The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Trip Report, for the budget-minded
Posted by: Andy09 (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2009 03:53PM

Fourth visit to SXM earlier this month. Spent a full week at Royal Palm. Took my 18 yr old son. It was his second time on the island.

Here are our impressions, both good & bad:

Unity Car Rental met us at the airport and set us up quickly with an upgraded car. Michael is the best. Unity also got us to the airport lickity-split when we dropped off our car the following Saturday. Craig from Packlight came by the hotel the day after we arrived with a couple beach chairs I had ordered before leaving the states.

Royal Palm put us in a recently renovated 3rd floor, 2 bdrm suite, w/ a beautiful big view of Simpson Bay. I was impressed with the new appliances, large showers, etc. I was a bit disappointed the absence of evening social gatherings around the pool and bar that I fondly remembered when I stayed here in the summer of '05. Karaoke night was fun and brought out a good crowd, but they ended it too soon (10 p.m.), much to the disappointment of those in attendance.

The nice gym at the Royal Palm stays pretty busy. It's complimentary to guests at the hotel, but a lot of locals are members and typically comprise at least half of those working out at any time. The gym's hours are 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. M-Sat. As you might expect, mornings before 11 a.m. are most crowded, though the dinnertime is also popular. Mondays are the most crowded day, likely because the gym is closed on Sunday. My son and I worked out in the free-weight room most mornings around 10:30 a.m. It was still crowded at that time, but we could usually get to the equipment we wanted.

I believe Royal Palm only has wiFi in the lobby area. Consequently, there are a lot of laptops in use in the lobby area at almost all hours. If you don't want to lug your laptop to SXM (or have people looking over your shoulder), you can pay $4 for 15 mins (or $35/wk unlimited) to use the internet computers just outside the lobby. I did this to check email a couple times. They work fine.

You can wash your clothes at the Royal Palm too. $2/wash, $2/dry, 75-cents for soap. They have a change machine in the laundry room.

Orient Beach was a fun hangout and we did para-sailing for the first time. It was wonderful. I was surprised to find such an array of prices for that activity. The first two booths we stopped at wanted $100 -- cash, no credit cards -- for the two of us, for about 10-12 mins in the air. The third booth we stopped at on Orient, "Water Toys", only wanted $60, and for $15 more, they took photos with their water-resistant camera and gave me the roll of film. And they took credit cards! Ate at Baywatch? on the beach. Great, friendly service. Good chicken Caesar salad and ribs. Fun reading all the things customers have brought in and hung on the walls.

The other beaches we visited were wonderful, as always... Baie Rouge, Pinel Island, Dawn Beach, Le Galion, and Mullet Bay. This is the first time I've been to Dawn Beach since the Westin moved in a few yrs back and changed the landscape. Wow... I would never have recognized it. The Westin's version of Dawn Beach is quite nice, but I'm glad I had a chance to experience the old, smaller (less commercial) Dawn Beach. I miss it.

One evening we went to watch the sunset at Baie Rouge. We arrived a little after 5 p.m. and found the parking lot gate had lowered at 5 p.m. and no cars were allowed into the parking area. (Cars are, however, permitted to leave the parking lot anytime they wish.) The gate attendant suggested we park on the side of the road, within his view, and walk to the beach. We did, and enjoyed the sunset there.

The island was noticeably less crowded than previous summers I had been there ('04, '05, '07), but the traffic on the Dutch side was the worst I've ever seen it. Hard to attribute it to any one thing, but I suspect detours from construction on two new turnabouts were the main culprits. Consequently, it took considerably longer to get back to Simpson Bay from anywhere on the Eastern side of the island.

On a whim we went on the sunset cruise Thursday night, from the Pelican resort area ($30/person). It turned out to be one of the most enjoyable things we did the entire week. Rum punches and snacks were included, but we mainly enjoyed the ambiance and warm conversation with others on the cruise. Seagulls followed the boat much of the time and added some great photos!

Ate at Bamboo Bernie's new location in Maho. I miss the beautiful beach ambiance they had at their old place. The sushi was good and Mai Tai's were not bad, but dining there is a bit expensive for my preferences. I ordered a sate' appetizer for my "meal", my son had mid-priced entre', and we both had one cocktail each. With tip (already included) our bill was $77! Ouch!

We loved eating at Lee's, as always. The dockside open-air ambiance is great, especially at sunset. Half-price drinks during happy hour and other drink specials all night long. We would eat wonderful grill-cooked fresh fish every night (mahi-mahi and snapper), and our bill, with several cocktails, was typically $50 or less, before tip. The fact we could walk to Lee's from the Royal Palm right across the street was another plus. We enjoyed it so much, we ate there 5 of our 7 nights on the island!

We had a mixed experience at Turtle Pier. We showed up Wednesday night for their Lobster special ($18/lb). The waitress was the same one I've had every time I've gone to Turtle Pier in the past. Very nice, personable lady. We arrived shortly after 5 p.m. to take advantage of Happy Hour, which K-Pasa reported that week was 5-7 p.m. When I asked about Happy Hour, I was surprised our waitress told us it only ran until 6 p.m. and that we had to walk up to the bar to order and pay for happy hour drinks.

There was a young 20-ish girl working the bar. I ordered our drinks, paid for them, and took them back to our table. About 5:30 p.m., my son went back up to the bar and ordered another drink (a white Russian this time), from the same young gal. She didn't know how to make the drink so she had to ask someone. She also didn't know how to make one of the drinks we ordered earlier, even though it was on their menu.

My son offered to pay cash for the white russian, but the bartender girl surprisingly said she would just put it on our food bill. As soon as my son returned to the table and told me this, I was suspicious and asked him if she made a note that it was Happy Hour. He didn't know, but assumed she did. It was 5:35 p.m. and we did not order any more cocktails that night. Oddly, we were still about the only patrons in the whole restaurant.

Our lobster arrived about 5:45 p.m. and I asked the waitress to take some photos of us with our meal, which she did. When we finished our meal an hour later, I asked for the check and noticed my son's drink was not listed at the Happy Hour price. Not a big deal, but decided to get it fixed on the check anyway.

Our waitress took the check to another gentleman who looked like Kenan Thompson from Saturday Night Live. He took it back and spoke with the bartender gal, who told him the drink was not ordered during Happy Hour. I told the waitress I was certain the drink was ordered during Happy Hour, and in fact, the drink was clearly visible in the photo she had taken when our meal arrived at 5:45 p.m.. She again handed the check off to the Kenan Thompson-looking guy who disappeared in the back for a few minutes, then came back to say, the young bartender girl insists the drink was not ordered during Happy Hour so they would not adjust my check.

I was dumbfounded! The bill for our lobster dinner alone was $90, and here they are arguing with a customer about $3 difference in a drink price?! I paid the bill and generously tipped the waitress, but when I handed her the bill back I explained that it's not the money, but the principle. If it had been about the money, I would not have tipped as much as I did. Further I told her that we had planned to come by for breakfast, and possibly a lunch before leaving SXM, but not now. She said she understood, apologized and, shaking her head said "we have new owners, and it's sooooo different now." I suspect the young, unskilled bartender gal may be related to one of the owners.

Other random trip notes...

Almost all bars on SXM have a happy hour every night. Typically it's 5-6 p.m., but there are some that start at 4 p.m., and some that last until 7 p.m., but we seldom ran into those. We usually wrapped up our beach time around 4:30 p.m. so we'd have time to get back to the room, shower up and catch a nearby happy hour before dinner.

Cash improves your ability to barter for souvenirs and merchandise. Many SXM merchants aren't too keen on the fees credit card companies charge so they won't give you as good of a deal if you're paying by credit card. Also, merchants are more likely to give you a $1 = 1 euro rate if you pay with cash.

We did notice the occasional mosquito, usually around the hotel. Often we'd get one in our hotel room. Not a big deal, but you might want to consider bringing repellent.

Food Express in Maho is a small grocery store that has most of the food & drink items you'll need for your visit. There are some other small grocery stores nearby, but it's my observation that you'll pay an average of 10-15% more for your groceries at those places, depending on what you get. The big grocery stores on the island, like Le Grand Marche, have the best prices.

This trip I brought back 15 liters of booze from SXM, and one bottle of champagne. These were divided evenly among three suitcases. I declared all 15 bottles when we arrived back in the states, and was only charged $3 in customs fees. However, two suitcases did not arrive back to us until the next day. When I opened them, I found that two bottles were missing -- a bottle of Malibu Rum and Absolut Ruby Red Vodka. Also a small LED flashlight was missing. There was no odor or damp clothing which would indicate the bottles had opened or broke. I reported the loss to United and they are investigating, and is supposedly sending me a check for the loss. I also reported the loss to the TSA, since they had inspected the bag that had missing items.

I realize there are some reading this who may take offense with some of my observations, generalizations and criticisms. I trust you'll keep in mind, this is just my personal experience and opinion -- you have yours, I have mine. Is this a great country or what! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trip Report, for the budget-minded
Posted by: Jaybird (---.tylrtx.tl.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 25, 2009 04:36PM

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed report. I enjoyed reading it. It's hard to believe someone in the food and beverage industry would not adjust your bill. They will not last long with that attitude.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: August 25, 2009 04:47PM

good, honest trip report

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 25, 2009 06:32PM

Thanks for the wonderfully written trip report. It certainly is appreciated that you wrote the good as well as the not so got to allow others to be aware when they travel. As I read your Turtle Pier experience, I could see in my mind's eye your experience and could feel the frustration you must have gone through, but I have to say that you took it very well and moved on from there. Good for you.

I also don't understand how someone in the F&B industry could have kept up that act, knowing full well that they were in the wrong and could lose good business. I see this alot when I deal with certain businesses on the island and truthfully, I just don't understand the reasoning behind their obstinance but like you, I also move on and in the end I can guarantee you that they lose more for their actions than it was all worth.

As an example, I went to return a defective bath mat to a major hardware store near Philipsburg. The mat was something like $2.50. They refused to take it back and used every idiotic excuse in the book. Their loss. Instead I spent the next $300 at a competitor's store smiling smiley I think this was the only time I actually felt good spending that much money...lol

And so, welcome home and glad you enjoyed your vacation, despite some little setbacks.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: WWII (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 25, 2009 06:45PM

Nice report. Turtle Pier has appeared to have taken a turn for the worse after the ownership change.

Posted by: Norbert (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: August 26, 2009 02:17AM

Loved your trip report! Like Barbara said: honest - very candid and detailed re Turtle Pier... Personally, I don't remember ever having left Bamboo Bernie's without spending 50-60 bucks a person for dinner... 70 for two must be the absolute minimum smiling smiley

Norbert - DineSXM.com

DineSXM - St. Maarten / St. Martin restaurant guide & online reservations.

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.11.---)
Date: August 26, 2009 02:41PM

"I suspect the young, unskilled bartender gal may be related to one of the owners."

She's the daughter. And the whole experience has degenrated to a really low point. The service is so abysmal, we and many we know don't go there anymore.

Thanks so much for the report.

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 26, 2009 02:46PM

Very nice report, Andy.

If you said when you were there I missed it, but do you know if you were on the island before or after the food store at Maho had their problems. I'm just curious as to whether or not it's open on a full scale basis again.

And to the previous poster, I can't agree more, Elaine. Trouble is, for us, anyway, I didn't realize there was another new owner since this has been pretty much our experience over the last 3-4 trips. I swore last April I was done with this place and I don't usually give up easily and we have always so enjoyed breakfast there. But sadly, April was a disaster.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.13.---)
Date: August 27, 2009 11:19AM

Hi Pat,

Food Express in Maho is fully open and operating as usual now.

We also enjoyed a few breakfasts in TP in the past. Never cared much for their other food, or the service ever. The place has sunk to a new low!

Posted by: Tashon (200.7.61.---)
Date: August 27, 2009 03:44PM

This Report about TP is so true, the news owners have no idea how to run a business and they will loose out big time.

I eat at TP one time and they refuse to give me tap water, saying that it came from a system. Would you believe that what said to me by the waitress.

The water no good to drink but it is good for them to wash and cook my food with.
Just because they wanted me to buy bottle water.

I will never visit this restaurant again nor will recommend it to anyone.

Everyone stay away.

Posted by: stu (---.dyndsl.versatel.nl)
Date: August 27, 2009 04:55PM

One thing to add about duty free - I bought a bottle of wine en route to amsterdam via Paris from Princess Juliana duty free. They sealed it in a transparent bag and I duly got on the plane with it in my hand luggage, since I had bought it in departures after security. But when I transferred in Paris to my Amsterdam flight (the whole flight was one return from KLM, operated by Air France) they refused to let me take it through security and suggested I go back outside and check the hand baggage as checked baggage. i explained it would cost more to check the second bag in than the bottle had cost me, and ended up throwing it away.
So even though things are cheap on the island, put them in checked baggage! What was so crazy was I saw the same bottle in Amsterdam last night for ten euro less! My advice is shop before you get to the airport, which is the reverse of almost anywhere else! Had a great time on the island, favourite beach must be Happy Bay!

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 29, 2009 05:15PM

Nice report. Sounds like a great time except for Turtle Pier experience. Very silly of them not to change the price......it could have lost them many more $$$$. Thanks for sharing the good and the bad!thumbs up

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: SXMNorm (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 29, 2009 09:21PM

Thanks for the observations and report with prices. We 'll be at RP in a month.

Posted by: ilovedivi (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2009 04:10PM

John Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As an example, I went to return a defective bath
> mat to a major hardware store near Philipsburg.
> The mat was something like $2.50.

Not sure which is funnier; "a defective bath mat" or wasting an hour or so of vacation time for $2.50.
Classic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2009 04:11PM by ilovedivi.

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 30, 2009 05:15PM

Sorry to burst your bubble although I can see how it would sound absurd for a vacationer like yourself to do this but...

Actually, it wasn't a vacation... smiling smiley We had just closed on our brand new condo and the defective bath mat was a completely useless piece of $ht. I had bought 2 mats... one for each shower. They did not even come close to adhering to the tile floor and made it even more dangerous to shower on. I was returning them while there because I needed to continue shopping for more goodies to spruce up the place. That is why it made me actually happy to go elsewhere to spend a lot more money on more homey stuff.

And so even though it might sound quite funny at first, it was actually something similar to what a person would do at home and that's where I was...my new home away from home... smiling smiley

Oh and PS...the receipt that I brought with me did show that I had already spent over $200 there so it wasn't like I had bought those items only...LOL

And I do believe that my bath mat was about the same price as what the original OP lost on their 1/2 price drink with the noticeable exception that my object of contention would still be in the bathroom and not flushed down the toilet at the end of the evening...LMAO

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2009 05:32PM by John.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |