The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Check-in at Princess Julianna airport
Posted by: Marguerite (---.gtwy.uscourts.gov)
Date: May 11, 2009 01:16PM

This year we're trying carry-on w/no luggage to check - We're travelling on Continental. I'm not sure if the airport has kiosks where we can print our boarding passes for the flight home & if so, what's the usual time on security line before boarding? Unfortunately, we can't stay longer than a week this time & so will be heading home on saturday, but at least it's not high season. Thanks for any info.cool smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Check-in at Princess Julianna airport
Posted by: MichaelD (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: May 11, 2009 01:33PM

No kiosks at the airport. We left a week ago and for the flight to EWR at 1pm we were there at 1030 and there was a huge line. You have to go thru passport control first and then go thru security...I believe it took us an 45 mins.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 11, 2009 01:40PM

my friend went back from here in April via Continental and she was able to print her boarding pass online a day or two before her return flight.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: May 11, 2009 04:10PM

Thank you for your responses - Barbara, I will see if the Towers will let us print our boarding passes the day before; alternatively, can you recommend a internet cafe where I might be able to do so? If we have our boarding passes & only carry-on, can we not proceed to security? MichaelD, I'm not sure what passport control is? We're also flying in & out of EWR - thanks again. cool smiley

Posted by: irina (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 11, 2009 04:40PM

You can print your boarding pass 24 hours prior to flight.
There are many places where you can print them out if Towers doesn't accomodate you. Though I suspect they have a computer and printer for their guests.
Maybe Kim or Pat will let us know!
Cheers
irina

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 11, 2009 04:48PM

No one can by-pass passport control. The booths are located up the escalator before you even get to the security checkpoint. There are 2 booths with 2 windows each with only 2 or 3 people manning the passport check computers most times. Envision what you go through as you come in with immigration and then multiply this by 5 or more with lines snaking around until you reach the escalator. Maybe during the week it might be better but anyone traveling during the week should not assume anything. On another board I had mentioned that we were on-line for 45 minutes and all I got back was..."it's not a problem, you won't be long"...arggghhhh!

Thank you Michael for verifying that it does take time and no one should leave boarding until the last minute.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: CarolynandWalt (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 11, 2009 05:53PM

You can print boarding passes at the Mailbox in Simpson Bay. The problem lately has not been checking in and getting boarding passes, but rather when they are checking passports at the top of the stairs. Took us 45 minutes on March 22. There are two lines. We got in the one that only had one person working. The other line had two people and moved much more quickly. We didn't notice that until we were half way through! I should wear a sign that says "Don't follow me, I get in slow lines!" Happens every time!

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 11, 2009 06:07PM

irina Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can print your boarding pass 24 hours prior to
> flight.
> There are many places where you can print them out
> if Towers doesn't accomodate you. Though I
> suspect they have a computer and printer for their
> guests.
> Maybe Kim or Pat will let us know!
> Cheers
> irina

Irina and Marguerite,

The Towers definitely has printers but in all honesty, since I only fly American (so far....) and AA won't let you preprint your International boarding passes so far, I've never been inclined to ask at The Towers about preprinting them.

I'm sure if they can, they will but just in case, make note of CarolynandWalts response, since it may come in handy.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 11, 2009 06:10PM

CarolynandWalt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I
> should wear a sign that says "Don't follow me, I
> get in slow lines!" Happens every time!

CarolynandWalt,

And here I thought you were talking about me, since that is always my personal experience!! and sadly, it's not limited to only on SXM but about every line I ever need to stand in.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: jaf613 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2009 11:17AM

We flew Continentalfrom smx to ewr on May 9th with no bags to check in. We arrived at the airport about 10:30 am for a 1:05 pm flight and had absolutely no problem. The line at the check in counter was very manageable. Three attendants were checking in passengers. We had time for coffee before we proceeded upstairs.

We had to show boarding passes and passports at the bottom of the stairs before proceeding to security. We had no problems with delays getting through security except be aware that they will confiscate manicure scissors, no matter what size. Both we and our friends had small three inch manicure scissors and they took them at security.

Date: May 12, 2009 01:06PM

Thank you all very much for taking the time to answer (Pat, thanks - if Rochelle is around I'm sure she'll print the passes out for us) - Even though we'll probably print out boarding passes, we know to get to the airport at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours before - I understand now about the passport checking line as we experienced something very similar in the Bahamas - I'm glad to hear that May 9th was a bit better as it's now low season, but of course, travelling on a saturday we'll expect a delay.

Now I can put all thoughts of returning home out of mind & focus on getting to SXM & just enjoying our all too brief time there! Thank you all very much again - I always say the best of people love SXM! smiling smiley

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |