The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
St. Tropez hotel - Marigot
Posted by: Earl J (---.cpe.mountaincable.net)
Date: December 01, 2009 11:47AM

To Barbara1 or any St. Martin expert - Was there a St. Tropez hotel or resort just outside of Marigot, near either the lagoon or beach that was next door to a liquor store? Friends apparently stayed there almost 30 years ago and I'm sure we saw it on one of our 5 visits to the island.
Trying to settle an argument as another friend insists that the only St. Tropez on the island was and is the one at Orient.

Appreciate a clarification, Regards,

EJBirdie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Tropez hotel - Marigot
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: December 01, 2009 04:12PM

you are right.
There certainly was a St. Tropez Hotel just outside Marigot as you go towards the bridge.
It was called PLM St. Tropez.
You are going going way back on that one! smiling smiley

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2009 04:16PM by Barbara1.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: December 01, 2009 04:33PM

I also can confirm, it was built and owned by the Mallortigues Family, very good friends of mine (they were almost family to me in France, since they took care of me while I was doing my studies and my parents were still in Africa...),they also built and owned "Le Grand St Martin", the whole "Marina Royale", the "Golden Tulip" in French cul de Sac.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Jo (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 12:31PM

Does it still exist? My husband and I stayed there 30 years ago and enjoyed it. We were reminiscing the other day about it as well as the wonderful restaurant we walked to nearly every night for dinner. We cannot remember the name although we both think it might have had a man's name. We both recall that it was on the water but not beach - we believe we sat at a rail on a seawall. He thinks it was a one-level place, I seem to think it was 2 distinct areas - a covered garden area that you walked thru to get to the second open area by the water, which was raised. Oh, please, can you help us? We're talking about taking a "real" vacation, not just time off at home. Thanks!

Date: January 18, 2014 03:19PM

I am not sure which restaurant you are describing, but the way you are describing it, it could have been "Claude, Mini Club", the oldest restaurant in Marigot which was walking distance from the PLM St Tropez.. The Mini club still exist even if it was sold by the original owner who retired few years ago but the PLM St Tropez doesn't exist anymore... It fall apart first, then the building was bought by investors and they made private condos with it. St Martin changed A LOT in the last 30 years,

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 03:20PM by Tabba Khady.

Posted by: Jo (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2014 12:12PM

I don't know about you, but I've changed a lot in the last 30 years too! :-)

Thank you for your kind response. Looking at pictures on tripadvisor, I don't think it was Claude's. Water appears to be a stretch away - we were right on the water (harbor not beach). It was recommended to us by a local (our cab driver, I think) when we asked for a place the locals go to. We weren't looking for "fancy" or the "must-do" restaurant. We were often the only people there when we dined which we didn't understand because it was good food and reasonably priced. So again, thinking it's not Claude's - oldest restaurant would seem to imply strong business. First had 1/2 avocado filled with vinaigrette there which has become one of our favorite dishes - so simple yet heavenly.

Date: January 19, 2014 04:06PM

It's caribbean... don't assume anything similar of what it would be like in the States... It may be not Claude, but as the oldest restaurant in Marigot they started as a simple "get together" table with homemade food, and nicknamed it the "Mini Club" as there was always only few people around, and mostly resident. It became more of a "restaurant" as to "our" standards much later.
Also, don't be mistaken by the position of the restaurant regarding to the water from the picture on trip-advisor... As I stated, marigot changed a lot in 30 years, as you did too.. ;-) (I still great!...LOL) Claude was right on the water until 1992... the waves were breaking bellow the deck of the restaurant. In 1992, the town and our "wonderful" politicians had the genius idea to gain land on ocean and they destroyed Marigot beach, killed ocean front businesses, filled up and extended the land surface area, to make a road and..... parking lot!.. yes.. parking lot on the water, with the most exclusive view....
I don't recall other restaurant or food place with a "man" or "person" name at that time beside Claude, except not on the water... there was a place called "Jean Dupond", but was an upscale type of restaurant and was on the Marina POrt La Royale in Marigot

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: mikentara (67.209.20.---)
Date: January 22, 2014 12:34PM

You are so right, Philippe. I cry today when I think of how Marigot used to be. Perhaps they are thinking of David's Restaurant?

Date: January 23, 2014 06:04AM

David's restaurant?...refresh my memory, it's failing.... do you mean David's Pub?... If so, it wasn't on the water

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Jo (69.242.249.---)
Date: January 23, 2014 02:02PM

Hello, Philippe and Mike(?). Well, I've had additional discussion with my husband. He said we came out of the hotel, turned left and walked past a cemetery to the restaurant. (Your description of what happened to the waterfront sounds appalling.) Another look at Google maps shows Le Mini Club east of the cemetery. So, if PLM St Tropez is Residence Le Pirate or close by, it seems you've hit it! I saw (and was surprised by some of) the postings under the topic "Best and worst areas in St. Martin," so I guess a lot truly has changed or we were just really naive (although I don't think so, coming from Baltimore/Washington area at the time) but we felt safe / had no sense of danger in Marigot or anywhere in St Martin when we were there. We're not Las Vegas types, went to Philipsburg a couple times on our visit because our friends were gamblers and had identified a must-do restaurant there, but otherwise we were happy in Marigot. We also fondly remember walking to a fantastic French candy shop - still lust after those chocolates. So, I guess we just now need to identify a "new" place to stay and schedule a vacation to confirm Le Mini Club and see what's new and try your(?) restaurant, Philippe! smiling smiley

Jo

Posted by: Wendell (75.11.159.---)
Date: January 25, 2014 07:11PM

Yes, there was 1 row of parking then the sea. The front street stopped at Bar de La Mer, had a white tourist info kiosk you could walk by to get to Claudes Miniclub.

SXM??? Wendell

Date: January 26, 2014 06:37AM

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2014 06:40AM by Tabba Khady.

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2014 09:47AM

Marigot, and in my opinion, virtually all of St. Martin/St. Maarten, had a very different flavor thirty years ago. We felt totally comfortable going anywhere on the island and we had virtually no qualms at all about giving our preteen and teen aged daughters full reign of the resort where we stayed. We knew without a doubt they would be safe and the staff would keep an eye on them if a problem arose.

And likewise, we felt totally comfortable traveling to any parts of the island and never worried about deserted beaches or remote areas. Our biggest concerns were usually over potholes or speed bumps that might consume our rental cars.

And then our 'Friendly Island' was discovered by the masses and the times changed. It's still my favorite place in the world to be but it's very different from that wonderful place of thirty years ago (forty in our case) we once knew.

Respectfully,

pat

Date: January 26, 2014 10:56AM

"CLAUDE" Mini Club, would be where the little dock is on teh right of the picture with the white building

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: January 26, 2014 10:59AM

PLM - St TROPEZ

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |