The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
no answer on the islands police involvement
Posted by: jewelsnpa7 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 25, 2009 09:47PM

I hope that I don't annoy anyone too much but am really curious as to the measures that are being taken by the islands local police or whatever they are called?

Thanks for any input!

Jewels

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: no answer on the islands police involvement
Posted by: ANON (---.muf122.nycm.n54ny05r18.dsl.att.net)
Date: May 26, 2009 08:08AM

jewelsnpa7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope that I don't annoy anyone too much but am
> really curious as to the measures that are being
> taken by the islands local police or whatever they
> are called?
>
> Thanks for any input!
>
> Jewels

wHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Measures for what? Police are called police. They do the best they can do with the force, training and equipment they have. Your over thinking this trip I'm thinking.

Date: May 27, 2009 03:25PM

measures such as getting a grip on the crime and the thieves- I apprehend shoplifters and deal w the police alot so was just curious that I hadn't heard anything on the local force.

I certainly am not worried, i am astute and aware of my surroundings, and will only wear my engagement ring and 1 simple ring on right hand -simple diamond studs so i will not be standing out-working around the police so much and many military men i gravitate towards making sure of not just my safety but anyone around me saftety! I have a great faux alligator ORANGE shiny purse that I love-it will be staying home as it screamsssss STEAL ME smiling smiley

Promise-no more crime talk!!

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 27, 2009 05:07PM

You can't think of SXM as having the same police force as in the US. You will be in a different country with different laws and type of enforcement.SXM has developed a crime problem just like the other islands, it has been discovered in recent yrs.What exactly do you need to know about law enforcement, it is what it is.Thousands of tourists from around the world enjoy their vacations on SXM without problems.Try and enjoy your trip.

Date: May 28, 2009 12:28PM

I was just curious about whether your local police were taking measures to try and deter-as I said it just comes naturally for me to askyawning smiley

I realize of course, just as in the states that it is virtually impossible for the police to be everywhere and catch all thieves. It is just a shame that for such a beautiful place there is such ugliness and I actually feel for the residents- I can only imagine that the thieves are slighty more irritating than the influx of touristsdrinking smiley

if I lived there I probably would take my own stand and start my own "were not gonna take it anymore" groupmoody smiley

although from my own personal island living-residents hopefully are much less effected.smiling bouncing smiley

Cheers all and ciao-thank to all for the help.

we will be arriving in 9 days so I doubt i will post any further. Although I may when we're there -as I am hoping to buy a little bauble in one of the jewelry stores, but I see that there is quite a bit of info on that alreadyeye popping smiley

Posted by: jimandi (---.pbtcomm.net)
Date: May 28, 2009 07:45PM

Hello jewelsnpa7. I hope you enjoy your visit to this most wonderful Island. I am not sure what comes naturally to you, BUT, we are not the States. We are trying our best to make this a safe Island for you and the the locals as well.

I am in the criminal justice system as well and I sure do not have the answers for you but, traveling to St. Maarten can be more safe than other destinations in the world. As a local, let me tell you a few things that make you stand out as a tourist.

Look At local Women: MOST

Will not have on shorts/short skirts at market or while shopping.

We do not go to the supermarket with swinsuit and cover-up

We do not disturbe other guest at nearby tables during dinner/lunch with loud an boustrias talk.

We do not carry on a full conversation fifteen sun chairs down from where we are sitting.

But most important of all, we greet every shop owner before we demand a item
.[/b]

So, I hope you enjoy this most wonderful Island.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: May 29, 2009 07:35AM

ROFLMAO !!!...smoking smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 29, 2009 09:32AM

Posted by: annie (68.84.247.---)
Date: May 29, 2009 10:06AM

Me, too!>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<

Annie

Date: May 29, 2009 12:23PM

OMGosh Jimandi-this is such valuable info and I see that members of the forum are enjoying it even more than I!! cool smiley >grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<

Thank you so much for your kind regard!!smiling smiley

Good thing I always give a cordial greeting in whatever store/restaurant/establishment I enter.hot smiley

Better sign off as I am having too much fun with the charactersspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

P.S. I intend to post a maahhhvelous review for Philippe to make up for those who like nothing better in life than to complain smoking smiley

As to the boistrous remark I really am going to stick w/my 3 rum punch minimumdrinking smiley

(sorry had to get two more smileys out of my system)

ciao all

Posted by: irina (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 29, 2009 12:58PM

Excellent Jimandi!
Cheers
irinasmileys with beer

Posted by: Norbert (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: May 29, 2009 04:31PM

There should be a vote / kudos / favorite button, just for this post smiling smiley

Brilliant!

Norbert

DineSXM - St. Maarten / St. Martin restaurant guide & online reservations.

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 29, 2009 08:40PM

While I am not guilty of most of these tourist behaviours, I do have a question about two: First, you don't wear shorts when you go shopping? Are shorts considered inappropriate attire in such a warm climate? And second, when stopping by the grocery store on the way home from the beach, it is not appropriate to shop in your beach coverup? In a beach town, this is very commonplace here in the US, so we would not be aware that it's not appropriate there.

I, like many visitors to your island, do not wish to offend, but do not know about these customs which are so different from ours. It would be helpful to have them explained to us, as opposed to being laughed at for being uninformed.

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2009 08:58PM

Awe, c'mon, GaKaye,

You know I love you, girl, but you have to lighten up on this - they weren't laughing at you specifically - you're too nice a person to have that happen to you. But it's been said time and time again that certain things are just not approved of by the islanders. I know I've said many of them myself on a lot of different occasions. It's the respect thing - and we all see this differently, but somethings we just have to learn through observation and/or longevity.

But yes, it has always been considered 'inappropriate' to do certain things in St. Maarten that we would normally do at home. Wearing beach attire 'in town' has always been a sore point with many of the island ladies and I've heard more than one complain about the American habit of walking into a store and with nary a greeting at all, launch right into whatever they want to say. Big no no's, both. Many of the older islanders are still disapproving of the topless beach attire, too, and take grave offense at total nudity even though it's accepted by many as well.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2009 10:23PM by pat.

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 30, 2009 08:14AM

Pat, my question really was a serious one, although I have to admit I don't appreciate being laughed at, and since I am guilty of two of these behaviors, then yes, they were laughing at me.

I certainly don't behave in a boistrous manner in a restaurant, and those who do annoy me here in the states as well. It always amazes me how loudly people talk in restaurants, sometimes if there's only two people at the table. And no carrying on conversations 15 chairs down. And I always greet the proprietors of stores, bars, and restaurants when I enter.

I do, however, wear shorts to the store, and had no idea this was inappropriate. Since I don't bring long pants with me to St. Martin, I'm not sure this is a behavior I'm going to change, but I surely will look around more next time I'm there to observe what the local population is wearing. I'm also guilty of stopping in the Grand Marche on my way home from the beach in my beach coverup. With the traffic as it is, it's very time consuming to go all the way back to the room to change clothes and then go back out for a couple of items when the store is right on the way. And since I can't bring a change of clothes and leave them in my car at the beach...

In my lifetime I have traveled all over the world, and have learned how important it is to be respectful of the customs of the countries I'm visiting. I may not always succeed, but I certainly try.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |