Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For those of you who care.....
Posted by: RDT (---.lakewoodcc.com)
Date: December 09, 2009 09:42AM

What a sight!
Nice of you to post this.

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.225.103.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2009 10:00AM

Hey Barbara!

Should we care or not?

I'm sure all the merchants, taxi drivers, water taxi owners and politicians care....

If you want a personal view....I could care less. As a "weeker", cruise ships create a lot of traffic...drive up some prices and clog beaches that are usually quiet. A few weeks ago MAHO was so full of ppl. on St. Maarten day that it was sketchy taking pictures...taxis filled the road and congestion ruled. The quads (totally obnoxious that they are) were many and noisier.

From my perspective, it's great to see them sail off into the horizon...traffic returns to normal and stage 2 fun begins...after dark.

With the advent of increased cruise ship traffic scheduling things is more of an issue and downtown is out of the question for many locals and "weekers" during the ship's stay....( IMHO)

Prosperity is good...it comes with a price, and as long as everybody's making a few bucks I don't imagine you'll hear complaints. In our case, if we want a week or so of pristine soltitude on a beach we'll book Vieques or Culebra, but certainly won't eliminate or decrease SXM from our plans for MANY different reasons.

Michele tried a cruise last year and was totally bored...she's not a big eater and felt restricted in her activities...anything interesting cost a bit whereas on SXM many of the things she enjoys are free or $1.00 ice cold at the Chinese grocery.

Only thing I can add is that they provide STUNNING pics...my compliments to Le Jardinier !

Denis

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2009 11:34AM

I totally agree with you Denis
and I am not sure that the merchants will be entirely happy either. We'll see.
the ship promotes st thomas over st maarten, the ship is so full of activities they say people won't even get off at the ports, and if 6000 people do descend on town, it hurts the merchants because the stores are too crowded.
so we will see.
In the meantime, 3 other ships are in too and the traffic is horrendous in town already. and the Oasis of the Seas is not even full.
and of course GEBE is doing its thing too.
jut another normal day in paradise!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: December 09, 2009 11:39AM

and check this out. I just heard this:

Huge traffic jam at the port... ON THE PIER!!!... apparently port decides today of all days to impliment strict security and have tourists both going back to the ship and coming OFF (what???!?!? unheard of!!) to pass thru security scan like at the airport, with shoes off and all... Town is a virtual desert for 4 ships being in port... Everyone stuck in lines searching their belongings and shoes..

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.225.103.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2009 11:46AM

Hey Barbara.....

It's weird...they always manage to shoot themselves in the foot...like promoting shopping upstairs at PJIA for locals....yeah..let's buy a ticket to Bart's so we can shop upstairs! Some grandiose plan to get more work for SHERIFF ?

The story will be all over the cruise forums before OASIS sails!

Denis

Date: December 09, 2009 11:58AM

can't wait to read that LOL

Posted by: RDT (---.lakewoodcc.com)
Date: December 09, 2009 12:11PM

All very valid points. But let's be honest, the over development with no regard towards the very points you make, let alone the serious ecological ramifications, is way beyond the "point of return". The island is overbuilt and yet the building continues, unabated. That's called progress??!!!

Posted by: anyone who cares (12.16.111.---)
Date: December 09, 2009 07:10PM

I call it very sad

Posted by: kathy (---.dhcp.wnch.wa.charter.com)
Date: December 09, 2009 07:21PM

What a great picture. Thanks for posting it.

Posted by: SXMWendell (---.dsl.covlil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2009 08:11PM

I don't know if it will be any different from last high season. On Wed's there were 9 cruise ships in. Course that was the day I definitely avoided P'burg. And we'll have to see if they can fill the Oasis. And SXM needs the port fees for paying for the pier. Time will tell how this plays out.

SXM??? Wendell

Posted by: OtherHalfa (12.16.111.---)
Date: December 11, 2009 01:13AM

A question for Barbara:

I know that merchants in each port have to pay the cruise liner companies something to have them promote their shops to their pax. Just how much are we talking about?

There was a Xmas tree shop off front tree that closed, because she wouldn't pay them and thus couldn't compete. A professor of mine had a biz on St. John and it was the same thing.

Advertising costs money, how much do the liner companies expect to be paid for pushing their shops, lest be forgotten about.

Posted by: Magenta (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: January 13, 2010 07:43AM

Great Picture! thank you for seen us spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: LBI2SXM (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2010 10:20AM

Barbara, So how has it been with that big mammouth in town? Any feedback from vendors, stores etc.? What has it done for traffic? If that ship is full, one cannot imagine! (plus the other 5 that are usually there on Wed.) Good grief!

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |