The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Chlorine vs Salt
Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 07:26AM

I know this is off topic for SXM but wondering if anyone has done the conversion from chlorine to salt in their pools and whether it was worth the expense. My small dog drinks and eats everything in his path and laps up the chlorine whenever he jumps in the pool. He just went through pancreatitis and so I am looking to avoid any new vet bills this summer. Thanks for any input. And thanks to Philippe and Todd for offering their help on FaceBook! Much appreciated. Don't really want to post anything on the other site anymore.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chlorine vs Salt
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2009 09:12AM

I have a chlorine pool and have chairs laying all over the steps so the dog cannot get in the pool.
(luckily he only uses the steps and does not jump over the sides.)
People really can't get in either unfortunately.

The dog, when he does get in, doesn't drink the water but obviously some gets in his mouth, and sometimes makes him sick. We always have to bathe him too so the chlorine doesn't burn his skin.

How do you convert to salt?
I have no idea . sorry I can't be of more help but I understand your concerns.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: .Bruce (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 09:30AM

Pm me and we can chat about it , i installed salt generators on 80% of my pool customers pools in the last 5 years ......

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 09:32AM

There is a new filtering system that actually uses salt to convert into chlorine but it supposedly does it in such a gentle and accurate way that there is very little chance for overkill with the chlorine.

My little one actually jumps right in (or falls in since he's the clutziest dog I have ever had). He is only allowed in the back yard with a life preserver on now because of this. He fell in twice when he was a puppy and I have the vet bills to prove it.. sad smiley Luckily I was there both times to fish him out.

It's in-ground and even when he runs around the edge, he sometimes slips and in he goes. Those chairs would never stop him because he's so little and would easily jump on them, stick his nose down to sniff and probably just fall right in...lmao....

Once in, he laps up the water as he swims around. But I don't want to restrict him either since that is why we have a fenced in yard. I'm really hoping that someone chimes in and can tell me if this salt system provides a more natural water and at least somewhat safer for all of us.

Vicki

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: kim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 10:00AM

Vicki - my husband is talking about doing the same thing. He was worked on a few of them and really like it. Not sure what the costs will be, I bet it won't be pretty, but he seems to think it will be worth it??

Date: March 28, 2009 11:31AM

Thanks Kim. I do hope it is a better process because truthfully, the vet bills have been off the wall lately and any more will just break the bank! grinning smiley

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: ilovedivi (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 01:16PM

We've had a salt generator for 5 years. Love it. Does away with 90% of chemicals that you need for traditional chlorine pool. Best part is the way the water "feels". When you get out, you don't have that chlorine smell/film on you.

Date: March 28, 2009 01:33PM

where does one buy these salt generators and how much do they cost? and what is the maintenance?

Date: March 28, 2009 01:43PM

We bought our/had it installed by Pinch a Penny. We have a fairly large pool (36x16) and I think it was around $1000 give or take a little. There is no maintenance, that's the beauty. Once every 4-6 months or so we throw a 60 lb. bag of salt in the pool.

Date: March 28, 2009 02:48PM

Thank you soooo much ilovedivi!!!! Truly appreciated...looks like I'm gonna go that route. Just curious but during the winter months (cold by us) is there something that needs to be done to protect the components?

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: March 28, 2009 03:55PM

There really aren't a lot of "components". Electric control panel about 3/4 the size of a breaker box. We get in the 20's sometime, and never gave it a thought. No problems.
It's great.

Date: March 28, 2009 04:03PM

Fantastic! I just placed a call to my pool guy to see what the damage will be to set this up. I'll let Barbara know what I get as an estimated cost with installation and I'll also ask him if the components can be bought here and easily installed elsewhere and how much that would be.

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: March 28, 2009 04:34PM

Thanks Vicki
I am looking forward to seeing how this works and what it costs

Posted by: Clem (200.7.62.---)
Date: March 28, 2009 05:13PM

I converted my pool from chlorine to salt a couple years ago. The payback could take quit a few year if you hire someone to do this. I did it myself and I did it for around $1000.00. I love it. Never add chlorine, just turn a knob now and then. It's peace of mind. No headaches putting and testing the chlorine. The pool gives you a silky feeling, you will tan better and it sparkles. It was well worth it.
Clem

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 05:25PM

Fantastic news. Not that I didn't believe ilovedivi, but getting even more feedback just puts the icing on the cake.

[www.vrbo.com]

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |