- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Heineken Regatta 2009 trip report, BIGDENX
Posted by: islandbound (200.7.53.---)
Date: March 12, 2009 09:23PM

Denis - thank you again for your kind comments - I shall certainly pass them on to Ton & Martine who ran the Water Taxi Team. None of us do this for the credit, but that is not to say it is very nice to receive some! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SXMNorm (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 12, 2009 10:07PM

Thanks for the report Denis. Like most, anticipating your great pics.

Posted by: Rasputin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 17, 2009 01:09PM

As one of the Water Taxi drivers, I do appreciate the kind words.
And yes, special recognition should go to both Ton and to Martine.

Denis, I'm pretty sure that I was your "driver" on probably at least one occassion, but since my true identity is a secret, I guess we'll never know. winking smiley

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2009 01:57PM

yea, raspy, but some people DO know!!!!!!!!!!!!! grinning smiley

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.48.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 17, 2009 03:38PM

Hey Raspy!

Perhaps we met on the boats. Were you the one with the mask, Veuve Clicquot bottles in your kit and green duct tape holding your raingear on ?

Perhaps you need to come out of incognito world ...do it at Red Piano and you might get some real nice pics taken with the Choir Girls! A short 2 hr. nap in the P.M. allows for GEEZER QUALITY TIME after midnight !!

Nice DRY rides on the boats..THANKS !

Denis

Date: March 18, 2009 01:25PM

After working Water Taxi morning shift that starts at 7 a.m., and then getting done after working the evening shift that ends at 1 a.m., this geezer wasn't about to go to the Red Piano.

I may be incognito, but I'm not the one who spent the day aboard something designated "TOP SECRET" !

Rather ironic delivering press people to something that is "Top Secret".

I'm pretty sure I recognize you from the Yacht Club.

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 06:09PM

Doesn't it seem like "someone" owes 'everyone' a more detailed trip report than we've seen so far? I mean, "I was there" or "I drove the boat," really doesn't qualify as a trip report, does it?

I know I, for one, can't wait to read it!!

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: .Bruce (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 06:35PM

Just what i was thinking ..........lets hear it Denis

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.48.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2009 07:00PM

Hey Bruce!

Possibly I'm in error...BUT...I do believe Pat was referring to the elusive RASPY....I'm sure he'll report something soon. My jobs DONE and you're lucky I remembered as much as I did with a geezer memory and all those phone numbers and EM addys falling out of my wallet where the $$$$ used to be !

Denis

Posted by: .Bruce (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 07:40PM

But where are all of your pic's ? Denis hope we can meet up next trip ...

Date: March 19, 2009 08:43PM

Denis,

We missed being at Regatta this year but I have to tell you, your pictures are awesome. Not quite as good as being there in person, but pretty darned nice regardless.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Date: March 20, 2009 10:27AM

Trip Report:

I was there. I drove a boat. I had a good time.
I'm not in any of Denis's pictures.
I am still elusive. winking smiley

I did do one emergency rescue.
Overboard situation. Victim not tethered.
Successfully retrieved.

Victim was a prized hat blown overboard, after two attempts,
retrieved it soggy but no damage.

On a more serious note, did bring in two injuries.
Two separate occasions. First sailboat flagged me down, victim was a male with possible broken toes. Got him from sailboat to dock, where dock people take over to get him to proper medical attention.

Second occassion, was flagged down by a sailboat still underway, female with knee injury. Getting an injured person, whose leg they are trying to keep straight and immobile, off of a moving sailboat still underway is an interesting challenge.
Luckily I had a few passengers onboard (who are experienced sailors) who helped with the transfer. I also found out that one of those passengers also happened to be a medical doctor. We got her safely to shore.

Overall, I didn't hear of any serious injuries.
A couple of years back, one water taxi had to retrieve a sailor who had just severed his finger! I'm glad I didn't get any calls like that one.

During one of the Drawbridge openings, I towed a sailboat out of the Lagoon, we were bow to bow. In other words, I went through the bridge (at the head of the line) "driving" my boat backwards all the way, so he was going "forwards".
Long story as to reason for this, but it worked.
First time I've ever gone through a drawbridge going backwards.

This is the closests thing I've done to a trip report.
Have to be careful not to reveal my identity! eye popping smiley

Maybe most memorable moment was the emergency hat retrieval!

Date: March 20, 2009 05:03PM

Raspy,

I'd have to say that works.

Thanks for the humor!! It's been a rough day and I needed that!! smiling smileysmiling smiley

And I'm really glad you were able to accomplish all you set out to do - particularly the emergency rescue and recover mission!!

Respectfully,

pat
smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2009 06:22PM

that's the best trip report I ever read! >grinning smiley<

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: andrea (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 25, 2009 11:27PM

BIGDENX
Regatta was exceptional, high winds provided the action. HEINEKEN staged the 29th. event with the precision of a brain surgeon. Everything went off flawlessly and it’s a BIG job. Volunteers and the St. Martin Yacht Club worked to make HR-09 an event to be remembered by all.
>
Agreed. Great job by all organizers and volunteers!thumbs up

BIGDENX
Got to give a paragraph to KARAKTER…location, ambiance, service, quality and everything in between…what a great idea! This has got to be one of the best places to spend a day relaxing.
absolutely. Barbara and I had a lovely loooooong lunch w/ good food, almost cold (not enough for B! tongue sticking out smiley) beer, great conversations (both w/ each other and our very nice server) and cool, laid back vibe. If you want to enjoy a relaxing, quiet, and friendly place this is it. Will return for sure.

BIGDENX
RED PIANO continues to be a magnet for those able to start partying after midnight. Service is great, entertainment exceptional and you never know who will turn up. The spot provides INSTANT COMPANY…everybody talks, introduces, meets, dances and mingles nightly. The club is a mix of young and old, locals and tourists and serves the coldest beer and best mixed drinks on the Island.
NEVER a complaint about anything! Colin and Jason have created a business that’s powered by service and high quality. Bring energy ( even though you may need to power nap to get prepared) and stay the course..always a good time!
Spot on, D. And, there was something exceptional about this year b/c it was more fun than ever! smileys with beer It must have been the addition of more people to the Regatta w/e motley band of fools. Every night was new friends that will now become dear old friends. Seriously, where else can you start up random conversations w/ the person next to you and w/in minutes share emails b/c you know you want to meet up again? Great conversations. Tons of laughs. Loads of stories (some to tell, others to not) Those boys make EVERYONE feel like they are the king and queen of the bar that night. Not an easy task. (although, we are SURE we are their favorites! LMAO winking smiley )

I quickly met a few of the Penn crew. Roger briefly here and there. And, thankfully Peter was my Wailer mate for awhile after everyone else bailed. Heather - I saw her in passing (eating dinner @ 2 am @ RP on Sunday night? lol) but never officially met. sad smiley I sure hope to spend more time with them next time for sure! I think our crews could surely meet up for a stellar RP after party after party after party, g'nome i'm sayin? smileys with beer

It was a great Regatta for sure. I think my best yet! I just continue to meet the most amazing people and have just so much fun. Just seem to run out of time to see them all! (Thankfully, you know where to find most of them on any given night! lol) So sorry we only hooked up here and there @ your Maho perch and a few times @ RP. Maybe next time we should plan on a breakfast in the Maho area? .... on our way home? tongue sticking out smiley

peace smiling smiley

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |