Current Page: 1 of 2
who remembers this?
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: April 28, 2009 10:40AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: who remembers this?
Posted by: jimandi (---.pbtcomm.net)
Date: April 28, 2009 04:32PM

I do. Went there to call family at Christmas. We gave them the phone number, and when they called us, we all squashed into a little green booth so we could talk. Payed on our way out. Barbara, you are so good for my soul.

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 28, 2009 06:21PM

WOW!!! Lands Radio and those wonderful funny ladies that handled the long distance calls. Two paper cups and a long string sounded better than the old long distance system. HaHa Remember when they would breakin during your call and tell you how many minutes you were talking.We used to wait hrs for them to return with our long distance connection.Those were the DAYS when time didn't matter. There was nothing you could do to make service faster.Great picture.

Date: April 28, 2009 06:29PM

Barbara, Wasn't there a large dish somewhere close by too.I am pretty sure I recall seeing a Micrwave or whatever dish somewhere.

Posted by: .Bruce (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 07:58PM

wait thats not Bob crossing the street ...lol

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 29, 2009 08:05PM

I think that's a Mini-Club menu in his hand!!winking smiley

Posted by: andrea (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 29, 2009 11:00PM

Absolutely!!! Great pic, B!! I remember waiting in line to be the next ones to get in the booth for a phone call back home to my grandparents.

Cell phones, WiFi, texting? LMAO..... can any of you even phathom the SXM days of not only none of that, but no regular phones either? Drive to town to make a call!!! Need to meet someone..... you agree on where/when the last time you saw them. We all decided where we would all meet up the next night either the night before during our goodbyes, or on the beach in the afternoon. If you didn't meet up, no worries. You would certainly see each other on the road in passing the next day. Yep, stop, chat and make new plans! Oh, the good ole days! grinning smiley

peace smiling smiley

Date: April 30, 2009 10:32AM

Bruce & Gakaye, Good one I owe both of you!!!Don't laugh until you try the Mini Club, right Barbara!Actually that must have been a bill from La Vie en Rose he's holding. HaHaHaHa....Andrea, Don't forget traveling to the restaurants and signing the reservation book because they didn't have phone service.I also remember being stopped behind cars and watching the drivers have conversations with other drivers or someone walking along the rds.Not anymore.

Date: April 30, 2009 01:54PM

oh yea, that stopping and having conversations still happens..believe me! LOL

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: .Bruce (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2009 07:33PM

i wish i could go back in time and visit the island in those days , must have been nice & simple back then

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 30, 2009 07:55PM

Barbara,

I remember our very first St. Maarten trip in '73 and calling home to check in with the sitter and our girls. We found it was sometimes easier and faster to make the trek into P'berg to do this 'back in the day' than it was to wait in your suite for the operator to ring you back to tell you they finally had your call. How many times did we wait it out only to call them back after an hour or so and have them tell us, "...sorry we weren't able to get through....what was that number again?" and then you would start the wait all over again.

We were ecstatic when they finally installed an AT & T direct phone at Mullet Bay Resort and I believe another one at the airport.

The days were simpler then for sure, but trust me on this, not everythingthen was better....

Respectfully,
pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Date: April 30, 2009 09:05PM

I know the old Lands Radio system wasn't the most modern in those DAYS. We enjoyed the carefree no rush feeling of the island phone system and the entire island in general.The pace was slow and nothing could be done in a hurry.Remember the Oyster Pond Hotel didn't have phones in the rooms or A/C. During the early 90's our friends used to stay at the Grand Case Motel and no phones in the rooms. Guests used the mgrs phone in the office if needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2009 09:13PM by BobP.

Posted by: John T (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 08:06PM

Judging from the cars is that picture from around '60?

Date: May 06, 2009 08:33AM

early 60's.. maybe 63 or 64

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Grumpy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 06, 2009 08:03PM

JohnT said;"Judging from the cars is that picture from around '60?"
The only car I am sure is a 1956 CHevy, so you could be correct.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |