The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
It's not only SXM who has problems with crime!
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2009 05:25PM

Vieques is having serious problems too.
I was really sorry to read this
[stormcarib.com]

Update

* Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 10:54:33 -0400

.... But we now are in a position that affects everyone here. Armed men are entering businesses holding locals and tourist alike at gun point.It does not matter whether it is noon or midnight. This is not a one time thing, this is weekly. Or should I say daily.

Old man Duffy, who gave the Mommas and Pappas their break in the Virgin Islands had to close his Chez Shack restaurant the other night because his chef refused to live here longer because of crime. His son Mike lost 2 wonderful people the same day at his restaurant on the Malecon. No one wants to live here in fear.

Al’s Mar Azul was robbed …I will not try to describe what happened inside. Suffice to say 24 people were inside, Al was pistol whipped, bartenders were on their knees as residents and tourists did not know whether they would live or die. They left with about 1k but they had plans for much more. Sawed off shotguns. Think everyone that reads this. A sawed off shotgun pointing in your face?

We need you to help to sign a petition to ask the new Gov to step up to the bat and help us.

I am without words at this point to ask all of you to sign this. Please sign it and send it to everyone in your email list.

If we get enough signatures maybe we will get some relief from this terror.

Please help Vieques.

[www.ipetitions.com]

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2009 05:26PM by Barbara1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It's not only SXM who has problems with crime!
Posted by: BIGDENX (---.48.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2009 06:34PM

Hey Barb!

This is sad to hear. We have visited a number of times in the last 2 years and even had thoughts of buying a small place. The island is beautiful and DID have a reputation for low crime.

There is a good police presence day and night, locals would leave their doors open, no worries on deserted pristine beaches.

Vieques is about the same size as SXM. There are far fewer people and no commercial development to speak of.

It is quite easy to control who comes and goes to Vieques; perhaps this will make it easier to catch the bad guys and return that island to a small slice of Spanish Virgin Islands Paradise.

Denis

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 07:16PM

Barbara,

Thank you for posting.

We, too, have visited on Vieques and have multiple friends who both live and own homes on the island, as well as friends who visit routinely.

I would have to disagree just a bit with Denis, though since even as far back as our last trip 8-9 years ago there was a major problem with young thieves stealing belongings from open parked cars and unattended beach belongings but to hear this news is truly sad. From the sounds of things, the young beach thieves we actually saw in action on one of the military beaches have grown up and moved on to bigger and more dangerous crimes. And our friends had given up trying to keep a TV in their beautiful beachfront home because even with unbelievable deterents in place, their home was burgled numerous times. And along with witnessing a debacle on the beach, we also watched one afternoon while young people managed to scale a fifteen foot wall and steal into the other-wise enclosed and completely gated property next door to where we stayed. We called the Vieques police and told them what was happening but they were not very concerned and as far as we could tell, they never did show up to investigate. But let me reiterate, these were kids - just as we witnessed on the beach, and after they played in the private beachfront pool on the terrace of the home next door, they disappeared the same way they came - down the wall and off they went.

This is truly sad to hear but we greatly appreciate your heads up.

And Denis, as always - gorgeous photos. Vieques is/was a gorgeous unspoiled and underdeveloped island. This is truly very sad news as I know you will agree. It's one of those places on our really short list that we hoped to revisit one of these days.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2009 07:27PM by pat.

Date: March 22, 2009 07:29PM

I have never visited Vieques. It looks beautiful. I was sad to hear of the crime because I know the island is small and not so developed..
I guess I had a fantasy it was one of those places still relatively untouched.

Date: March 22, 2009 07:52PM

Hey Pat!

We too have heard the stories of car theft and beach belongings stolen. Still we had no qualms about visiting all the beaches, even the more remote on the range. As in SXM we overlook this form of crime as it seems to have always been an issue.

What perturbs and drives fear into me are the reports of gunplay. Hostage taking, armed robberies, shootings and the like seem to have escalated on many islands. There is no way you can plan your day or behaviour to adjust for those events save not being there in the first place.

I do feel the Police won't turn a deaf ear to that type of criminality and will get it under control. There is a strong resolute community of retirees on Vieques who will certainly pressure the Govt. to control the crime. Combined with the FBI and other American law enforcement agencies, Vieques police may have a better chance combating gun crime than other islands will.

Denis

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 22, 2009 10:50PM

Barbara and Denis,

Since I read this initial post earlier this evening, I've been trying to reach one of the families I was speaking of who actually winter in Vieques every year. I've spoken to their kids and even though they were in touch with their parents as late as yesterday, nothing of his nature was mentioned, and strangely enough, the parents live within walking distance of Mar Azul and are quite friendly with the owner, Al and are also quite friendly and familiar with Duffy and his Chez Shack. If I'm able to get any additional information I will certainly let you all know.

And Denis, like you, we fell in love with this island and roamed at our leisure from one end to the other, aware of the petty thievery but totally unconcerned about any other issues that hadn't even crossed our mind. We enjoyed Sun Bay and all the military beaches as well as our trip to the bioluminescent bay there. Vieques truly is God's little corner of the earth IMO. And also, as you suggest Denis, I'm equally hopeful that the full resources of the US govt. will be brought to bear to resolve this problem quickly and completely.

Respectfully,
pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: Anyone (12.16.111.---)
Date: March 23, 2009 12:42AM

To point out that other places have crime does not lessen that fact that SXM does have crime issues. How does pointing this out correct the problem or make it acceptable ????? Sorry the logic illudes me. The fact that crime exists somewhere else should make me feel confident to visit SXM?

SXM has other issues - traffic, timeshares companies ripping owners off, roads in very need of repair, over building - the list can go on. SXM - no longer a Carib experience - rather a cramp in a vaca.

It has always amazed me that pointing out the fact that "crime is everywhere" means it should be accepted on SXM or anywhere else. NOT.

Face it, SXM's draw is great beaches - but the build up on these beaches has also distracted from this asset.

Let's see - great (maybe better) beaches, less airfare, most likely the same good eats (or better) - I am staying state sides for a long while.

Date: March 23, 2009 07:11AM

Hey Anyone!

Perhaps you are reading more into Barb's post than is there.

I doubt Barb feels the present situation concerning crime on SXM,Vieques, Jamaica, Mexico, Antigua or a host of other islands is acceptable.

Barb herself has been a victim of daytime robbery and is well aware of the crime situation on SXM.

I take her point to be that crime is more rampant now than at any other time. Vieques is thus an example of how it has spread throughout the world of vacation spots.

We have had 3 or 4 weeks of outstanding SXM vacations since last November on SXM. We have been going for 8 years. We see and hear of increased gun crime and try to not put ourselves in the position to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Locals do the same thing, cruisers don't have the opportunity because they are not out at night.

One thing we have noted; Police on BOTH sides of SXM are stepping up to the issues by increasing controls, bringing in more help, being more visible and fully utilizing the Zero Tolerance Team. It seems that guns are being seized on a regular basis...a positive sign.

I doubt they will ever get a handle on petty crime, it doesn't involve violence, but if you watch I'm certain you will see the violent crime decrease.

As to staying State side; that's another option. We could never be satisfied with that plan. There is NO substitute for the Caribbean, with or without its warts.

Denis

Posted by: ANON (---.muf122.nycm.n54ny05r18.dsl.att.net)
Date: March 23, 2009 07:57AM

Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To point out that other places have crime does not
> lessen that fact that SXM does have crime issues.
> How does pointing this out correct the problem or
> make it acceptable ????? Sorry the logic illudes
> me. The fact that crime exists somewhere else
> should make me feel confident to visit SXM?
>
> SXM has other issues - traffic, timeshares
> companies ripping owners off, roads in very need
> of repair, over building - the list can go on.
> SXM - no longer a Carib experience - rather a
> cramp in a vaca.
>
> It has always amazed me that pointing out the fact
> that "crime is everywhere" means it should be
> accepted on SXM or anywhere else. NOT.
>
> Face it, SXM's draw is great beaches - but the
> build up on these beaches has also distracted from
> this asset.
>
> Let's see - great (maybe better) beaches, less
> airfare, most likely the same good eats (or
> better) - I am staying state sides for a long
> while.
anyone?
What are you talking about. The point I got from this is that crime is more prevalent throughout the Carribbean these days and we should all be aware and if your on your way to this particular island it's not as sleepy as it used to be.

Why did YOU want to take it down another slippry slope and make it a negative post about st martin? Your sounding like another one of those sxm naysayers. Go back and read the original post please. enjoy your stateside trips cause it sounds like you deserve them. No one is talking st martin here. Its about a sleepy little island off the coast of PR where the biggest problem they usually have there is people letting the horses run wild so why make it about st martin traffic, time shares and a bunch of other garbage.

Date: March 23, 2009 08:04AM

thank you Denis and ANON
glad you got what I was trying to show

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2009 04:35PM

Barbara...some people just don't get it!

Annie

Posted by: Anyone (12.16.111.---)
Date: March 23, 2009 08:35PM

No annie, I get it. Crime is everywhere and should be accepted - NOT. Yeah, outskirts in the carrib have flares up - it doesn't make it right anywhere, elsewhere with larger populations - PERIOD.

A vacation destination should be that - a vacation destiny - a place to relax, yo enjoy the surroundings.

SXM got too big too quick - no planning, just overwhelmed with itself. Others saw it and took advantage of it. And, they will until they know that the officials in SXM mean business - and - I don;t mean the sales on Front Street.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2009 08:46PM

New York is a vaccation place... Las Vegas, Miami Beach, Washington DC, San Fransisco are too... they are all place to relax and enjoy the surrounding, and they all have crime as SXM and Vieques have... at no point the original post was made to excuse, legitimise or explain the crime situation in sxm (or elsewhere..), it was pointing out the fact that unfortunatly it was everywhere including in places where you expect it the least, because people (who don't get it...) assume it is paradise! That's why Annie said that some people don't get it!...Don't be so angry

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 07:26AM

Phillipe...don't forget Orlando...it is a HUGE destination point with an extremely high crime rate.

Annie

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2009 07:41AM

Although a troll is unusual here on Go Beach, we definitely have one here. This poster clearly doesn't know Barbara and her position on crime on the island, and is simply trying to stir things up. I think the best thing we can do is ignore him/her.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |