether or not you feel comfortable enough to spend a vacation in St. Martin. But if you don't base your decision on real information, I'm afraid you'll miss out on a wonderful experience. I'm positive if you went you would love the place as much as the rest of us do, and would start planning your next trip before you even left the island.

Posted by: papa_smoke (---.woh.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2010 11:22AM

GaKaye - I put GREAT stock in Pat's words. Yours, too! Not to downgrade folks like "the blade", who probably have honest concerns, but those TYPE of posts are everywhere. That is why I am basing all decisions on the preponderance of evidence.

I live in Ohio and I simply have no desire to go to Cleveland. Why? The preponderance of evidence. It has a high crime rate, is dirty, and was just rated as America's most "MISERABLE" city. I KNOW there are people there who love the place but I choose not to go.

As far as SXM goes, based on ALL I have read, it appears that there IS a petty crime problem but nothing that is any different than most places. I have been to Kingston, Jamaica and I have been to Inner-city Cincinnati. I figure if I can "make it" in those two places, SXM will be a breeze.

In all honesty, when we were last on SXM, we saw NO evidence of crime and everyone was friendly (except a very rude woman in a French bakery in Marigot (or Grand Case), who decided since she was a local she didn't need to stand in a long line). She bought the LAST creme puff! MY creme puff!! eye rolling smiley Instead, I wound up with a WONDERFUL loaf of bread and some cheese. OUTSTANDING!

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 21, 2010 11:58AM

Georgia and papa,

Thank you both for your faith in my posts. Things can and do happen in SXM and I won't for one minute deny that, but they're the exception and not the rule, IMHO and that's based on my personal experiences over a lot of years and a lot of SXM vacations.

the blade,

I can't help but respond to your post since I'd venture a guess you're including me as one of the 'defenders' you're refering to:

"my wife and i have been visiting SXM every year since 1998. this march is our last trip. what the SXM 'defenders' don't understand is that there appears to be little (if any) crime prevention (on both sides),,,,,both police forces react. Haven't they ever heard of a 'sting'???? I have read posts where tourists go to the french police and are basically ignored. But if you are nude past Pedros - they sure show up!!!!

Tourists beware - YOU are on your own in SXM - the police are NO HELP - on either side. So you have to be on guard at all times....at the beach watching your stuff, locking/or not locking your car, leaving nothing in your car, etc. to ad nauseum (sp?)....that's a vacation? not for me. I'll spend my 2k _ airfare elsewhere next year."

You are absolutely entitled to your concerns and your opinions and viewpoints as expressed in your post. They're real and they're legitimate conerns and they're yours. And you're correct in that the island government hasn't been proactive in dealing with these problems. But at least they've finally caught on and are now trying now on BOTH sides of the island to pick up the pieces.

But what I'm really not getting about your post is that if you are this concerned and upset before you even get there, why not cancel and go somewhere where you're sure you'll have a good time, wherever that is? I know you'll suffer minor financial losses in doing this, but come on, wouldn't it be worth it in the long run to you if the thought of ST. Maarten/St. Martin is this repugnant to you before you even get there?

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I know for a fact, if I was that concerned, I would bite the bullet, accept the loss and just go elsewhere.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2010 12:42PM by pat.

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2010 12:25PM

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up, Pat. Good post and I was wondering the same thing. His trip is not until next month so if he is so concerned then cancel the trip.

Annie

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2010 02:44PM

I think everyone has had their say on this matter for now.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |