The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Island Cell Phones
Posted by: Jersey Mike (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2010 01:39PM

Can anyone advise on Verizon service on the island? Or is there a less expensive way to use a cell phone, like renting a local one? I would like to call back to the USA and call phone to phone while on the island. Ideas? Thanks, Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Island Cell Phones
Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2010 01:58PM

Mike,

I've rented from Sharon, Queen of St. Maarten, and she is awesome to do business with.

Sorry, I don't have an e-mail but I'm betting Barbara or Philippe will and if not, you can always google her.

Her rates are more than reasonable; her phones are good and very easy to use; and she couldn't be any easier to do business with. In some cases, she can even arrange for you to pick up your cell phone through your rental car company.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: sanfilip (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2010 02:19PM

Jersey Mike, here is Sharon's website.........

[queenofsxm.com]

Posted by: visitor (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 09, 2010 02:20PM

sharon's website with all the info you need...she's the best!
[queenofsxm.com]

Posted by: CarolynandWalt (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2010 10:05AM

We now rent from Sharon. She's great! I didn't think to check my regular Verizon phone last week when we were there, but I did check it near the airport in November and there was no service. Before the recent problems, I was always able to get good reception in that area. So...I wouldn't count on Verizon.

Posted by: marie (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 13, 2010 01:42PM

I went to a place yesterday called Scarlet to rent a modeum. their minutes to callthe us are .07 vs sharon @ .35. Haven't tried it yet, however.

Posted by: SXMSharon (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: January 13, 2010 04:04PM

The rate to call to a US landline is $.09 & to a US cell phone is $.18 with Scarlet but you have to have a Telcell phone or Telem landline in order to use their calling cards. I also believe that if you are using them through a resort landline you will be charged the resorts rate on top of the calling card rate. Most resorts charge anywhere from $.25 to $.75 per minute for a local call. My rate (which is the carriers rate) to the US is $.32 & my customers do not have to go & purchase any calling cards & they can just call us for a refill of time.

I have been asked about switching my carrier so that my customers could use the Scarlet calling cards & I will most likely do that once the appeal by Telem has been decided on. Telem is appealing the court decision ordering them to allow Scarlet free access to their landline & cellular systems. I am not going to change all of my phones over & then have the decision thrown out which would make then make Scarlet's service not usable.

My customers know that I have always gone with the best rates & service for them but this is still too much up in the air for me to make such a large committment.

Regards,
Sharon

Posted by: alexis (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2010 06:24AM

I would stay far from Scarlet. Corrupt bunch.

Posted by: Jersey Mike (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2010 11:30PM

just returned from 2 weeks and rented a phone from Sharon. Good deal, good service, phone worked fine. Would recommend to friends who would like to keep in touch while in St Maarten. Thanks, Mike

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |