The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

August/September Travel Information 2009
Posted by: Familytrip (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 09, 2009 08:25PM

My family is planning a vacation and are really wanting to go to St. Martin/Saint Maarten. We are just concerned about the weather during August and September times, also one website it said that a lot of shop may be closed during these months? Id love to get some realistic and personal views on theses topics and concerns. HELP PLEASE? Any information would be a HUGE help!

Thanks tons

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: August/September Travel Information 2009
Posted by: ANON (---.muf122.nycm.n54ny05r18.dsl.att.net)
Date: June 10, 2009 08:56AM

FAmily trip, August and September are about smack in the middle of hurricain season which starts in june and ends in November. Will there be one while your there? Probly not. The water temps are wonderful and the airs a little humid but nice. Shops I'm not so sure about but restraunts do sometimes close in September for there annual vacations but not all of them. I've gone in September a few times and the worst I ever sa w was a lot of rain showers at night but usually long after I went to bed. I would say go for it. Good news would be airfairs and hotel and car rents are usually way lower this time of year then any other time and you can usually get some great deals.

Posted by: hofstetter (74.7.170.---)
Date: June 10, 2009 12:01PM

I was there once in late July and the weather was fine. The shopping was great because it was slow and the merchants were begging for sales. Also the prices were down for slow season and some resturant hours were cut.

Enjoy

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2009 12:58PM

I believe that August and September are the two months that a hurricane strike is most likely on St. Maarten. I believe this because someone I know who lives on the island told me that he leaves every year for those two months.

Because of the weather situation during that time, tourism is very low then, and many businesses do closed for a month or more.

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 10, 2009 02:05PM

IMO, August & beginning of Sept are too hot & humid for us.The most popular time frame is during the winter months when temps range in the 70 & 80's and lower humidity.Everyone has their favorite month to be on SXM.Don't worry about businesses being closed because 95% will be open.Have fun.

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2009 05:24PM

I used to go in Sept. but it's really muggy. Many restaurants are closed, too.
However, the water is deliciously warm! thumbs up Sure hurricanes are a consideration but the season actually is from June - November and that hasn't stopped anyone from going. The rates should be better in Sept. It's all about preferences.

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: Familytrip (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 10, 2009 08:18PM

Thanks so much for the responses. Im pretty sure my family will be going in August, so the input has helped. Hoping for a sunny relaxing trip, with restaurants that are open and an over all good experience.

Posted by: JustMe (12.16.111.---)
Date: June 10, 2009 08:38PM

Just you don't mind melting with the heat.

Posted by: Elaine (200.7.62.---)
Date: June 11, 2009 08:23AM

We visited the island for quite a few years in August and LOVED it. The crowds are gone, the shops and restaurants are happy to see you. If anything was closed, it never bothered us because plenty was open. If you get away from the beach areas, it's hot. If we went "to town" we did it early in the day. It's a great time if you are looking for a beach vacation. The water is incredible and the beaches are not crowded. Chance of hurricane is high like anywhere in the Caribbean, so buy trip insurance.

You'll have a great time!

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 09:49AM

Another must do is use PLENTY of SUN SCREEN while on the beach or walking in town.The sun is much stronger in the carib than in the states. I've seen many tourists ruin their trips because they knew better.

Posted by: MelissaG (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 03:00PM

We've visited in august and september and loved both. Yea, it's hurricane season but so what. People on the island know what they're doing. And yes, it's HOT. But then again...where are you and why are you there? I say go for it!!!!!

MelissaG

Melissa

Posted by: richard (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: June 11, 2009 04:15PM

We always go in September for my birthday and have never had a problem with the weather or availabilty of shops or places to eat.Last year we flew around Ike- never had seen a hurricane, and that was about as close as I want to get. Most all the stores were open and just a few of the restaurants were closed. We were looking forward to meeting Philipe and dining at Capt. Oliver's, but they were closed, and we went to Lee's Saturday night before they closed for their vacation. I enjoy the hot weather and warm water. Philipe, will Capt.O's be open in September?

Posted by: Anthony (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 26, 2013 08:52AM

We are planning a trip to st maarten this summer. I am trying very hard through our time share to get a date in june/july, but people are not exchanging. I have a feeling we will be there in August. I have noticed a lot of people complaining of the hot temperature in August, and references to 80 degrees. I am from the east coast where temperatures often get in to the low 100's in the summer. Is there a higher humidity factor? Eighty degrees in August does not sound bad...

Posted by: SXMNorm (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 14, 2013 04:48PM

The temp in SXM is pretty consistent all year long. It's the breeze/wind, humidity that changes. Despite the hurricanes, September seems to have less breeze than February or April. That makes humidity higher or seem higher.
Good Luck on your trade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 04:48PM by SXMNorm.

Posted by: Elaine (---.caribserve.net)
Date: March 15, 2013 11:09AM

We're originally from New England and I can tell you the humidity here on the island is no where near as high as where we came from. You might have a couple of 90 degree days. It does feel hotter when the breeze stops, which it can do during this time.

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |