- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Trip report
Posted by: spc5534 (---.rev.dls.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 01:01PM

Just returned to the states 3/24, we enjoyed our trip tremendously as usual.
I was told there was a problem with the regular vendor of ribs to the island and a shipment was delayed in arrival. They definitely didn't seem as good with the exception of Mr. Busby's, which were as expected. The shipment was due to arrive sometime on 3/20.

We ate at the new 3 Palms restaurant and were very very disappointed. They substituted chicken wings for the chicken breast because they ran out, without even asking, substitute spaghetti for fettuccine, the sauce was weak and the pasta over cooked, one in our party ordered the veggie lasagna which turned out to be lost and lots of onions on the bottom, pasta and weak sauce (overcooked) in the middle and burnt cheese crust on top. I ordered the creole snapper which was way over cooked to a dry point with the creole rub on top so dry you needed to take water with each bite. The service was excellent, but unfortunately could not compensate for the lack of quality. They really need a chef that knows what their doing!! The decor and location couldn't be better, but that alone will not help them to succeed...the restaurant was not busy, only about three tables filled while we were there at about 8:00 PM.

Sorry to see Le Bec Fin closed, it was one of my favorites and had a souffle to die for. Maybe their chef's can hook-up with the 3 Palms!!

So

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trip report
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2009 01:44PM

you were disappointed with 3 Palms?
man, that restaurant is getting rave reviews on TTOL.
go figure!
Thanks for the trip report!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2009 02:37PM

Everything is always subjective, and I learned that in restaurant business like in most of any other businesses you cannot make everybody happy, and most of the time, what someone will like, someone else will dislike. That's why in general I never base my opinion on reviews, but on my own experience, since it also happened to me to be VERY disapointed in a top choice place with the best reviews and rating, and be positively surprised in place which had bad, poor or no reveiws at all. I also , in general give a second chance to the place, since every restaurant can have a night "off" for any reason (chef being absent or on sick leave, problem of delivery, etc...)
Also when a place is highly rate, people put very high expectation, and sometime are disapointed that there expectation weren't satisfied.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 26, 2009 03:23PM

Your assumptions are, of course, absolutely correct Philippe and being that the island is so small, having the head Chef out can be a disaster. Usually many restaurants cannot afford a Sous Chef as a back-up so the quality and style of food can go from Excellent to Horrible in a matter of 1 day. I'm so glad that the the poster did value the service and mentioned it in the report. I tend to believe those people that give ratings to all areas of their experience. I hope that the poster mentioned this to the manager. Sometimes there is nothing they can do at the time but by knowing this valuable info will give them the head's up to watch the Chef du jour much more carefully.

As far as rave reviews on the other site, I learned a long time ago to ignore most of them. I know pretty much who are the honest reviewers and stick by their writings and in all cases, they were right.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: irina (---.tlatechnologies.com)
Date: March 27, 2009 11:02AM

Regardless, substitution of chicken wings for chicken breast without notifying the diner is absolutely a no no.
I too am glad the OP mentioned that service was good.
I too would give them a second try.
Cheers
irina

Posted by: SXMWendell (---.dsl.covlil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 27, 2009 09:58PM

Tried to get ribs at Lidos the Mon after Regatta and they had none. They said there was none on the island. So we did the chicken instead, it was great. I just try to remember it is an island and you just have to get on island time.

SXM??? Wendell

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2009 09:14AM

Just wait!
Carnival is coming up the end of April.
The island soon will be out of ribs and chicken legs because all the booths in Festival Village will be cooking up a storm!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Zebulon (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 11:42AM

Barbara1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you were disappointed with 3 Palms?
> man, that restaurant is getting rave reviews on
> TTOL.
> go figure!
> Thanks for the trip report!

Figure = Sponser

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 01:11PM

You have that right Zebulon! You don't know how much I wish that more people would recognize this site. The answers and reviews that are posted here are almost always right on the money without the thought that the poster was being swayed or threatened to follow the "crowd". The moderators Barbara and Philippe are fair as well as extremely knowledgeable of the island too which makes it even better.

If only...

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: irina (---.tlatechnologies.com)
Date: March 29, 2009 04:49PM

Yes Vicki and these moderators actually LIVE there, as opposed to some of those other mods.

i

Posted by: johnt (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 09:06AM

SXMWendell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tried to get ribs at Lidos the Mon after Regatta
> and they had none. They said there was none on the
> island. So we did the chicken instead, it was
> great. I just try to remember it is an island and
> you just have to get on island time.
>
> SXM??? Wendell

guess we get lucky-we are there when carnival first starts so never have a problem getting ribs anywhere--especially getting there right after Good Friday when a lot of peopl;e don't eat meat

Posted by: Thankful (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2009 02:21PM

Yes, moderators much better here than the team of Moe, Larry and Curley on the other board.

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 04, 2009 08:04AM

I agree! Barbara and Phillipe are truly the island representatives, extroardinaire!! But, this forum is very different from the others. There's a need for all of them, regardless of their politics. I enjoy them all for different reasons.
Now, back to Three Palms. Any restaurant can have an off night, been there are few times. But, sometimes we have to question where the reviews are coming from.....some people are foodies and others just eat because they have to. And LOTS only talk about the booze. I'm a foodie and mighty proud of it!>grinning smiley<

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: WOW (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2009 07:22PM

And some base their reviews on potential freebies.

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 04, 2009 08:41PM

I couldn't agree more on that one. My reviews have always been based on honesty and experience and not based on who owns the place or who works there, nor what I will get in return and so when I read a review from people such as that, all I see are typed dollar signs rather than words.

[www.vrbo.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |