The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Chlorine vs Salt
Posted by: .Bruce (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 01:17PM

Hi Vicki ..seems like you found out your answers , [www.poolsupply4less.com] Here is the the unit we use and direct you to a site that sells it cheaper than i have found anywhere else . first determine the size(gallons) of your pool ,Most salt generators come in different sizes depending on gallons of water , very easy to install and then you just dump raw salt right into the pool , normally a few hunderd pounds .. makes pool care a breeze

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2009 01:38PM by .Bruce.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 01:51PM

Thanks so much Bruce. I'll definitely check this out. My pool is not large at all when looking at the average size built in so the maintenance should be a snap (9000 gallons).

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: .Bruce (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 02:06PM

[www.aquapoolstore.com]
this is the one you would need , you will find a salt water pool makes your skin softer, swim wear don't bleach out ,hair dyes not affected , and the water feels much better . downside is salt can be corrosive so washing off the deck after lots of usage is a good idea

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2009 04:11PM by .Bruce.

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 02:26PM

Concrete deck so I will assume no worries. I rinse it off occasionally anyway so I will just be a little more aware. No wood anywhere except on the trees... I'll just keep my eye on anything metal that may need rinsing like chairs and tables. Thanks so much for the link.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2009 02:30PM by John.

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 06, 2009 02:26PM

Vicki, my son has a salt pool. I'd never heard of this! It feels so much better on your skin and doesn't smell, 'pool stanky', as my grandsons used to say!!thumbs up

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: Ina (209.107.245.---)
Date: August 02, 2011 11:04AM

FYI. I hear great reviews about salt vs chlorine, I have chlorine, but have swam in salt. The water feels nice, but tastes like the ocean. However, beware if you have an above ground or metal wall pool. Salt is now cause to void warranties as the salt causes the metal pool walls to rust out very quickly. Last year salt was being promoted for ALL pool types (at least at our our local pool retailer), but this year they are specifically warning against it if you have a metal walled pool because the warranties are now specifically void if using one. As for your dog drinking it intentionally, I would guess he wouldn't because the taste is bad.

Posted by: double-D (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: August 03, 2011 11:22AM

John...everyone I know that changed.....are VERY happy!!!

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2011 12:41PM

Ok, I need to do something abotu my chlorine pool NOW!
what am I waiting for? confused smiley

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Elaine (---.caribserve.net)
Date: August 03, 2011 04:37PM

B - just empty it and the rain will fill it by the end of the week!

Date: August 03, 2011 05:16PM

Elaine, it is overflowing right now... needs to be emptied LOL

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 03, 2011 05:47PM

B,

Back to the subject of salt water pools, if you haven't already made the change and haven't spoken to her, talk to Kim. Ken changed theirs over about a year or two ago and as far as I know, they love it.

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: photofun (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2011 08:39PM

Barbara, Vicki and others interested in salt,
here in Maryland we have a pool we switched from Chlorine to Salt a couple of years ago, it was the best thing I ever did. now we have an in ground concrete pool and we didn't have to empty it.

The pool company installed a "cell" and put in this box thing that monitors the Minerals... it was a little expensive in the beginning but has paid for itself quickly. Every summer I had to put in tons of burn out when the summer temps rose high and either too much rain or not enough.

Worth every penny and I love it...makes me think of SXM everyday when I float around!!!

Lynne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 04:51PM by photofun.

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: August 04, 2011 11:58PM

Did you make the switch? We did it, costed about 2k, paid someone, we love it, dogs love it! Skin feels great when you get out, and no panic for cholrine! For the past three summers, have never had the pool "change" overnight for no explained reason!

Date: August 05, 2011 09:15AM

so what's involved in the change over? did you have to empty the pool, Kim?

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: August 05, 2011 01:51PM

I will ask ken later, but they came and just out some thing on tthe filter, and added salt to it? We didnt have to dump the water. Will find out more. For you. If you dont hear back, give me a nudge just back from therapy and double medicated, it hurts!!! So i may forget!

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |