The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Condition of Mullet Bay Beach in Mar 2009?
Posted by: fbrachman (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2009 07:17PM

Can anyone tell us what the condition of our favorite Mullet Bay beach is before we arrive in June 2009? We stay at Royal Islander LaPlage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Condition of Mullet Bay Beach in Mar 2009?
Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 08, 2009 09:42PM

fbrachman,

Mullet is also our beach of preference and while I understand your enthusiasm, I'm not sure what you're asking.

The beach is still there and Rosie's has been totally rebuilt and is fully functioning again. The beach itself will probably transform itself a multitude of times between now and June......it's not at all unusual for Mullet to be a wide and flat expanse of sand and gentle waters in the morning and then to return after lunch and find the waves crashing and the surf roaring and the sand cliffs starting to form.

When we were there last March the beach was actually closed to swimmers the last two days we were there because of the intensity of the waves and surf - this was the first time we'd ever seen this happen in all our many years and trips to St. Maarten and yet, the week before up to even the day before this happened, Mullets condition was calm with no indication of waves or strong surfs at all.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: fbrachman (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2009 08:27AM

Thanks Pat. Hurricaine Omar last October 2009 wiped out and closed our Royal Islander timeshare resort until its reopening this past Feb 2009. Clubs and restaurants along that entire side of the island were 100% destroyed too according to news reports. Just wondering if the beach sand is still in place at Mullet Bay Beach and whether it is open for sunbathing and swimming since I understand a lot of that beach sand was washed onto the adjacent golf course by Hurricaine Omar.

Posted by: ANON (---.muf122.nycm.n54ny05r18.dsl.att.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 08:51AM

wAS THERE post Omar and if it wasnt for the sand on the golf course and in the parking lot you wouldn't know there was a problem. Mullitt was fine after the storm but there was a lot of damage to the RI and in the Carvansari area. Rosey lost her stand but it was almost redone with the help of the badabing club. You will be able to enjoy the beach.

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 09, 2009 09:10AM

We were there in December and they had finished fixing Rosies. We watched how the men installed the roof and awning...

A few pics

Sorry about the size but too lazy to shrink...

The funny thing about the bottom photo is that some cruise ship passengers were actually touring Rosie's!!! That's them on the inside and out.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2009 09:12AM by John.

Posted by: Michele F (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: March 12, 2009 07:53PM

We were at Mullet both in December and February. The beach in Feb was in very good shape - lots of sand, very little slope (relatively speaking). Rosie's and Daleo's are now both much more substantial than pre-Omar. However, there are many more chairs and umbrellas, the new Towers chairs were delivered in early December as we watched, and there are numerous day trips from the cruise ships to the beach (by the Golden Eagle, other cats and taxis) so Mullet is much busier than we have found in the past. But what truly drives me crazy is the garbage on the beach!! When we arrive in November, it is just after the annual clean up, and the beach is beautiful. By Feb, there are cigarette butts everywhere, and we made a daily effort to clean up the trash on the beach (cups, plates, bottles, even a soggy baguette), to no avail, so it felt.

Only 8 months til we go again.

Michele

Posted by: mikentara (---.153.5.25.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: March 13, 2009 11:07AM

Mullet is one of our favorite beaches, too.
The trash in January was awful. Mostly back in the bushes area as you approach from the parking lot.
Maybe next time we will organize a clean up, lemon drop, whatever party!

is st martin back in shape...
Posted by: karen (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2009 09:07AM

Is St. Martin back in shape. I realize the hurricanes have been beating the snot out of the island for the last 10 years.. but has Mullet Bay been restored to its former self? does anyone know of spas on the island?
Has the golf course been restored? I would like to visit with my fiance' and his mom in May the week after mothers day.

Thanks

Re: is st martin back in shape...
Date: May 02, 2009 10:25AM

Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is St. Martin back in shape. I realize the
> hurricanes have been beating the snot out of the
> island for the last 10 years.. but has Mullet Bay
> been restored to its former self? does anyone know
> of spas on the island?
> Has the golf course been restored? I would like to
> visit with my fiance' and his mom in May the week
> after mothers day.
>
> Thanks

Karen,

The hurricanes have been hitting the island with regularity over time but we noticed no significant differences from previous visits in most areas of the island. The hurricanes are a horrible reality of life in the Caribbean but with a few exceptions, much of what is destroyed because of them usually returns bigger and better than before - or at least, with the exception of a few major hotels, this has been our experience.

You asked specifically about Mullet Bay and I'm not sure if you're asking about the beach itself or the resort but in either event, the beach is the beach and it's still one of the nicest on the island, IMO. Rosie's rib stand was destroyed in the hurricane last fall but it's all been rebuilt and the ribs haven't changed at all - they're still delicious!! We were there for two weeks in April, and aside from the trash on the beach from the island revelers which was ultimately cleaned up in its entirety, we enjoyed Mullet for the whole of our trip.

As for Mullet Bay Resort, once the premier property in that area, there has been no change in its status and the only difference you'll see is the defunct buildings in even rattier shape than they were the year before and the year before that, etc., etc., etc. A settlement was reached with the Mullet Bay unit owners but no improvements have been made to the property itself and given the current economic climate, I doubt there will be for a while.

The golf course has not been redone - there's no working sprinkler system and while we were there it was like playing on straw greens but people still did. Someone mentioned the 'traps' had been rebuilt but I have no idea what that means. It's still pretty much a mess IMO but some will play and they seem to have fun.

Spas? There are plenty - one at Sonesta and there's one in one of the newer properties at Cupecoy, not to mention LaSamana and I'm sure there are plenty more.

Respectfully,

pat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2009 10:27AM by pat.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 02, 2009 10:56AM

Pat, hurricanes have been hitting us with regularity? well, not really.
we had Omar last year which caused some damage in beacon hill and Simpson bay but it was not a direct hit.
and before that the last hurricane we had was in 1999.
so that is an 9 year span with nothing
the status of Mullet bay and the golf course has more to do with the negligence of mankind than it does with Mother Nature.
Cheers!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: May 02, 2009 03:19PM

Sorry about that, Barbara - I should have been more specific in my thoughts.

In my mind I was thinking that hurricanes have hit fairly regularly over the past 35 - 36 years we've been visiting, but you're correct - and the last major hits were a while ago, thank God! We can only hope and pray it stays that way for the benefit of all the good people of your island.

Omar wasn't a direct hit but it sure did more than its fair share of damage from Simpson all the way over to Mullet Bay so thank God it wasn't any more direct than it was. And regarding Mullet Bay and the golf course, not only is its present condition a combination of Mother Nature's payback and mankind's negligence but you might also toss in mankind's pure and simple abuse as well and that's the part I'll truly never get. eye popping smiley

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 02, 2009 03:22PM

yea, pat, that's the part that is hard to fathom, isn't it?

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: wanderlust (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2009 05:23PM

thank you for the feed back

Posted by: jaf613 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2009 11:00AM

We just got back on Saturday. Mullet Beach is wonderful. Since we were there two years ago, they have added more umbrellas and chairs. Rosie's still has great bar b que chicken. The bathroom facilities were the only downside. The plumbing cannot handle the amount of people that have found this wonderful spot.

Posted by: Beth Swartz (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 21, 2009 09:25PM

Glad to hear that Mullet is back to its normal self. Does anyone know about the beach in front of the Royal Islander? I'd heard it was largely wiped out with Omar, and wondered if it's been swept back in again. I'll be staying there in July. I always hit Mullet Beach as well.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |