The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Bringing Back Booze
Posted by: Drewster (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2009 12:03AM

This will be my fourth trip to SXM. The last time was a couple years ago. Coming in on United Airlines from the states. While perusing their website for baggage rules, I noticed they state you can only bring back 5 liters of booze (in checked luggage) per passenger, and the bottles must be stored in a "styrofoam-like insert".

I've always brought back more than 5 liters of booze from SXM, and have always used clothing, towels and such to pad the bottles in my checked luggage. It's never been a problem.

Does anyone know how strictly United enforces their stated "booze rules" for checked luggage?

Thanks!

Re: Bringing Back Booze
Posted by: hofstetter (74.7.170.---)
Date: August 11, 2009 01:18PM

Two families just came back on American. No problem with them so it must be United/

Posted by: Sam (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 18, 2009 11:58AM

Just returned 8/11 with 8 litres (over $200 worth)in a 52 can insulated soft sided wheeled colapsable cooler on US AIR through Charlotte (CLT) ---added insulation ---beach towel---tee's---shorts. Claimed them and paid $14 duty fee)---no problem!

Posted by: JMR (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 22, 2009 02:00PM

Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just returned 8/11 with 8 litres (over $200
> worth)in a 52 can insulated soft sided wheeled
> colapsable cooler on US AIR through Charlotte
> (CLT) ---added insulation ---beach
> towel---tee's---shorts. Claimed them and paid $14
> duty fee)---no problem!
I have been going to the island for 15 yrs. Brought 11 bottles last yr. I take bubble wrap and wrap the bottles and put it in my luggage, it goes under the plane, and no problem, as I haven't had any broken bottles yet.

Posted by: SXMScubaman (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 22, 2009 04:12PM

OP asked about United Airlines policy in particular. Didn't ask about the others. Eac Airline has their own policy and how strictly its enforced is up to each employee doing the checking.

Posted by: Johnt (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 24, 2009 11:09AM

Actually Scuba it is not each airline's rules--it is a FAA rule. That being said you are really only allowed One liter of booze duty free from SXM tho I usually check a box of 6 liters and have never been stopped at customs (box in full view with my luggage)

Posted by: SXMScubaman (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 27, 2009 08:27PM

As I said it's up to who is checking you. It could be an FFA rule but each airline has it posted differently on their sites. Some say its four per checked bag others give a total per passenger. You can bring home as many as you want, depending on the airline, just declare and pay the duty if asked. It doesn't amount to much considering the prices in SXM and what you are saving.

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |