The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Tagged - E-mail Spam warning
Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 05, 2009 06:38PM

I know this is not typical SXM stuff but today I received a spam e-mail from someone I know, even though they didn't really send it. And I just received another one from someone else just now. Here's the e-mail I just sent out to my friends early this afternoon and so I will post it here as well to let you all know...

"TAGGED"

Just a word of warning because I just received one and verified it before opening…

If you get any e-mails stating that you have been "tagged" by _________ (usually a familiar name) and that they have sent you photos, do not open it up. It will grab all your e-mail addresses (and who knows what else) and send out similar spams blasts to those people. I just received one from a Member of the Club and so I called her first, as I usually don’t get e-mails from her, and she said that she had just opened one up, thinking that it was from another Member. Total spam and very quick, I might add. The e-mails look very professionally done and tempting to open!

Vicki

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2009 06:44PM by John.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tagged - E-mail Spam warning
Posted by: contessa (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2009 08:19AM

Thanks for the warning! We all like a little education!thumbs up

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: June 06, 2009 09:13AM

Vicki - thanks for posting this, I have gotten this 5-6 times, from people I have no clue who they are???? Tagged.com is supposedly a social networking group, but it sounds like they are spamming to get members! I opened one, but wasnt going to put in the info. It seems like a real website, like windows live, linkedin,etc., but just odd that all of a sudden getting the emails!

And - my Norton/Symantec just captured 6 "inforstealer" risks! So It must be from that tagged.com stuff!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2009 09:22AM by kim.

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 06, 2009 09:34AM

I'm trying to get the timing on this one but it seems that once you click on the link and maybe fill in the info they request (not sure if this is required for the spam to start), that is when the spam starts. One of the people, I'll call Jeannie, never e-mails me except when it is work related and so that is why I found this suspicious. I called her and she said that she had just opened up this spam e-mail because she thought it was from one of her friends. Now, because I was in her address book, I received a spam saying it was from her, not more than 1/2 hour after she opened up hers.

With the other spam from Freida, I received my spam mail right after receiving a regular e-mail from her. I e-mailed her back and she said that she had just opened up her spam e-mail and clicked on the link because she thought it also was from her friend.

Because this is not really considered a malicious website (like they say "Social Networking"), I highly doubt that it is pulling vital info but you never know what is happening on the sidelines and better to be careful. If you want to join the site, that's one thing, but to be tricked into joining is a whole different can of "computer worms" and I would never join, just because of this.

By starting on a deceptive note, it just makes one think how deceptive they are on other things.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2009 09:53AM

Vicki,

Thanks for posting this.

I just received one of these 'tagged' e-mails from an aol aquaintance but it was someone I hadn't communicated with in at least a year or two so having read your post I chose to delete. I hope it wasn't a sincere post because I'd feel really bad about that but I'm honestly thinking NOT!

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2009 10:04AM

Vicki, does it say "tagged" in the subject line? I haven't seen any yet, but Verizon has a pretty good internet and network security suite that we have, so hopefully that will catch it on my end.

Date: June 06, 2009 10:04AM

You did the right thing! But now you know that this friend opened up their spam e-mail...eye popping smiley If you want, you can send them an e-mail letting them know what had just happened. The more people that are aware, the better.

And I do remember a line toward the bottom of the spam that did hit a nerve by stating that if you don't click here, it will disappoint "your friend"...hmmmm very bad...very bad...

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: June 06, 2009 10:07AM

Yes...at least with mine, the subject line did say "Tagged". Our spamware at work did catch one so if I do get another, I'll make an image of what it generally looks like and post it. The actual e-mail looks so simple and inviting that I could understand that if it was a friend, why someone would open it up.

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2009 05:46PM

Vicki, I just received one. Of course I didn't open it. I've emailed my friends and warned them about it. Thanks for the 'heads up'!!

smileys with beer Contessa

Date: June 06, 2009 06:53PM

Glad that I could help!

[www.vrbo.com]

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |